Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross Country, Cross Country Tour, Ness Cross Country or Vision. I've decided on a Victory for my first bike. Another question is what color to get? I want a comfortable bike with storage. Most of my riding will be local day trips at first.

So many decisions! This is the year I finally will get one, just need some guidance.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
You don't tell us much about what you intend to do with your bike.

There is one non-subjecteve fact: if you need the absolute maximum storage, then the Cross Country Tour is your bike. You can buy a regular Cross Country or a a Cross Roads and upgrade it to the same storage (with trunk, hard side bags and lowers that have two one-gallon storage boxes), but for the money, you may as well just buy the tour.

If your main priority is not the absolute maximum storage, then this is a much more subjective matter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome DM. The Xbike is a good choice. The difference between the XC & XCT is the front lower cowl which primarily is for wind management, though it does have some small storage pods in the front for some small doo-dads that is not on the XC.

As for the choice between the XC & Vision, I think it's mainly the looks and style that you're looking for.

Me personally, I test rode both and liked them both, though I like the more classic looks of the XC. That's why I chose the XC.

The color of your bike is important (at least to me, it is). I recently picked up a 2010 model because it was painted Midnight Cherry.

Cross Country, Cross Country Tour, Ness Cross Country or Vision,,, whichever you choose you won't be sorry.... It will be a head-turner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't tell us much about what you intend to do with your bike.

There is one non-subjecteve fact: if you need the absolute maximum storage, then the Cross Country Tour is your bike. You can buy a regular Cross Country or a a Cross Roads and upgrade it to the same storage (with trunk, hard side bags and lowers that have two one-gallon storage boxes), but for the money, you may as well just buy the tour.

If your main priority is not the absolute maximum storage, then this is a much more subjective matter.

As of now I do not believe I need max storage. However that is my dilemma, I may want it in the future if I really enjoy riding as much as I think I will. I do like the look of the bikes without the huge trunk in the back. Plus, not sure I want the extra weight high in the back because I do not have much experience with a large bike. Two days of riding a rented Road King is my experience.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As of now I do not believe I need max storage. However that is my dilemma, I may want it in the future if I really enjoy riding as much as I think I will. I do like the look of the bikes without the huge trunk in the back. Plus, not sure I want the extra weight high in the back because I do not have much experience with a large bike. Two days of riding a rented Road King is my experience.
I believe the CCT trunk is a quick disconnect so you don't need to have it on until you need it.

--- dilemma solved ---

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome DM. The Xbike is a good choice. The difference between the XC & XCT is the front lower cowl which primarily is for wind management, though it does have some small storage pods in the front for some small doo-dads that is not on the XC.

As for the choice between the XC & Vision, I think it's mainly the looks and style that you're looking for.

Me personally, I test rode both and liked them both, though I like the more classic looks of the XC. That's why I chose the XC.

The color of your bike is important (at least to me, it is). I recently picked up a 2010 model because it was painted Midnight Cherry.

Cross Country, Cross Country Tour, Ness Cross Country or Vision,,, whichever you choose you won't be sorry.... It will be a head-turner.

Do the Cross bikes offer reverse as an option? I know the Vision does.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have you test riden the Vic's? If not, ride both the XC and the Vision. You'll know than which one is for you.

Though heavier than the Road King, in my opinion both Vic's are much more nimble. You will find reverse is not needed.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
DM, Take it from an old hand at the sport; crawl before you walk, walk before you run. If you have no immediate plans to do long distance touring for days or weeks on end, you really don't need the extra weight and expense of a XC or XCT. I've done over 200K miles of touring, but due to cancer and age those days are over, but I still do regional riding that can take up to several days. My XR is very adequate, IMO, and with the removable backrest and rack combo, I can mount a sizable tour bag take the wife along. That arrangement, plus a magnetic tank bag, gives me more capacity than I had with my '92 Yammie Venture - and that held a lot. I've had full boat tourers for decades, but I get the same rain and wind protection from my plexi-fairing. The lower wind deflectors keep my legs warm and dry too. A bonus is the windscreen is removable - nice on hot days. Later, when you do want to go touring, you can add the top case, if you really think you need one. I don't.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
RICZ is dead on as usual! The XR is a very good option because it costs much less to start with and can be upgraded. If in the future you decide you want more storage buy a trunk and if you want more wind protection buy a fairing. The options may cause you to send more money than you would have had you bought a XC but they are options. What I'm getting at is why pay more money out the door for a bike that has options you may never use when you can do almost as well buying as your need increases. Also note that buying a rack an a large bag for an XR will match or exceed te storage capacity of an XC or XCT.

About the only other thing I can tell you is that all the X bikes ride better than a Road King and they are all heavier. Go out and demo all the X bikes and the Vision and you'll notice much smaller differences between them and the Road King. HD vs Victory - you'll quickly notice which rides better, stronger, smoother and more like a modern bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for your input. Ricz, your advice sounds wise. I have test rode a CR and CC. Did that last summer and did not find the CC to be more heavy or harder to handle during the short test run. One reason why I am considering a CC is people saying they like having a fairing with a radio after a few hours on the road.

Again, thank you all for your advise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts