Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled these baffles out of my x-bow exhaust on my '12 Pin. I'm looking for it to sound deeper and louder without loosing my back pressure. I've searched and read a lot of threads on here about removing or modifying baffles. Seems like most are cutting 6" off. I want to clarify. Am I cutting 6" up from the pecker shaped tip or am I cutting 6" of the middle out and welding the tip back on?

baffles.jpg

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not very patient. :D I cut about 5 inches of the end off and reinstalled. Eh...not too impressed really. Sounds a bit better when you hammer on it a bit or just rev it from an idle. Can't tell much really just idling. Would cutting more off make it a bit louder. I'm looking for a noticable sound quality at idle as well. Or do I need to buy the Thunder stuff? Trying not to spend $

bafflescut.jpg

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You could try drilling 3/8 or 1/2 holes between the louvers a few at a time until you get the sound you want.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I already hacked on her some more. I hacked the rest of the smaller diameter section off, all the way to where it was welded to the larger part. Almost there but still not quite what I'm looking for. Sounds mean when giving throttle, a little deeper and louder at idle (the olde lady came out to the garage while it was idling to tell me she can hear my bike over her tv) :D But still not quite loud enough. I ran it for a couple seconds with the baffles out and that is real close to what I'm looking for. Maybe not quit THAT loud but close. If I can obtain that sound while still maintaining enough back pressure and not drop HP or torque I'd be happy. Am I asking to much? cheers

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want that deep tone at idle and on accelerating...buy a Harley! thumb up
I want the deep tone but I also want it for more than 30k miles. That rules out Harley. ;)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you want a deep rumble get thunder monster baffles
Yeah, I've been looking at those. Just trying to save the $80 +SH. But it looks like that's the route I'll have to go.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an e-mail in to Thunder City in regards the monster thunder baffles. In the mean time, I figured I'd keep messing with my baffles just for grins since I plan on replacing them anyway.

I pulled em back out and unwrapped the fiberglass. So I've cut all the narrow section off, unwrapped them and they get louder and louder with each step. They're actually almost where I want them now. Don't sound half bad at an idle and a pretty good muscle sound when reving. But now it whistles at me. :ltr: Seriously, when reving it to about 3k, I hear a whistle. I noticed the ends are just spot welded, I'd bet that's where it's coming from. I may pull them back out and run a bead all the way around the ends to seal it up later on.

baffles unrapped.jpg

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a sound clip...you can here the whistle in this vid.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rebel
Not sure if you have seen this post about the Thunder baffles? Havent had good enough weather yet to get it out of the garage. But it sounds pretty good. Look ez enough to make.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=14820&highlight=thunder

m
Thanks, I have read that thread and looked at the witchdoctor baffles mentioned in that thread too. The baffles you have are the QQ Thunder Monster baffles right? I believe those are the ones with the cone. Supposed to give a good sound but tones the loudness down a notch compared to the original. I want loud, the originals are what I'm after...I'd like to see the inside of those but I've not been able to find a pic of them from that angle. Also, not so sure Monster make them for my size along with being for a curved exhaust. My exhaust ID is 2-5/8, OD 2-3/4...that's pretty big. I hope they do

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a welder but I'm not sure I'd trust my work being I don't know much about affects on performance. I know completely removing baffles gives great sound but also a loss of HP and torque. I'm sure there is a fine line there somewhere but I don't know where it is. I don't know if what I've already done cost me power or not. I'm sure I could build a set of baffles but what would it do to my performance. These monster thunder baffles from what I gather have been tested on a dyno to ensure no loss of power and a gain for those without baffles. I want the best sound I can get without loosing a single horse power or any torque...

How much back pressure is needed to maintain full power?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks, I have read that thread and looked at the witchdoctor baffles mentioned in that thread too. The baffles you have are the QQ Thunder Monster baffles right? I believe those are the ones with the cone. Supposed to give a good sound but tones the loudness down a notch compared to the original. I want loud, the originals are what I'm after...I'd like to see the inside of those but I've not been able to find a pic of them from that angle. Also, not so sure Monster make them for my size along with being for a curved exhaust. My exhaust ID is 2-5/8, OD 2-3/4...that's pretty big. I hope they do
Yes those are the QQ's. There is a pic in that thread looking straight up the business end.

I guess my hearing is gone in the upper end- I don't hear any whistle...

m

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh no!!

Just got off the phone with the folks at big city thunder, they do not make any baffles for my 2-5/8" ID X-Bow exhaust. Looks like I'm either going to have to find a way to make mine do what I want them to, ATTEMPT to make my own, or find somebody that can make some simialr to the original series that big city thunder makes. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts