Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my first time posting on here but have been lurking for a while.
I'm 46 and have been riding since I was 7.
Started off with a Honda 50ZR then a Honda XR80 and a Honda 110 street bike.
Then I got a Suzuki RM 125 and used to have to push it to a curb to start it because I was way too short to touch the ground. Both feet did sit flat on the foot pegs once I got it going though.

In my 20's I had a Suzuki DR 650 and then I finally graduated to an old Harley shovel head that I developed a love hate relationship with.
I loved sitting on it-- hated that it was always broke down.
I'm not trying to bash Harley and I know that's not everyone's experience -- but it was mine.

My situation is this -- I have about $8k to spend on a bike.
I actually like some of the older Victory's, but am concerned about reliability. Mostly all the transmission troubles I've read about.
I'd like to hear from some of those owners of an older Victory.
Would you get a newer bike with the 100 or 106 and newer tranny-- or buy an older v92 and pocket the change?

I'm mostly concerned about reliability since this will be my main ride in the summer months.
Thanks in advance!

Mick

·
Registered
682 Posts
Victory fixed the trans troubles in like 2001 or so. After that, no trans trouble. The 92" motor is stout and lasts long. What kind of riding are you planning on doing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply Ghost_Rider, especially on a Friday evening.

Mostly cruising on Texas back roads but want to take some long distance trips with it.

I mostly just do the speed limit -- or ride with traffic -- and don't really get on it very hard these days.

Hearing about the shortage of Victory dealers and the tranny problems with the older bikes is what makes me leery.

So the tranny problem was eliminated after 2001?
I was under the impression that most of the older Victory's could have a potential tranny failure?

With some of these newer bikes going 100k + what is considered "low mileage" on these newer bikes?
I see LOTS bikes for sell that have 15-25k ... Dirt cheap.
Is that now considered "low mileage?"

Thanks again to all that take time to respond!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yeah I think 2002 and after are good. My 2003 has 32k and no trans problems. I have also seen a lot of bikes with 20k+ for sale pretty cheap. I've also seen quite a few bikes with the 100 in it that fit your budget.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on!
That just gave me a whole lot more bikes to choose from.
Thanks Ghost Rider!

I actually like the looks of the V92 a lot more than some of the newer Victories, (but I'd still own a newer Vic) and there are quite a few really nice ones on the market right now.

All my buddies that ride have Harley's, and try to steer me in that direction-- and are always telling me about all of the horror stories of the older Victorys.
But I've spent too much money with Harley (to be without a running bike) so I'm not very enthusiastic about giving any more cash to them.
I'm also not wanting to rush into another "bike from hell" though.
I'm getting old -- I just wanna put gas & oil in her & ride.

Besides checking that the frame/forks are straight -- scratch marks from being dropped/wrecked -- fluids -- tires -- general inspection etc. -- are there any "Victory specific" problems that I need to look for in a post '01 V92?

Again, Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I don't know how the market is in Texas, but my wife's bike is a '08 and we got it for $8500...it had 2,000 miles on the odo. Around the same time We saw a '09 Kingpin with 6k going for about $9000, but it was rigged out with all the touring accouterments. Had I made the choice, I'd have got the KP, but as you can see, that's not what went home with us.

The Kingpin's as capable a tourer as it is a boulevard cruiser, tho my wife has followed me all around the Pacific Northwest on her Vegas already. Hell...you really can't go wrong. Get the one that pokes your monkey!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Right on!
That just gave me a whole lot more bikes to choose from.
Thanks Ghost Rider!

I actually like the looks of the V92 a lot more than some of the newer Victories, (but I'd still own a newer Vic) and there are quite a few really nice ones on the market right now.

Besides checking that the frame/forks are straight -- scratch marks from being dropped/wrecked -- fluids -- tires -- general inspection etc. -- are there any "Victory specific" problems that I need to look for in a post '01 V92?

Again, Thanks for your time.
I am biased towards the v92 lol but other than a general inspection, I can't think of any specific problems to look for. I would do my best to get a test ride, if the bike has been sitting for awhile some quirky things can happen. The older v92s have problems with the odo resetting if the battery dies. I think it's the ones that have a yellow neutral light. I could be wrong on that. Anything 2002 or 2003 and newer you're good. cheers

Just found this. A bit of a drive though. http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=79641

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man that's a sweet ride Luciferiad, and so is your wife's Vegas!
A Cross-Roads is really what I want, but it's out of my price range.
I'm hoping to start taking extended trips out West on a bike so I'm wanting something with some storage capacity, like a bagger.

The sensible old man in me tells me I should probably look for a Kingpin with bags on it -- but the dumba$$ kid in me has a raging hard on for that fat back tire on the Hammer & the Vegas.

How do you think a Vegas would do as a touring bike with a windshield/bags?

Or do I just need to bite the bullet and drop the $ on a Kingpin vs trying to outfit a Vegas like a touring bike?

Damn I'll miss that big fat rear tire though. ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow, Thanks Ghost Rider! That's very much what I'm looking for.

I should have stated that I have a cummins diesel 4wd for sale right now, and as soon as I get the cash from that sale, I plan on buying a bike. It's an old hot rod & should sell pretty quick. I don't mind renting a car and driving anywhere in the lower 48 to get a bike like that.

Do the same worries about rust issues apply to bikes from areas that use salt during the winter? I sure not that many people are riding in the snow/salt, but....
Is it less of an issue with bikes?

Btw -- am I replying properly to each poster in this thread? I don't see ya'lls posts in my replies.
What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I can't say for sure about the rust, I would think it wouldn't be as much of an issue unless it was someone's only means of transportation. If you were to buy that bike or one from up north I would look it over really good.

To see a previous post in your reply, hit the black "quote" button, then you can type your reply under it. Is that what you were asking?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, that was it. Thanks. thumb up

Have you ridden a Vegas or a Kingpin, or another Victory model, other than your v92? If so, what did you think about it compared to the v92?

I like the looks of a dressed v92 better than a dressed Kingpin, but am wondering how much of a difference in longevity there would be between the two, if any.
Is the technology on the '06 Vegas/Kingpin so much better thaN it is on the earlier v92's that I should just get the newer bike?
Or am I judging the v92 unfairly based on my biased experiences with HD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
2003+

I'd stick with the Vegas style bikes which are 2003 and newer.
Not that the original classic cruisers aren't great bikes, but Polaris isn't supporting them anymore parts wise.
These bikes are pretty bullet proof. I had 35k miles on my 03 Vegas and the only thing I had to replace was a starter relay. $30.00...
On the older Vegas models, many of us did replace the levers with Ness and the cables with Barnett because clutch cables were breaking a lot. (And the Ness levers, and Braided steel cables look great so why not?)

I've seen some smokin deals on used Vics lately. Even a Ness Jackpot with all the cool mods done for 10k!
If I weren't hung up on getting a highball, I would have gone the used route myself.
8k for a nice used Vic should be no problem.

Good Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
682 Posts
I haven't had a chance to ride any other Vic's. The only other one around is an 05 Arlen ness kp at a honda shop and the guy won't let me ride it:(

I wouldn't be worried about longevity with any Vic 2002 and newer. If you can get something newer I would go for that. Just because there's a better aftermarket, better performance upgrades, and more parts availability.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Fellas I really appreciate all the feedback.
Y'all helped me make my mind up to get a Kingpin -- with as low mileage as I can find.
There's some really good deals out there and although I hope to get some riding in this summer I'm willing to take my time & find THE bike that I really want, as opposed to what's available on the market at the time.

Ghost Rider, hearing you say go with a newer Victory over the v92 kinda sealed the deal for me.

JazzRider, I 'd prefer an 8 Ball if I could find one. I'd rather be riding than polishing chrome, and most I of the vehicles I've owned over the years have been black with black trim/interior.

If I had the scratch I'd buy a blacked out XC -- but I bet I'll be happy with a newer Kingpin.

Thanks for all your input guys, you helped me pick my next bike.
Ride Safe!
Mick

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My buddy has a KP , it is awesome . 2008 I think with the 100 motor , hard bags , and a Corbin front fairing . Its a beast .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Lil Mags,
I've definitely decided upon a Kingpin after the short conversations I've had in this thread.

Not to start a war, but I've personally had some bad experiences with a HD that I just couldn't keep running. Well, I'm sure if I threw enough money at the problem I'd be riding it right now -- but the Irish in me doesn't like to pay any more than I "have to" and when I do come off with some $$$ I want to get my money's worth, so paying for something "twice" doesn't make me happy.
I would have never thought I'd have to pay so much and get to ride so little on a bike with less than 35k on the odometer. :-(
It pains me that all the Japanese made bikes I've owned outlasted my HD (by so much it's ridiculous) and I REALLY want an American bike that I can be proud of...AND get to ride.
Which is why I'm going with Victory despite all the ridiculing, cussing & arguments I have with my HD buddies. :)

So my last question to y'all is how many miles are "too many" for a newer Kingpin?
I see LOTS of bikes with about 15k on them, at really good prices.
Would any of you hesitate to buy a Kingpin with 20-30k on the odometer?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'd buy a KP with 30k on it if the price were right. In a heartbeat. And I'd immediately replace the clutch cable :D but outside of that, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Man, Thanks a whole lot Luciferiad!

That was what I was hoping to hear. There are some really nice -- decked out -- Kingpins out there in my price range, within that mileage range.

Guys I can't tell ya enough how much I appreciate the feedback!
I'm usually pretty slow to make my mind up - but you've all helped me decide on a Kingpin.
Thanks for all your replies!

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be on a (new to me) Kingpin.
cheers

Btw -- Thanks for the tip about the clutch cable!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Which is why I'm going with Victory despite all the ridiculing, cussing & arguments I have with my HD buddies. :)
Its called jealousy ... They cant stand that there is another more American bike maker , that actually make better bikes . Hell , just hearing about HD's 3 piece crank failures is enough for me to never but one .....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can understand a little competitive rivalry, and even think that's healthy, but the backbiting and vitriol I just don't get.

Maybe it's because I grew up overseas and had no choice but to ride a "Jap bike" -- or due to the fact that in 11 years I only saw one Harley in Dhahran, although I did drool over it even as a kid.
I loved the fact that it had American "Heritage" and would have felt the same way about ANY other American bike if I had seen one over there.

Something about being overseas makes you appreciate all things "American." Which is how my love affair with Harley started.
The stars in my eyes quickly faded after the third time it was in the shop (for almost 9 weeks) -- my adoration ended when I actually owned one.

I can't believe how pissed my buddies that ride get at the thought of me not wanting a HD -- but like I try to explain, HD dealers screwed me -- and I want to RIDE a bike, not sit on it out in the garage.

Anyway -- sorry to rant. I'm sure it's nothing y'all haven't heard before.
Let me just say I'm sure glad there's another dog in the race, even if they are the underdog.
I wish we had even more American choices out there when it comes to quality bikes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts