Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here I am,Did not even put 1000 miles on my 07 kingpin,looking at the belt ,read the manual tried the method ,the belt is tracking too far too the outside,I do not think its much too worry about,I want my belt too run on the center of the pullys,anyone have a better idea than the book?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Good luck

I do not believe you will find many belts tracking in the middle of the rear pulley. Check the bikes at the dealers not just Victorys but other brands also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,I dont think its too big of a problem,I will keep my eye on it for a while.Just needed too hear it from somebody else.

·
13,026 Posts
Go for ride and when you get up to 60 or 70 take hands off bars.
Bike should slowly drift to right
If it goes fast left or fast right belt is out of alignment.
You will not get the 70 thousand miles out it, and your rear brake pads will net wear even

·
Registered
361 Posts
Use the right side adjuster to set belt tension & the left side to adjust alignment. It's almost impossible to get the belt to run in the center and sometimes when you do get it you loose it when you torque the axle bolt-it's a tough one to get perfection on. I'm happy with the belt just off the right side so it doesn't squeek on the Vision-My '99's belt runs perfectly centered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use the right side adjuster to set belt tension & the left side to adjust alignment. It's almost impossible to get the belt to run in the center and sometimes when you do get it you loose it when you torque the axle bolt-it's a tough one to get perfection on. I'm happy with the belt just off the right side so it doesn't squeek on the Vision-My '99's belt runs perfectly centered.
Thank you I will keep this in mind.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yea, nailing the belt adjustment is an art for sure!thumb up

I've had mine on my jack 5 or 6 times trying to "nail it". If you try to set it up to run right in the middle of the pulley it will migrate to the outside quickly as the torque of the motor tries to pull the rear pulley toward the front pulley.

You need to set up up so the belt rides to the inside of the rear pulley. It took me several attempts as each "middle" pulley adjustment worked to the outside within a couple of miles. Finally adjusting it to the inside and taking a 100 miles ride the belt is almost touching the inside of the rear pulley and not making a sound.

BTW a slightly "loose" belt will ALWAYS work towards the outside of the rear pulley no matter how it's adjusted making it squeak like crazy. It took a lot of trial and error to figure this out! thumb up

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes its normal, the key work here is "slowly" If your belt tracks correctly, your bike goes straight down the road and feels good, that does not mean that your rear tire is properly aligned. That will eat it up pretty quick, don't ask me how I know this!!

I for one just do not have the touch for a belt alignment. For that I take it in to a local independent shop, they have a jig for that. Perfect every time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've owned 3 Victorys, currently have a 2011 Kingpin. Every one of them drifted/pulled to the right. The KP drifts slowly, I guess, so I guess it's OK(?). I wish tracking straight was "normal"!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
So this is considered normal?
No, just one of symptoms that can arise. It's actually bad information and don't suggest using it to align your belt. As stated above align it to the inside of the rear pulley after you have set your tension. So many variables on why your bike will track straight, sure the belt is one of them but the crown of the road can change it all..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
There is more than one way to skin a cat right? True enough but the various methods start with the way the factory dictates.

The manual offers a standard step by step method. You need some standard tools and a belt tension gauge which is uber cheap.

I have my own tricks for this process but the bottom line is that if you can't get good alignment using the method prescribed by the manufacturer then there is something not kosher in Denmark. Belt drive systems number in the millions in use. Millions in use that track correctly and do not squeal. This ain't rocket scientry. That there are plenty of examples of belt drives on the road that are not tracking correctly is true but that fact is not a reason to accept that belts should track incorrectly.

A Victory belt should transfer power reliably, should track properly and should perform those functions, based on attention to adjustment at 5000 mile increments for a lifetime of 30,000 miles. This data is for my bike. Yours may vary but the key thing is, this data is defined by the manufacturer and the manufacturer bases that data on maintenance efforts performed per the manual. If you get more or better, good on ya. Less or below that standard, bad on Ma Vc for dictating otherwise.

If the belt does not meet the design criteria of the manufacturer using the adjustment methods defined by the manufacturer, then by definition something is out of specification. If you choose to put up with a primary component of your driveline operating out of specification, that is a personal decision. I can't find any disclaimer in the manufacturer literature that excuses poor tracking and belt squeal or recommends off center tracking or the use of candlewax or horse liniment or whatever to silence belt noise. But hey, I'm cheap and when I buy a machine I expect performance to meet the baseline defined in the documents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've owned 3 Victorys, currently have a 2011 Kingpin. Every one of them drifted/pulled to the right. The KP drifts slowly, I guess, so I guess it's OK(?). I wish tracking straight was "normal"!

No kidding! First victory and first bike that pulled right as soon as you let off the bars. Didn't seem "normal" first time I noticed!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Put the bike just off the ground. Loosen the rear axle (not too loose).
Lay on the floor and spin the rear wheel.
Be sure the belt is tracking dead center on the front pulley and the tension is at 5/8" max (cold belt/bike).
Tighten axle, double check it, then put a bit of torque on the adjusters.

My bike goes straight when I let go of the bars... just follows the crown of the road.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Here's a hint about belt alignment... the belt should just slightly track towards the outside of the pulley. Shhh... don't tell anyone, it's hidden away in only a few 10's of thousands of owners manuals.

Please continue to keep this well documented and commented on procedure a secret!

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts