Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a stupid question but should I be running 5th or 6th at 60mph. Seems like 6th is lugging pretty good at those speeds, maybe it doesn't matter on these bikes though?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
not sure what bike you have but my XCT 106 with a 6 speed loves to run 3000 rpm. I run 65mph in 5th. I get the best mpgs there. I dont go into 6th until over 70.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm usually in sixth at that speed, but that's running solo and on mostly flat roads. If your riding two up, driving into heavy wind, or going up hills, you should be in fifth.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just like anything, listen to the engine, it'll tell you what it wants and when, and it will want different gears for different situations.. For example, on the long flat straights, or downhill runs, it'll chug happily down a road in 6th at around 2500rpms at 65mph, but my Cross Country really prefers to rev higher going up a hill and power seems more controllable in the twisties between 2800 and 3000rpm so that would be running those kind of speeds a gear lower..

In most situations a bike seems to prefer to run happiest at slightly higher rpms.. A Victory doesn't seem special in that department.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
At 60 mph unless you're going DOWN hill...5th gear.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
Never run it under 2,000 RPM and do keep the revs up, especially in the twisties. I have her at 3,500 to 4,500 revs in the twisties and she loves it. Conversely, she hates it under 2K revs. 6th gear? Over 2,200+ Bacon.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I usually run 6 at 100ks (60mph) but since fitting pipe and fuel control timing wheel I can go down to 80 k (50 mph) on the flat with no ill effects

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i run 6th as soon as i can, generally in 6th by around 55, if your doing hills and stuff then it might be different, but for me not a lot of hills

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
I am still in 5th at 60mph/100kph.
At that speed, 6th seems kind of sluggish.
Yeah I agree 5th feels much better than 6th at that speed.
Really need to be up over 70 mph (110kkph) for 6th I feel.

Now if I'm gunning it onto an onramp and not watching my speed or tacho I seem to end up hitting sixth just naturally around 110kph.
Its really happiest in sixth at 140 kph but we can't legally do that here.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Stay out of 6th until at least 65 mph. Your engine will thank you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Vic's run best/smoothest at 2200-2800 RPM (cruising speeds). cheers

^^ yeah that's basically my vote too. Don't focus on the gear- focus on the RPM's. Vic's are pretty much lugging under 2k. I'm not spending long periods at 2800 myself, but this motor can take it.

memory (subject to failure): 70-75 mph is about 26-2700 rpms in 6th.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It all depends... Bike setup, PC5, Advanced timing wheel, flat roads, hills, 2 up, riding aggressive, cruising slow and easily... depends on what you are after. As long as you don't lug, you won't hurt anything.

My bike setup and choice is when in mountains, usually in 5th, sometimes 4th! Here in FL I'll almost always in 6th, and I get around 48 mpg average. I can always shift down for power.

·
12,970 Posts
6th gear is your over drive gear and should not be used below 60 mph. Vic's like the rpm up and when you use 6th below 60 mph your hurting the motor

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
without cams my tq was peaked at 110 at 2500rpms, which is 65 mph, i wasnt much behind that in tq at 55-60, i will run 6th there

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mostly 4th for me .....

However not uncommon to be in 3rd , or 5th also ...depending on who / what / where I'm riding .......

Peter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've only got 30 miles on the bike so far and I think I was turning 2100 in 6th at 60mph and seemed low. I think it was 2300 in 5th and sounded better and not so much like it was lugging but I'll have to verify again my next ride.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts