Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know Polaris said their goal was to close Victory within 18 months of making the announcement they murdered Victory Motorcycles back in Jan of 2017. Yes, of course they stopped making new Victory bikes right away. And in the time since the announcement Polaris has done their best to shove anything and everything 'Victory' out of every Polaris warehouse. As well as bend over as many Victory dealers as possible.

"When are you going to trade that Victory in on an Indian?" I've heard at too many dealers. My standard answer is: "Never, never again will anything Polaris be on my potential new motorcycle list." "Yea, I here that a lot from Victory owners." "I'll bet you do."

So after all the legal issues involved with closing the brand are dealt with, my question is: When do you think Polaris Industries will officially close the (legal) books on the Victory Motorcycles brand?

My guess: July 4, 2018 thereby giving the brand a life span of 20 years from the official starting date of production to it's ultimate demise.

What are your thoughts?

The lies about parts being available for 10 years doesn't mean the 'brand' hasn't officially been closed. So I didn't factor any parts lip service into my ultimate demise guesstimate.

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
This is a very good question I hope we can find the answer to.

I'm thinking I read somewhere the dealerships were legally obligated for one year from the date Polaris screwed us all, er, announced the closing of Victory.

With the fire sales of the bikes and accessories; one wonders what Polaris plans to do when parts are needed since they are obligated for 10 years. I'm guessing they will continue to make available certain parts like belts and what their internal numbers show as frequent wear parts but the rest will simply be labeled discontinued thus screwing us again.

Don't wreck the bike expecting any insurance company to fix it with new parts. They won't be available. Many things over 10 years old is already unavailable for anything older than a 2008.

Kurbs is saying he heard they have a "nice surprise" for us but after what Polaris has done; I'm not holding my breath for anything truly significant. I guess I'm still in shock that a motor company would go through all the trouble to build one of the best production motorcycles around then seemingly on a whim; kill it like it was nothing when so many people had invested so much into helping the brand succeed and I'm not talking about customers; I'm talking about aftermarket parts makers, brand mechanics, and dealerships.

If I ever get the chance to tell Scott Wine what I think of their decision to shutter Victory; his ears will be bleeding red.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd say from the parts availability to clearing out the current accessory inventory it won't be much later than the new year.

Since they have continued to blow stuff out the door in what looks like a attempt to bury the name faster, they will at most release a Vic type bike under the Injun name in the future.

Now, if they released one with a 50 MM cannon on the front instead of a horn and called it the Apache..I may consider an Injun product..lol

Since they have very little left as far as accessories and parts are already a PITA, it is also reasonable to think that parts will only be available before long for warranty issues only within a couple years.

Some have said that if they introduce a newer high powered Vic engine under Indian they would buy one. Not me. It will take more time than I have on Earth to gain my trust back from Polaris that they will remain a motorcycle maker without dumping an entire product line when they lose a few bucks.

Harley will most likely bury Injuns within 5 years anyway if they continue their [email protected] and find a way to drop the costs to the public. Why Polaris dropped them vs. having Injun as a 'premium' brand and keeping Vics as a working mans brand I'll never know. But having both in the showroom could have bought some serious exposure to Victory to the public that they lacked the past 18 years.

Looking at the price on both HD and Injuns they run around the same so why would I allow Polaris to screw me again? For the same money I would buy HD and know damn well parts and service will be around. Or buy a BMW or Triumph. I like thoroughbreds. The only Jap bike that seems to be one is the goldwing. Not my style though.

If Injun starts dropping they would end those and probably try and bring back the Vincent or another dead brand for 10 years before that fad ends.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
I'd say from the parts availability to clearing out the current accessory inventory it won't be much later than the new year.

Since they have continued to blow stuff out the door in what looks like a attempt to bury the name faster, they will at most release a Vic type bike under the Injun name in the future.

Now, if they released one with a 50 MM cannon on the front instead of a horn and called it the Apache..I may consider an Injun product..lol

Since they have very little left as far as accessories and parts are already a PITA, it is also reasonable to think that parts will only be available before long for warranty issues only within a couple years.

Some have said that if they introduce a newer high powered Vic engine under Indian they would buy one. Not me. It will take more time than I have on Earth to gain my trust back from Polaris that they will remain a motorcycle maker without dumping an entire product line when they lose a few bucks.

Harley will most likely bury Injuns within 5 years anyway if they continue their [email protected] and find a way to drop the costs to the public. Why Polaris dropped them vs. having Injun as a 'premium' brand and keeping Vics as a working mans brand I'll never know. But having both in the showroom could have bought some serious exposure to Victory to the public that they lacked the past 18 years.

Looking at the price on both HD and Injuns they run around the same so why would I allow Polaris to screw me again? For the same money I would buy HD and know damn well parts and service will be around. Or buy a BMW or Triumph. I like thoroughbreds. The only Jap bike that seems to be one is the goldwing. Not my style though.

If Injun starts dropping they would end those and probably try and bring back the Vincent or another dead brand for 10 years before that fad ends.
My thoughts are in general, people are sell outs. Give them a year or two and they will lay down and throw money at Polaris for the next shiney thing then cry like a 12 year old girl when the rug is pulled out again.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
chattanooga mark said:
when is the end of victory official?
9/23/2017 ...

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
My dealer and Polaris made a deal. They will continue to service Victory Motorcycles for the 10 year period. That came directly from the general manager. I was also told that, the same day from the service manager. So I should be in good shape for a while.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My thoughts are in general, people are sell outs. Give them a year or two and they will lay down and throw money at Polaris for the next shiney thing then cry like a 12 year old girl when the rug is pulled out again.
You forgot to add that most people are stupid and have have very short memories which will merely add to their willingness to throw more money at Polaris at some time in the future.... oh look, a squirrel :)

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: Kurbs

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Not this girl. ;) :devil

·
13,263 Posts
Last week our city laid to rest a police officer who was ran over by a texting drunk driving women. There was like 50 motorcycle cops in the perspiration. There was 8 black victory cc police bikes.
So I'm guessing the only reason polaris is keeping vic's around for 10 years is cause of the police bikes and am guessing a contract they have with them.
My vision is worth spit so I'll ride it till I die. Chuckle chuckle I was riding today and noting but happiness

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You forgot to add that most people are stupid and have have very short memories which will merely add to their willingness to throw more money at Polaris at some time in the future.... oh look, a squirrel :)

G'day,

Vinish
On most things I'd agree with this. But buying a high end (expensive) motorcycle like H-D, Polaris Indian, BMW etc. is more of an emotional purchase than a simple transaction/tech data sheet purchase. Therefore I don't see Polaris getting around what they did to Victory for a very long time. At two events this last weekend I heard it several times from many people. They were unanimous in their feelings to never trust Polaris. They plan to either switch to H-D, stayed with them or stayed with their current (non Polaris) brand.

Even a BMW K1600 GTL rider was thoroughly disgusted with Polaris and said he'd never trust them. He never owned a Victory or a Polaris Indian and now never will. BMW motorcycles are a small percentage of the overall BMW company. But no one can see them doing what Polaris did to Victory. Same with Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc. etc.

I listened to a Law Abiding Biker podcast last night. The first one I ever listened to and likely the last. Anyway, a guest, or maybe he was a co-host, spent most of the podcast talking about why he sold off his Victory CCT for a new M8 H-D. I have no idea how many people hear their podcasts but it was fairly brutal towards Polaris. Not in an overt way as they both said they really liked the bikes and the line. But Polaris doing what they did, opened a large can of 'issues' with Polaris going forward for them and why they agreed to pass on a Polaris Indian in favor of H-D.

Another thread talks about a Polaris rumor that Victory owners will 'be pleased' with some upcoming Polaris Indian model. I'll say what I said earlier. Polaris coming out with a Polaris Indian that somehow pays homage to Victory, a brand they murdered, would be worse than stupid. Like GM coming out with a Chevrolet model to honor Saturn. Polaris kills off Victory, in favor of their Indian purchase, because Victory's didn't sell well enough. Then why on earth come out with anything that would remember or pay homage to Victory under the Polaris Indian badge.? Can Polaris senior management really be that tone deaf and unaware? I hope not, but I don't have faith they're not.

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bean counters got involved. Them jokers are what killed my last job, I'm convinced. I subscribe to the LAB you tube channel, but he is highly slanted towards HD. Most DIY stuff they have on there is HD focus. Is there anything else? I have not had a chance tosee the new Yamaha Transcontinental touring bike.

·
Registered
426 Posts
On most things I'd agree with this. But buying a high end (expensive) motorcycle like H-D, Polaris Indian, BMW etc. is more of an emotional purchase than a simple transaction/tech data sheet purchase. Therefore I don't see Polaris getting around what they did to Victory for a very long time. At two events this last weekend I heard it several times from many people. They were unanimous in their feelings to never trust Polaris. They plan to either switch to H-D, stayed with them or stayed with their current (non Polaris) brand.

Even a BMW K1600 GTL rider was thoroughly disgusted with Polaris and said he'd never trust them. He never owned a Victory or a Polaris Indian and now never will. BMW motorcycles are a small percentage of the overall BMW company. But no one can see them doing what Polaris did to Victory. Same with Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc. etc.

I listened to a Law Abiding Biker podcast last night. The first one I ever listened to and likely the last. Anyway, a guest, or maybe he was a co-host, spent most of the podcast talking about why he sold off his Victory CCT for a new M8 H-D. I have no idea how many people hear their podcasts but it was fairly brutal towards Polaris. Not in an overt way as they both said they really liked the bikes and the line. But Polaris doing what they did, opened a large can of 'issues' with Polaris going forward for them and why they agreed to pass on a Polaris Indian in favor of H-D.

Another thread talks about a Polaris rumor that Victory owners will 'be pleased' with some upcoming Polaris Indian model. I'll say what I said earlier. Polaris coming out with a Polaris Indian that somehow pays homage to Victory, a brand they murdered, would be worse than stupid. Like GM coming out with a Chevrolet model to honor Saturn. Polaris kills off Victory, in favor of their Indian purchase, because Victory's didn't sell well enough. Then why on earth come out with anything that would remember or pay homage to Victory under the Polaris Indian badge.? Can Polaris senior management really be that tone deaf and unaware? I hope not, but I don't have faith they're not.
Nice comments. I do disagree on a couple of things. BMW is not always a high priced bike, though they do have some higher priced models. In my opinion, they are fine machines in many ways that are really hard to beat, a lot like Vics. BMW also has the power of the automotive company behind it as well. Newer Harleys are not that much more than Polaris was asking for new hammers and KP's, Vegas etc. a couple years back. The major difference is they do not offer any military type discounts.

Triumph may very well be the next 'Victory' so to speak. They have great technology and performance for a working mans' price.

I tested a Thunderbird at Randys last Fall and the acceleration, braking, shifting, and handling were incredible. If they made that model in Mens' sizes I would have one. Woodstock Harley just opened a Triumph dealer last year or so. Right down from the HD store. And they are doing great. I see more Triumphs than I do Vics around here.

They also make sports bikes, cruisers, touring, and bobbers. Now with HD trying to break into the under 1,000 CC market with the street bikes, and almost buying Ducati...you can see where a true motorcycle company differs from a ATV snowmobile company that tried to sell motorcycles as far as looking at the true market and future market of bikes.

Polaris did some stupid things. Ending the KP instead of adding better newer designs to it. Bringing out the Judge and BW both of which had very short lives. I sat on a BW same time I bought my Pin and it was too small. Too low, I sat with my grapes on the tank and my knees came over the tank. Even Randy looked and said 'Yeah that's a bit small for you'. If he did not have the KP sitting in the back I would not be on a Vic right now at all. The fit fell and finish of the bike is what sold me. He had no other bikes I tested that had that "gotcha" and I emphatically told him I'd be seen on a Jap bike before being seen on a Vision.

Bringing out the TT electric that got only 60 Miles to the charge. Then re-badging the Octane as a Scout with less performance.

Did Vics lose money due to poor sales? Or did they lose money because Polaris pushed so much into [email protected] for dumb crap they kept on the market for a 2 years before dumping and lost their asses because of the costs to design and build models that never made it? All that money into [email protected] and manufacturing start up costs only to dump those bikes after a short time is stupid. No ROI at all, just a black hole of stupidity draining the bank.

Now BMW is going bagger. They have semi dirt bikes, sports bikes, and sport touring lines. HD has them all except sports bikes for the moment. But the newer engine and frame designs will help them a lot I think.

Now most Jap bikes are hitting the higher end of the market price for what they are. But they have a selection of reasonable to HD high on pricing so something for everyone.

Polaris has Indian. A coupe baggers, a couple touring setups and a Scout. The SAME lineup where HD is having trouble in sales. So they dumped a solid line to sell a smaller portion of the market where even staid bike makers are having issues. Stupid.

And if anyone thinks that Polaris will be dumping the same commitment into Indians that HD and BMW and other Triumph etc. are doing they are sadly mistaken.

Looking at the 'New" 2018 models is laughable. Colors colors colors....no great change in tech at all. And if they decide to go with a water cooled Clacker in the future, do you think the Injuns with the 114 will fare nay better than the V92? After the Freedom motor arrived you couldn't get new parts for those either. Or accessories. And at that time the bike division was a viable entity.

And IF they decide to vamp up to newer looking or sportier type bikes...do you think the Injun crowds who bought that retro fad bike will change their styles and continue buying bikes? Its a short lived market in my opinion.

Polaris in my mind will never have the commitment to the customer or the market and will have no issue dumping another line and fall back on their other off road markets. Its a matter of time is all. People right now cannot even get parts right away for warranty issues. And its only been 9 months. 10 years? Yeah...right. They are ONLY supporting the warranty issues for the most part, and yes you CAN get parts. It just takes 2 months. Even under warranty.

In 2 years my KP will be worth more in used parts than it will be as a whole bike.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Good points Kurbs. I think you're right about warranty parts, Polaris isn't going to stock much, they will have them made to order as needed which means the customer will wait most the time. They might get lucky if someone needs X part and Polaris decides to order two of them instead of one and another customer just happens to get that second one.

I've always been a fan of the Dyna Wide Glide. I was looking at a friend's today and couldn't help notice how small it looked compared to my KP. On my KP a person of many sizes and heights could fit comfortably but on the Wide Glide and a lot of other HD models; it's limited to a much narrower size fit. Probably something like 5'8" to a max of 6'. Now that fits most men but there are a lot who don't fit that range so either drastic changes need to be made or they look elsewhere.

I think anyone 5'6" to 6'4" would fit on the KP without much, if any, modification. On the short end of the spectrum they might want to wear boots with some lift to reach the ground and/or lower the bike an inch or so but that would be it.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Triumph may very well be the next 'Victory' so to speak. They have great technology and performance for a working mans' price.

I tested a Thunderbird at Randys last Fall and the acceleration, braking, shifting, and handling were incredible. If they made that model in Mens' sizes I would have one. Woodstock Harley just opened a Triumph dealer last year or so. Right down from the HD store. And they are doing great. I see more Triumphs than I do Vics around here.
I was just reading about those, $$ to performance is pretty good didn't realize they were small.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I was just reading about those, $$ to performance is pretty good didn't realize they were small.
It would make a great city to semi urban bike for larger riders. Be a good semi touring cruiser for small to medium guys. Maybe they make forward control kits, not sure. But the seat is ultra comfy, trans smooth as silk, and that engine is amazing. Not to mention they come with ABS that's almost as good as the BMW's I have owned. and it whips through corners like a crotch rocket.

Plus with Triumph its extremely easy to ECU tune yourself on the cheap. I was thinking maybe different bars and forward controls, because that thing left a serious impression on me. On the test ride a truck pulled out in front of me and the brakes stopped seamlessly from 70 MPH and allowed me to flick that bike over in a split second.

hers an example here.

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Moto-Richmond-3010798/listing/2017-Triumph-Thunderbird-Storm-ABS-Jet-Black-5000115052

Doesn't 'feel' as torquey as my stock Pin did at high RPM's...but it hit speeds fast enough.

And you can get bags, boards, screens, etc. almost anywhere. I still keep an eye out but the used ones don't show up like they used to. May just run there this weekend to see about forward controls and different bars.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
There was like 50 motorcycle cops in the perspiration.
Sucks riding in traffic when its that hot out .... I didn't realize it was still that warm in your neck of the woods VJ .

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good points Kurbs. I think you're right about warranty parts, Polaris isn't going to stock much, they will have them made to order as needed which means the customer will wait most the time. They might get lucky if someone needs X part and Polaris decides to order two of them instead of one and another customer just happens to get that second one.

I've always been a fan of the Dyna Wide Glide. I was looking at a friend's today and couldn't help notice how small it looked compared to my KP. On my KP a person of many sizes and heights could fit comfortably but on the Wide Glide and a lot of other HD models; it's limited to a much narrower size fit. Probably something like 5'8" to a max of 6'. Now that fits most men but there are a lot who don't fit that range so either drastic changes need to be made or they look elsewhere.

I think anyone 5'6" to 6'4" would fit on the KP without much, if any, modification. On the short end of the spectrum they might want to wear boots with some lift to reach the ground and/or lower the bike an inch or so but that would be it.
Yeah, I'm 6' 3" so always had forward controls and bar changes with every HD I've had. Plus the KP handles and rides so much better for me. It's a bike that I really love, but things are what they are. Doubt I'll trade it in, but be nice to have a bike where cross country runs won't be an issue with parts and service too.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
If you like the bike that much and have at least a couple decades of riding ahead of you; you might consider buying a good used low-mile engine to swap out or use as a parts bank while you look for parts to replace. Might even consider finding a wrecked one as a parts bike. Probably find one for as little as $2k. The thought has crossed my mind. I'll probably sell the XC before the KP since we tend to go for lighter bikes as we age. Hopefully that won't be for a long time though. By then the XC will either be a collector item or practically worthless. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you like the bike that much and have at least a couple decades of riding ahead of you; you might consider buying a good used low-mile engine to swap out or use as a parts bank while you look for parts to replace. Might even consider finding a wrecked one as a parts bike. Probably find one for as little as $2k. The thought has crossed my mind. I'll probably sell the XC before the KP since we tend to go for lighter bikes as we age. Hopefully that won't be for a long time though. By then the XC will either be a collector item or practically worthless. Only time will tell.
Mine only has 10K on it. Work from home so only get out on weekends and vacations. Don't want a wrecked parts bike taking up space, already have 5 cars and a bike now. Can fit 1 other bike in once I sell one of the cars. May as well make it another flavor!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts