Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,I got paint flaking off my rear pulley,no problem whip the wheel off,remove pulley then prep and repaint it. Easy eh? Not on your life,jack up bike onto blocks,slacken rear wheel nut and withdraw spindle. No,not unless you remove the heatshields and exhaust system first. Why wasnt the spindle inserted from the left side so it could be removed without touching the pipes.Things like this are so bloody infuriating.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Slide your axle to the right just a bit and remove the lock / oval washer , it is grooved , then pull the axle out the left side ... Easy .

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
566 Posts
I just went through this on my hammer, and initially was ticked that I had to slide the stock mufflers off as part of the process, but in the end it turned out to be easy. I don't know how that would work with aftermarket pipes, if the mufflers don't separate from the rest of the exhaust system. That could be quiet a pain.

Still, shaft drive bikes are much more complex, and there are even belt driven ones that are way worse than victories. We have it reasonably easy I think.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm with you mate. The blasted engineer that designed it NEVER will and never intended to work on it so why the hell would they care right! It sure isn't the first time I've seen this kind of stupid. You have to take half the front of a Honda car off to change the freaking alternator. Hey, it LOOKED good on "paper". Bunch of maroons I say... ;-)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When I went to work @ a race shop one of the old school guys that worked there told me this little ditty. Behind every good train wreck is and engineer. Sad but oh so true. You have to wonder whay folks with so much brains are so inept at common sense.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
So,I got paint flaking off my rear pulley,no problem whip the wheel off,remove pulley then prep and repaint it. Easy eh? Not on your life,jack up bike onto blocks,slacken rear wheel nut and withdraw spindle. No,not unless you remove the heatshields and exhaust system first. Why wasnt the spindle inserted from the left side so it could be removed without touching the pipes.Things like this are so bloody infuriating.
Did you read the service manual instructions for removing the rear wheel?

Doesn't sound like it.

1. Secure motorcycle in a stand with straps.
2. Place a platform jack under the engine. Elevate the
motorcycle enough to take the weight off the rear
wheel, but still leave the wheel touching the platform.
NOTE: Muffler removal is not required.
3. Remove the lower shock bolt and lower pushrod bolts
from the swingarm.
4. Raise the motorcycle high enough to gain access to the
axle nut. Remove axle nut.
5. Using a soft-faced mallet, tap axle to the right until
retaining plate is clear of the swingarm and remove
plate.
6. Remove axle from right side of swing arm.
NOTE: Axle adjuster nuts do not have to be loosened or
removed, however, belt tension and alignment must be
inspected after assembly.
7. Elevate the motorcycle until the swingarm shock
mount is raised a minimum of 12 inches (305 mm).
8. Remove the drive belt-side wheel spacer and
disengage drive belt from rear sprocket.
9. Remove rear caliper carrier assembly from swing arm.
10. Secure brake caliper assembly to swing arm with tie
strap or support it so it does not hang by the brake line.
11. Remove rear wheel from left side of the motorcycle

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Did you read the service manual instructions for removing the rear wheel?

Doesn't sound like it.

1. Secure motorcycle in a stand with straps.
2. Place a platform jack under the engine. Elevate the
motorcycle enough to take the weight off the rear
wheel, but still leave the wheel touching the platform.
NOTE: Muffler removal is not required.
3. Remove the lower shock bolt and lower pushrod bolts
from the swingarm.
4. Raise the motorcycle high enough to gain access to the
axle nut. Remove axle nut.
5. Using a soft-faced mallet, tap axle to the right until
retaining plate is clear of the swingarm and remove
plate.
6. Remove axle from right side of swing arm.
NOTE: Axle adjuster nuts do not have to be loosened or
removed, however, belt tension and alignment must be
inspected after assembly.
7. Elevate the motorcycle until the swingarm shock
mount is raised a minimum of 12 inches (305 mm).
8. Remove the drive belt-side wheel spacer and
disengage drive belt from rear sprocket.
9. Remove rear caliper carrier assembly from swing arm.
10. Secure brake caliper assembly to swing arm with tie
strap or support it so it does not hang by the brake line.
11. Remove rear wheel from left side of the motorcycle

#3 easiest way to lower the rear wheel with the bags and mufflers in place. This is how I've been doing it.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
When I went to work @ a race shop one of the old school guys that worked there told me this little ditty. Behind every good train wreck is and engineer. Sad but oh so true. You have to wonder whay folks with so much brains are so inept at common sense.
I hear ya Brother! I've even sat in the design chair and wondered
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...over?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Isn't Goon riding a Vegas ? His axle should slide right out the left side after removing the oval lock . He will need to drop the swing arm down to remove the wheel , but the axle will still slide right out .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Personally , I think the design is flawless . Very simple .

Reactions: SilvrT

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I took off my own rear (and front) wheels to get the tires changed and followed the process in the manual related to removing the rear shock links. Removal of the muffler or heat shields was NOT required. However, note that my bike is a XCT. I don't recall seeing the model of Victory bike the OP complained about. Perhaps the removal of the rear axle on his model bike is not as simple.

I am an engineer and I can assure you that maintenance and repairs are considered when designing any item. However, there are other factors in play as well including ease of original manufacture, cost of parts, cost of design, sequence of manufacturing steps, availability of parts, safety, reliability, governmental regulations, and others. All of these things must be balanced when designing an item including cars and motorcycles. We as shade tree mechanics see only the one aspect of this - ease of maintenance. Our ignorance of all the other factors can make it seem that the design engineer made an error. While this is certainly possible and has happened, it is rare and unlikely. Much more likely is that other factors were balanced against the maintenance ease and in this case maintenance ease suffered.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
His signature says he has a 2010 Vegas . I don't think he realizes when he removes the lock washer the axle slides right out to the left ... I had a 2013 Hammer and the setup is identical ....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The OP has gone radio silent , he must have got it sorted .

·
13,262 Posts
axles go in from right side for safety reasons. We as users switch them to left side cause we know better

1 - 17 of 17 Posts