Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've talked to Scott at Conquest Customs and he said his shock makes the world of difference.

Anybody on here got one and what difference is it?

I sure would like to "soften" up those bumps when I'm riding.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have one on my KP, and it is indeed night, and day. When solo I can drop the bike a little, dial down the preload, and dampening. The bike is smooth, and easy across bumps. When getting aggressive I crank up the dampening for a much more sporty ride. When I ride with the wife. I jack it up, increase preload, and dampening, and even she notices how the harshness has been removed over road imperfections. Even road construction is smoothed out.

Preload, and dampening can be adjusted in moments without breaking a sweat. Took me a few rides to get my preferred settings down, but now I just turn, or click.
Height takes a minute, or two, but it is a breeze. Normal height for riding, or drop it for bike nights

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Thankx Kevin,

This is the type of info I've been looking for.

I think the Victory's are great bikes but we are a "small" cult and this really helps me make up my mind for next riding season.

I was sure Scot was telling the truth but a non bias endorsement is priceless.

I've seen some guys talking about a KP shock on their JP but maybe having issues with bottoming out and tearing up wiring harnesses??

I assume it's NOT the case with the Penske?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
While the KP is a softer shock then the JP. It will RAISE your bike by 1"; so to get back the low look you need to add lowering links. This is where you run into bottoming issues. Not in my mind a real solution.
If you ask my wife the shock is the best mod I made to my bike.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Does the Penske shock have compression and rebound damping adjustments? If so are the adjusters easily accessible? Is anyone aware of any other shock options?

When I road tested a Jackpot recently I noticed the front forks had Polaris cast into the inner surface. Are the Victory conventional front forks made in the USA? How about the inverted forks on the Cross Roads/Country, Kingpin and Hammer? If they are not made here does anyone know who builds them?

Tech23

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Dampening on the Penske is adjusted by an easy to reach knob. Preload adjustment is moved to the bottom, and access is done without pulling anything.

Conventional forks are from Kyaba, or Marzuchi, and inverted forks are Marzuchi

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anyone know how the Penske compares to the Progressive 465? I am wondering whether the significant price difference also translates to significant performance difference.

TIA

·
Registered
442 Posts
both penske and progressive are rebound adjustable only for damping. I have a penkse (second penske in as many bikes, actually) and it is a far better shock than stock but to realize the benefits you must take the time to dial it in, and that can take a while to get right. Be patient and methodical and your work will pay off. Do not assume it will be adjusted correctly out of the box. On mine, preload was way off and the damping was a fair bit off too.

I can't comment on the differences between penske and progressive. I trust the penske product, and have used it before quite satisfatorily so I didn't want to take the risk. My decision though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.