Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some here are familiar with Blackstone labs. They do consumer oil analysis, you'll find their reports scattered through this section of the forum.
You send them your oil sample and they tell you how much engine material they found in it, foreign materials, like dirt, if you need to change it more often etc.
They see a lot of oil samples. It's their business. Not surprisingly they get asked a lot which oil is best. They have a news letter. This month they wrote a good article addressing that question. .
This is a quote from the conclusion of the article.

Well, we’re no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another,
that’s for sure. We see much more variation in wear levels from the type
of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc.
Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don’t see a lot
of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines.

It's here:
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php
It's worth the read.

While your at it there are more very good articles from blackstone located here:https://www.blackstone-labs.com/newsletters.php

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
I confess to not reading the articles yet but it sounds like the moral of the story is not oil type but that we change our oil at the right intervals. Yes?

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
To misquote Castrol
"oils is oils"
Correct grade changed when advised or sooner.

We all have our preferences for different reasons.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
That was actually a really well written newsletter. I gave it a peek just to see what's up and ended up reading the entire thing and spending extra time on the charts. For some funny reason I enjoy info like this...and it lead me to a comfortable state about my oil choices for the past century.
I have been running Mobile Delvac or Shell Rotella T6 in all of my bikes and changing them at the correct intervals and had Zero issues, so I will continue to do so with Miss Pearl at her first real oil change (just under 1000 miles until 5k) and throw some good old T6 in there and call it good. Now to find a chart which talks about the best oil filters. HA!

Skin

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Simple: Name brand, wet clutch compatible.....BAM good to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know there are many conversations on the forum about oil. So, is there a product clearly superior to Victory 20w-40? Now that I understand my transmission is a time bomb, I want to do all I can. Or, Is there an equivalent product which is more widely available, and dare I say it, less expensive?

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Some here are familiar with Blackstone labs. They do consumer oil analysis, you'll find their reports scattered through this section of the forum.
You send them your oil sample and they tell you how much engine material they found in it, foreign materials, like dirt, if you need to change it more often etc.
They see a lot of oil samples. It's their business. Not surprisingly they get asked a lot which oil is best. They have a news letter. This month they wrote a good article addressing that question. .
This is a quote from the conclusion of the article.

Well, we’re no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another,
that’s for sure. We see much more variation in wear levels from the type
of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc.
Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don’t see a lot
of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines.

It's here:
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php
It's worth the read.

While your at it there are more very good articles from blackstone located here:https://www.blackstone-labs.com/newsletters.php
I know there are many conversations on the forum about oil. So, is there a product clearly superior to Victory 20w-40? Now that I understand my transmission is a time bomb, I want to do all I can. Or, Is there an equivalent product which is more widely available, and dare I say it, less expensive?

I'll add one more thing, change it at the recommended intervals.

Rotella. Search and read for 27 days 16 hours 27 minutes.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
This is exactly right. Oil is oil, it's the base and additive package that differentiate oils. You can debate the subject all day and boils down to those two things; name brand in a viscosity that's good for your temperature range and it's wet clutch compatible. I've seen Vin's tests he posted here, I sent my oil (Rotella T6, at a hair over 5000 miles, yeah, my bad :) ) off and it tests great. I'm using a WIX filter because it's a quality filter that I can buy almost anywhere. It shifts good, the lifters are quiet I can change the oil for less than 30 bucks and I know it's doing it's job. I figure I'm good for 200,000 miles. Except for a timing wheel, a Lloyds filter, a thrush muffler mod and a Wisco tuner I'm bone stock and I'll keep it that way.

·
12,984 Posts
what kills me about oil is the guys that say there have a hard time shifting. Cause its time for a oil change. Oil has nothing to do with the shifting its you being lazy or your clutch is out of adjustment.
Read Jamming post he was over 5000 miles and his oil was still good

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
what kills me about oil is the guys that say there have a hard time shifting. Cause its time for a oil change. Oil has nothing to do with the shifting its you being lazy or your clutch is out of adjustment.
Gotta disagree with you on this one VJ which isn't often.

On both my Vic's the shifting does get worse as I get close to oil change time. It's actually not a bad thing; it's letting me know it's time to change the oil.

Then after the change the shifting is noticeably smoother. It's not just in people heads or anything.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Read Jamming post he was over 5000 miles and his oil was still good
VJ; I've been looking for the test, can't find it, I probably round filed it :rolleyes: but the one thing that stuck out to me is that I could have went another 3000-5000 miles, I won't though ;) . BTW, there's a bunch of the Goldwing guys running Rotella in their Wings and some of those folks are going 8-10,000 between changes. There's a lot of differences between an air-cooled V-Twin and a water-cooled flat 6 no doubt, but still that's some high mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I ORDERED a case of 20-40 Amsoil and a filter. $190 after tax and shipping. I have never ran any thing but Vic oil in my 2011 XC. So I'll see if I can tell or see any difference with Amsoil over Victory oil. Even though after reading the test results at the beginning of this thread. There is not much difference from one major oil over another.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
I ORDERED a case of 20-40 Amsoil and a filter. $190 after tax and shipping. I have never ran any thing but Vic oil in my 2011 XC. So I'll see if I can tell or see any difference with Amsoil over Victory oil. Even though after reading the test results at the beginning of this thread. There is not much difference from one major oil over another.
That's why in use Rotella most all oil is still going strong at 5000 miles might as well drain cheap oil instead of $$$ oil.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Whats a "Case" of oil?...

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
When you buy a box of 12 quarts at one time instead of buying 5 individual quarts.
Similar to me buying 10 litres at once then , except mine is in one big container, I decant it out into a four litre bottle which is exactly what my Vegas holds with a new filter.
So I'm getting 2 1/2 oil changes for my $77, filters, good quality Ryco M/C filter $14 trade price.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Good read, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Heres a surprise. I have a 2001 Buell that I beat sometimes on the highway, well frequently. I noticed I was almost a Quart low on the road and so the gas station only had 20/50 AMSOIL for about $14.00 a quart. Stuffed it in the Buell and after a week or so I noticed major lifter noise. I noticed it at 60mph and at idle. I did some checking and found a little confirmation that this has happened to others. So I drained and refilled with Mobil 1 V twin 20/50 Bike is quiet again like nothing happened. I prefer this full synthetic to anything else. Have also tested 10w 30 car full syn mobil 1 at 10k miles and it was still protecting the motor with make up of about 3 quarts. 185k mile motor

So to me you can over charge and make the thickest 20/50 on the market and still make **** oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts