Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago with about 1000miles on the bike I wanted to see what the bike could do! When my speedo hit around 109 and above she starts to wobble our shimming really bad, I backed off and tried it again and she did the samething. I took her to the dealer and was shocked that there was nothing they do because the don't have the equipment plus they can't try and duplicate the situation for insurance reason, I totally understand. I was told they will contact Polaris about this situation. In the mean time I may end up taking it to another bike shop to check wheels for balance.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hmmm, you don't really NEED to go that fast, do you? I've had mine for 3.5 years and never been over 85 (maybe 90) & even that was only when passing so could not tell ya how it would perform @ 110MPH nor would I ever want to find out. I also think that these bikes may top out close to that figure unless you've added the CAMs and such. I do know that the HotVic folks built a "monster" Hammer Vic that got to some insane speed (180MPH or maybe even 200MPH) on a closed airport's runway. Good luck getting an answer though cheers

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
It gets windy above 90 anyway....:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
My vegas has a wobble around that speed too. Not sure if it's the windshield or tires it goes away after I get it up close to the cutoff tho. I have to laugh tho, you really think the dealer would take a bike over 110 to find a wobble? I wouldn't expect a good answwr from ma vic either. Probably something along the lines of the bike is designed to ride at a safe legal speed blah blah blah we don't recommend you going over posted speed limits.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Only a 1000 mi on my XC and haven't been over 90ish. Wobble can be caused by many different variables. Being your Vic is new I doubt its tire wear but do check the psi. One would thing the fork oil is okay. Run a string line to check rear tire alignment. Make sure head bolts are not loose. The issue could be as simple as buffeting up under the wing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 2010 cross roads with 7000 miles on it is rock solid at 115. That's with the medium vic windshield. Don't know if it matters but it has dyna beads in the tires.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have not had a high speed shimmy on this bike and it's spent a considerable amount of time in the general area you are having yours. Mine has the Tour package and has been run in the trips with trunk on/ trunk off and the "air management" gear in whatever state the weather calls for. I am a big boy so that may settle the bike somewhat but at speed I don't think it's a defining factor. These aluminum bikes are pretty stable. All I'm saying is it's not an expected condition.

Since your bike has just turned 1k, and assuming that the dealer didn't go mucking about too much at the 500 mile service, the hardware should be factory true and brandy new. I would look at tire wear in, air pressure and, at three digit speeds tire balance or lack thereof, both tires of course. There's a bunch of possible suspects but I would start with the rubber. Easy to diagnose and easy to remedy although not always the cheapest. While you have a pressure gauge in hand a review of the shock loading can't hurt either. These are simple bits but they can make a machine squirrely.

I don't see much dif in 85 or a buckten. Bugs and Peterbilts do just about the same damage either way. Then again I tend to ride in the big empty and my speed is strictly proportional to the distance between Cum and Go's. 100+ out in the willywags just gets you to no fuel and no good options that much quicker but if I know there's another gas pump within 100 miles of the one I just left then 110 mph is a comfortable straight line speed. I doubt though that I would report the circumstances to the dealer so freely while your bike is still under warranty. Sometimes selective honesty is the best policy.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
These aluminum bikes are pretty stable. All I'm saying is it's not an expected condition.
I did get mine to get a little unstable the other day. I wasn't doing anywhere near 100, but I was banked hard over in a corner and hit a good sized rock with the front tire that put the bars into a good wag. I stayed on the throttle and it came out of it, but it was my first experience of the bike feeling anything but rock solid.

·
13,002 Posts
check air in tires using a good gauge. Vic's gauge is junk.
If you want longer life out of tire by a gauge not one of those pencil ones.
Check air in shock. Do Not use air compressor to add air you'll blow it up.
Wobble could be a bad tire maybe not on the out side but on the inside could have a bad cord. They should check the balance of tire. If you can push for new tires long as your bike is new.
Wobbles come from the back end.

A guy here bought a CC and had same problem dealer said thats the way they are. He crash 3 months later and now is suing the service manger the sales men and the dealer. Rummer is 50 million

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
110+ good

Had mine up there the other day rode fine, no unusual wobbling or vibrations. A while back I had a cross wind and was going a tad over 100mph backed out of it was not rock solid with that cross wind. Oh yes and of course I only take the bike up to those speeds for short distances for test purpose only. It was a long day on a HOT HOT day in July or June.

·
Registered
131 Posts
To add to my and other post suggestions; the next time the wobble happens try the following though it does take a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to perform...

Throttle up slightly (increase speed) while keeping a very light grip on the bars and you should come out of the wobble.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
A guy here bought a CC and had same problem dealer said thats the way they are. He crash 3 months later and now is suing the service manger the sales men and the dealer. Rummer is 50 million
:ltr: - I don't think Victory or that dealer have a thing to be concerned about with the following argument... "Claiment was travelling 110MPH and experienced a wobble that caused him to crash". There is not a judge or jury IN THE WORLD that would put ANY responsibility on Victory. That's like saying "I was INTENTIONALLY breaking the law by traveling more than TWICE the legal limit"... Sorry sir but your COMPLETE disregard for your safety and that of others makes you a menance to society and YOU created the conditions for wrecking your bike, not the manufaturer or the dealer that sold it to you. The door is this was...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm, you don't really NEED to go that fast, do you? I've had mine for 3.5 years and never been over 85 (maybe 90) & even that was only when passing so could not tell ya how it would perform @ 110MPH nor would I ever want to find out. I also think that these bikes may top out close to that figure unless you've added the CAMs and such. I do know that the HotVic folks built a "monster" Hammer Vic that got to some insane speed (180MPH or maybe even 200MPH) on a closed airport's runway. Good luck getting an answer though cheers
ndabunka your right I don't, but I wanted to see what she would do. I have a completed the Advance Rider Course (MSF) and my last to bikes where 04 Hayabusa & 09 ZX-14 and I can tell you I've been well above the century mark and neither of my bikes had I experienced that before. So to me, if Victory did not put a speed limit warning out about speed over 110 then I have a problem that Victory needs to address. Oh, did I fail to mention that there Harley Davidson riders riding with me and none of them had any issues cause they all passed me up!:eek:

·
Registered
427 Posts
ndabunka your right I don't, but I wanted to see what she would do. I have a completed the Advance Rider Course (MSF) and my last to bikes where 04 Hayabusa & 09 ZX-14 and I can tell you I've been well above the century mark and neither of my bikes had I experienced that before. So to me, if Victory did not put a speed limit warning out about speed over 110 then I have a problem that Victory needs to address. Oh, did I fail to mention that there Harley Davidson riders riding with me and none of them had any issues cause they all passed me up!:eek:
Those bikes are designed to go fast (maybe not the Harleys). I'm sure victory has something in the manual about travelling at legal speeds. That being said it's probably something to do with the setup (tire pressure/shock pressure, windshield size or maybe just the right crosswind at the time). Do some basic adjustments and try, try againcheers.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Not certain why you would think that the advanced rider course would give you any "street cred" authorizing you to travel at terminal velocities (that's 50% joke, 50% sincere) but regardless I DO agree that it needs to be addressed. Another forum guy had issues that were related to air pressures either in his tires or the rear suspension travel so look into that first. You can't let a Harley PASS you! :D

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Not certain why you would think that the advanced rider course would give you any "street cred" authorizing you to travel at terminal velocities (that's 50% joke, 50% sincere) but regardless I DO agree that it needs to be addressed. Another forum guy had issues that were related to air pressures either in his tires or the rear suspension travel so look into that first. You can't let a Harley PASS you! :D
Oddly enough; front end wobble can usually be traced to the back end somewhere. Alignment, tire issue of some kind, belt tracking, shock(s), or even a loose swingarm.

Not always though. The neck bearing might be adjusted wrong, a change in aerodynamics such as lowers or a windshield, and of course as mentioned; the front tire.

The key is to start at the back and work forward. Just because the bike is new does not exempt it from issues not normally seen on a new bike. That goes for any make/model.

A friend let me ride his Katana one time and I thought he was joking when he said to keep it under 150 mph. I hopped on the freeway and zipped through the gears like it was nothing and was majorly surprised when I looked down and saw the needle sitting at 150. I brought the bike back to him and I am not ashamed to admit I was shaking a bit. I would get in serious trouble with a bike like that on a full time basis. It was my lucky day and no cops saw me being stupid.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Had mine up there first day I bought it, it was 3 years old so broken in, had fresh oil and was arrow straight.

·
Registered
415 Posts
MrXC2014 said:
Harley Davidson riders riding with me and none of them had any issues cause they all passed me up!
I believe that the problem lies with your speedometer, it's highly unlikely that you were moving along at 110 mph when Harleys passed you. I'd guess that you probably have your speedo set to KPH instead of MPH.:eek:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I believe that the problem lies with your speedometer, it's highly unlikely that you were moving along at 110 mph when Harleys passed you. I'd guess that you probably have your speedo set to KPH instead of MPH.:eek:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
That’s alright, sounds feasible tho....:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts