Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used 2010 XCT 3 months ago and I like the bike except they high sounding whine noise that comes from the engine.

1) Can someone tell me what is causing this?

2) And can someone tell me if there's a way to mitigate or stop the noise (besides buying a new bike or replacing the engine)?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
You didn't tell us how many miles are on the bike. If less than 3,000 its still breaking in and will eventually get quieter. The primary case is full of gears and they are somewhat noisier than a chain, but nowhere near the hassle. I only hear the whine when idling and that doesn't bother me at all.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
YES as RICZ says its the primary drive being gears,
stronger but noisier,
I like the whine myself, sounds tuff like a blower.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Picked up a used 2010 XCT 3 months ago and I like the bike except they high sounding whine noise that comes from the engine.

2) And can someone tell me if there's a way to mitigate or stop the noise (besides buying a new bike or replacing the engine)?

Thanks!!
Welcome to the mayhem.

Couple of things, cause I hate to see people taken. I hope there is a typo there because 12 was the first year of the XCT, maybe a XC dressed out. Kind of splitting hairs but cosmetics aren't the only difference, even though the rest are pretty minor and some done away with in a hurry.
Second, like rick said some whine a bit when new but not too bad. After getting off a Wing, I really didn't notice it much. I would say normal, but concern has been raised.
Cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apologies, it's a Cross Country, not an XCT...

Welcome to the mayhem.

Couple of things, cause I hate to see people taken. I hope there is a typo there because 12 was the first year of the XCT, maybe a XC dressed out. Kind of splitting hairs but cosmetics aren't the only difference, even though the rest are pretty minor and some done away with in a hurry.
Second, like rick said some whine a bit when new but not too bad. After getting off a Wing, I really didn't notice it much. I would say normal, but concern has been raised.
Cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was quite shocked myself at how much extra noise the direct drive makes. I've have timing gears on cars before. I thought the bike would be quieter but it's basically just as loud.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Its also possible the silencer was removed from the air filter. That noise is a little whiny, maybe whistley describes it better (I don't even know if that's a word). Either way, you get use to it.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I was quite shocked myself at how much extra noise the direct drive makes. I've have timing gears on cars before. I thought the bike would be quieter but it's basically just as loud.
nowhere near as loud as the straight cut timing gears on hot rods running around here, no way would I tolerate that sort of whine for long.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts

Thanks!!
Hell that's easy- it's all those ponies in there :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts