Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to keep an emergency tire repair kit in my saddlebag. I already have the compact Slime inflator.

Which sealant do y'all recommend? I see on Fix-A-Flat's website that they don't recommend their product for use on motorcycle tires. Slime's website doesn't say, specially.

Thoughts please? Thank you. thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
try ride on tire sealant and balancer, you run it in your tire all the time , balances the tire as you ride, and suppose to seal punctures.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
YouTube has a few good videos, Ride On is what I use, Put it in when the tire is new and it'll always be balanced until bald, it only seals punchers in the middle of the tire they say..:)

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I hate to be a party pooper here, but my tire guy, who has decades and thousands of tires worth of experience, gave up on Ride-On. He sez he has a few customers who complain that the balance isn't good and some who said they had punctures that the Ride-On did not seal. He recommended Ride-On to me a while back and I can attest that I was having imbalance problems. He now recommends Dyna Beads and so do I, as I now have perfect balance at any speed.
For repairs, I carry the Dyna Plug device--its extremely compact and very easy to use. Cycle Gear now carries their smallest unit. Click the link and choose one.
http://www.dynaplug.com/

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i was going to suggest a plug kit, but figured that would be like another oil thread , or darkside thread ! haha

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
i was going to suggest a plug kit, but figured that would be like another oil thread , or darkside thread ! haha
Wait for it ...........wac

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Years ago when I had the FJR I did many of the 24Hr Rallies. I highly recommend the "Void" and the "Cape Fear 1000" if you haven't done one. You don't want to be stuck somewhere at 0300 in the middle of no where with a flat. I have been using "Ride-On" for 11 years and I mount and balance my own tires,hear is what I have learned.

First you still balance the tire with weight. I have found that many rims the valve stem is not the heaviest point. To minimize the amount of weight I find the heavy spot first and then mount the light spot on the tire there. I usually balance the rim to see how much weight it requires. What the Ride-On does is help maintain the balance as the tire wears. Ride-On is not a permanent solution but enables you to get somewhere and fix it later.

I carry on the bike the good old fashioned tacky plugs, plug tools, and one of those small noisy compressors. If you use one of these make sure the circuit on the bike (battery tender or Cig lighter) where you plug it in has the correct fuse. Most will blow when you use one of the pumps. I use the battery tender with a higher fuse.

If you get a nail or object in the tire the Ride-On keeps you from having a sudden loss or twice for me you don't know there is a problem till you see the object or the next time you check your pressure you have lost a couple of PSI not due to temp change (1 psi to 10 degrees F). I do check my tread more often that if I didn't use Ride-On.

If I have a puncture then I remove it and plug it if it is in the tread portion of the tire. Then inflate and continue. Based on tire live remaining etc. I might replace it, internal patch it, or finish it off till I need a new one.

This is a personal choice for everyone so roll the dice as you see fit.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I bought the small Slime inflator along with the rope kit that includes a reamer, insertion tool and pre-glued ropes.

Twice on a ride with some friends I noticed someones tire was a little low and offered to let them use my tire pump. Both times it took an EXTREAMLY long time to fill the tire. I then purchased the pump labled 6 min. I used it to top off my tire. MUCH better. I'd recommend you try using your tire pump to see if the performance is something you could live with, on a deserted country rode, in the middle of nowhere, miles from anyone else, at night, in the dark... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ride-On

I also use Ride-On sealant in all my new touring tires. Can't say if it works but I can say that I feel no adverse effects with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts