Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
59 years of riding over 300,000 miles and nary an incident of any kind. I thought I was going to finish my riding career making a liar of those who say there's two kinds of bikers - you know the rest. Spring of 2010 I buy the most expensive bike I have ever owned and that October I get whacked by a cellphone challenged 18 year old popping from a side street without looking and puts me down hard on the right side. Then a riding buddy -whoops sorry, make that brother- hits me from the rear thinking I took off from the stop sign when I hadn't. His left fork leg hit my right exhaust tip, slamming me down on the left. In both cases, there was light damage to the bike, thanks to the crash bars. Today, a gal to my left decides to change lanes to the right as I'm beside her. Fortunately, she just brushed the crash bar (now I know how it gets its name) which caused me to wobble a bit, but happily I didn't go down this time.

Now I need your help. I really like my XR, but obviously there is a HIT ME sign on it that others see, but I have yet to find it. Tell me, where the hell is it? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Glad you are OK!
But this is actually the reason I have the reputation for being a noisey rude honker! Some teach you to flash your lights. But I argue if they aren't looking up, flashing the lights is pointless.

I constantly honk my horn in traffic, when I see people not paying enough attention. I even do this in my truck. Wife thinks I'm being rude sometimes. But, I would rather you think of me as rude, than think of me as road kill.

You could always add an Ice Cream Truck Speaker to your bike, and play that tune and see if that helps! :D

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I hope that was the last incident for you. Get an air horn - it's great for waking up drivers who start sliding into your lane. Get rid of your riding buddies, and stay away from college communities. :ltr:

You've most likely just ran through a little cloud of bad luck. You've had exceptional luck 'till this cloud showed up. Others crash a lot more often, or have a good enough crash they never ride again. Keep your chin up, and ride safe. thumb up

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Henry, I have added that Stebel air horn to both our four wheelers, but have yet to find a loud disc type horn (or horns) that will fit where the stock one is. Since she was beside me and traffic flow was thankfully quite slow, I didn't have time to honk and loud pipes would not have been loud at that speed. All those lights in my signature were of no help either. Sometimes we are at the wrong place at the wrong time, but why on the best, the costliest and the most good looking bike I have ever owned? Tain't fair.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Henry, I have added that Stebel air horn to both our four wheelers, but have yet to find a loud disc type horn (or horns) that will fit where the stock one is. Since she was beside me and traffic flow was thankfully quite slow, I didn't have time to honk and loud pipes would not have been loud at that speed. All those lights in my signature were of no help either. Sometimes we are at the wrong place at the wrong time, but why on the best, the costliest and the most good looking bike I have ever owned? Tain't fair.
Here's a good stealth location for the Stebel: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4443. I've left the stock one on my bike but it's disconnected. If someone thinks my horn's way too loud and inspects my bike up close, all they see is the stock lil' biscuit. :D

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Glad you're ok Ric.

LOUD exhaust...has helped me on more than one occasion where the horn did nothing. It may be obnoxious to some BUT they HEAR that obnoxious noise!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Are you sure you aren't in Utah? I can count the number of days that I haven't almost been hit while riding my XR on 1 hand. I give my horn and/or my throttle a workout on a way too regular basis. Between people coming into my lane or slamming on their brakes without a signal to make a turn I have to avoid a lot of impacts.

Around here speed limits are suggestions and stop lights are optional. It's not unusual at all to sit through a green light while waiting for a line of morons to finish running their red light. If you are coming up on a yellow light don't even think about touching your brakes (on a bike or in a cage) until you look behind you. There's a 90% chance that the @$$clown behind you doesn't know you are in front of them because they are so focused on seeing if they can make the light that they look right over you.

Be careful out there; the other drivers aren't so somebody has to!

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ammo, you talking about SLC? Gotta tell ya, I'm not impressed with the drivers there. We have that red light running scenario here too. Many times I fantacized mountiing RPG launchers on the front of my vehicles.

Add to my previous post that I wear bright colored gear, including white (worn today) or bright silver helmets. No matter what you do, an inattentive cager will ignore it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
RICZ,

Glad you are OK. I have a compact Stebel waiting to go into CrossRoad's stealth location as soon as I can figure out what to do for a bracket. I seem to be giving my "meep, meep" Roadrunner horn too much of a workout these days too. Gotta get that thing installed soon!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad u are OK. But I see the problem. U are riding in Portland :ltr:
Come on over and ride this side of the river. Just Jokin with ya..cheers

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fungi, its not only risky riding/driving in Portland, but the politics here stink too. Not to mention the successful work of the Anti Destination League that makes it difficult to impossible to get from here to there.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Not just SLC, every medium to large city in Utah and the small towns during tourist season. People are more concerned with their destination than what's in between where they're going and where they're at.

I lived in Turkey for almost 6 years and the traffic there wasn't as bad as it is here. In Turkey you had the deal with mopeds, donkey carts and sheepherders cross the roads with their flocks. Here it just the asses...

Anyway, I appologize for neglecting to mention that it's good to hear you made it out ok. Bikes can be repaired/replaced, people can be repaired but rarely to 100%.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two words: Headlight modulator:

It's a far better thing to avoid a bad situation, than have to deal with one.
Read my signature.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Personally, I would ride in a clown suit before I ride with a headlight modulator. :D

clown-on-chopper.jpg

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Headlight modulator only gets the attention of drivers coming toward you and drivers that are attempting to merge into traffic from a cross street. They are useless to drivers that are next to that decide to enter your lane. They aren't
visible to drivers that are behind you. And most importantly they are ignored by drivers that are occupied with texting.

You horn, riding abilities and throttle are the only things that will help. Maybe we should all get a really big loud speaker, some blaring children tunes and some signs to put on our bikes. Everbody notices the ice cream man!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Glad you are OK!
But this is actually the reason I have the reputation for being a noisey rude honker! Some teach you to flash your lights. But I argue if they aren't looking up, flashing the lights is pointless.

I constantly honk my horn in traffic, when I see people not paying enough attention. I even do this in my truck. Wife thinks I'm being rude sometimes. But, I would rather you think of me as rude, than think of me as road kill.

You could always add an Ice Cream Truck Speaker to your bike, and play that tune and see if that helps! :D
I am RIGHT there with you buddy. I can not tell you how many times I have "woken" a texting and/or cellphone user WHILE driving down the highway or at a light or...

The hardest part is honking a horn at someone BEHIND you (You know the guy you see in your rear view who is closing fast and not even looking forward but rather at hie/her passenger, etc). I have LAID on the horn and the guy in front of me has gotten out of his car wondering why I was honking AT HIM. Of course, all I had to do was point to the gal behind me who "held up her hands apologetically" at which point the guy in front nodded understanding and got back in his car. 99% of people NEVER think that anyone would EVER honk "behind them" yet I have found it necessary to use it numerous times. Never yet on a bike but I am not the career rider that others on here are.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
RICZ, Happy to read everything worked out o.k.

I had two four wheelers (minivan and coupe) in two separate instances move into my lane from right to left on Sunday. Both instances, I got on the throttle and got ahead of the vehicles. I always try to apply my MSF training from years ago when I ride. As others have said, there are just to many distractions available to drivers in four wheelers.

It's a battle out there every time we head out on two wheels and we must win the battle every time. thumb up

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHY I HAVE WHAT I HAVE ON MY BIKE....
Headlight Modulator: As mentioned in a previous post, it (hopefully) gets the attention of those coming at me and/or egressing from driveways and side streets. I call it my light horn.
High Power LED Road Lights: Same as above plus road illumination.
Hyper-Lites: 2 Additional bright composite LED lights on either side of the tail light to facilitate triangulation and depth perception for those behind me. Super bright blinking when I apply the brakes to warn those behind that I am slowing.
Bright Helmet and Clothing: If I have to explain.....
I agree I need to hurry up and install a loud horn, but there was no time to blow the one I now have in this last incident. She contacted my crash bar at or near her B pillar and the best thing I could do was hit the brakes so she could proceed ahead of me. That saved my bacon. Thanks to those who expressed gratitude for me not getting hurt. I really appreciate the sentiment. Having just finished several month of chemo, I don't need any more discomfort right now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts