Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who thought it would be a good idea to put a highly reflective piece of chrome right between the risers and angle it in such a way that it reflects the midday sun in retina incinerating laser beams directly into the riders eyes. Am I the only unlucky person to be experiencing this problem. Its only just started happening over the last month or so and between the hours of 12:45pm and 2:30pm CST. I am guessing that I just now started experiencing it due to the suns position changing as the summer goes on but it is BRUTAL. Powerful enough leave a spot in my vision and induce a head ache if I continue riding through it. Is there a way that I can relatively easily and relatively cheaply paint the little chrome cover black and solve this stupid problem to have???

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
who thought it would be a good idea to put a highly reflective piece of chrome right between the risers and angle it in such a way that it reflects the midday sun in retina incinerating laser beams directly into the riders eyes. Am I the only unlucky person to be experiencing this problem. Its only just started happening over the last month or so and between the hours of 12:45pm and 2:30pm CST. I am guessing that I just now started experiencing it due to the suns position changing as the summer goes on but it is BRUTAL. Powerful enough leave a spot in my vision and induce a head ache if I continue riding through it. Is there a way that I can relatively easily and relatively cheaply paint the little chrome cover black and solve this stupid problem to have???
My guess is that they didn't test for such reflectivity at your house between the hours of 12:45 and 2:30 at this time of year.

I suggest black stuff under your eyes like football players... but seriously, I have no idea how to help and I shouldn't have posted here.

:cool:

But they do have black spray paint made for painting bar-b-ques.... at your neighborhood home improvement store, would that work? I do not know.

:crzy:

·
Registered
539 Posts
How about some painters tape, for a temp fix until the sun rearranges itself.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Don't get a chrome gas cap either...
This would be the cue for one of you with an ALL black Victory to post that picture... THEN people will know how smart you are.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL you can always count on a good deal of smart-assery in response to just about anything posted on this forum. But seriously I love my Vegas I ride the sh*t out of it and have just been annoyed of late by this little issue. I'm sure its rectified easily enough with paint but having exactly zero experience painting metal or anything else for that matter I didnt know if I was going to be needing a professional powder coating job or if there is something I could get from a hardware store and spray on myself that would last.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The same guy that put a chrome gas cap on Harley Police bikes. Nothing some black Plasti Dip can't solve

·
Registered
166 Posts
Haven't come across any issues with the reflecting sun yet, but my only (small) issue I've had is when I have my brights on at night. The blue light reflects off the chrome brace on the windshield and is very bright.
I like to have my dash as dark as possible so as not to affect my night vision.
Was thinking some black tape on the brace but that'd ruin the look. Now thinking a small circle of window tint on the speedo just over the light, to dim it a little further.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Hey Mike, my XR windscreen brackets have 2 similar spots. Black electricians tape does the trick for me and its easily removed.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I'm sure its rectified easily enough with paint but having exactly zero experience painting metal or anything else for that matter I didnt know if I was going to be needing a professional powder coating job or if there is something I could get from a hardware store and spray on myself that would last.
Just sand it and spray it will satin black gas grill paint. If it starts to look bad just do it again...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Easy fix for you. Goto home Depot pick up black Plastidip, remove the bezel, clean bezel, spray bezel, drink beer and get eyes checked for damage lol. I sprayed mine, the beauty of it since you don't have sand the surface no damage done if you want it chrome again. Did my cheese wedges also

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd say scuff and paint. If you don't want to do that...go to your local vinyl sign guy and have him black it out. It's temporary, glossy or matte. Doubt it would be very expensive, and definately not messy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet thanks guys I think I'll try the plasti dip first and then more permanent sand and paint if that doesnt work out. Thanks for the HELPFULL responses!! thumb up

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be more fun to just take a different route, one that changes the sun angle. Less work too.

m
You know I tried that but I must be on the sun gods black list cause wouldnt you know it at high noon no matter which direction you go the sun is always right over head...its the darndest thing!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sweet thanks guys I think I'll try the plasti dip first and then more permanent sand and paint if that doesnt work out. Thanks for the HELPFULL responses!! thumb up
That's the way to go. It has held up really well for me even with wiping it down once in a while. Just remember to follow the can directions, several thin coats.

If you have a hard time getting the bezel off because you're afraid you're going to break it and decide to mask the face then spray it...make sure you take a razor to the edge between the tape and the bezel or the plasti dip will peel off with the tape.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You know I tried that but I must be on the sun gods black list cause wouldnt you know it at high noon no matter which direction you go the sun is always right over head...its the darndest thing!!
Polarized lenses.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my Hammer. Polarized lenses didn't help whatsoever. Leaning back a good bit did though. I will plastidip them in the future- that stuff is awesome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL light was being reflected off chrome piece and then through my clear FF Helmet Screen the tinted drop down visor and then through my Polarized Oakleys and was STILL blinding as said above the only thing that works to stop it is lean back or tilt my chin way up so the FF Helmet chin would block it. Just slapped a coat of Plastidip on looks like that is gonna get it!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts