Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Call me old..... old fashioned...... old Phart or whatever.

I have been riding for over 40 years......everything from a Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Suzuki 6X Hustler, to a Scott Flying Squirrel, I have been a very lucky man in that regard.

Mostly I have owned motorcycles that have remained totally stock, with some minor exceptions, such as K&N Air Filters (that I began using in 1973). My 1985 Gold Wing Aspencade carried my wife and I, along with luggage enough for 21 days, all over this country and Canada. It was, other than the K&N, dead stock as far as the engine was concerned. Never once did I feel that it was underpowered, no matter the terrain or weather.

Maybe I just don't get it, but why all the performance mods? Does everyone just want more HP? If so, why not buy that hot BMW or Suzuki?

That said, I do appreciate the desire for a nicer sound on a V Twin (no way to make a Gold Wing sound good) and I also appreciate the desire for better breathing and a washable air cleaner. But are all the hundreds if not thousands of dollars of fuel processors, soft ware flashes, cams, etc really needed for a guy that wants to enjoy his bike on long weekends along the east coast and into the Smokey Mountains?

Just curious........ I am totally new to the V-Twin crowd...... well, except for a couple....... The Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans and the Ducati 750SS Desmo we had WAY back when.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hodaka nice. I had two a looking time ago. I was young though. One was my stepfathers the other one he gave to me. And mods for bikes are just because people can and want to improve on whatever it is they have like bikes, cars, houses. Whatever people own they want to improve. So why not?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i guess im an old fart too. ive had 7 bikes so far and none
had any mods. not even a k&n filter. it never stopped me
from enjoying the ride. and they never bothered the people
around me. every hd that passes us that has pipes has to go down at least 1 gear so i can appreciate my new hearing loss. i have
quite a few hd friends. gee, why are most of them wearing ear plugs now?--irv

·
Registered
236 Posts
As my 15 yr old daughter would say as she's speeding away in a stolen cop car YOLO! :D

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I did the Stage 1 on my XCT in hope that it would run slightly cooler, for those hot summer days. Other than that, my mods are all about making the bike mine or making it more useful and usable -- shorter windshield so I can ride in fog, heated clothing hook-ups so I can better ride through the winter, trunk rack to carry more so I don't need a car, better lighting so I am seen and to better ride at night, GPS so I can ride anywhere with confidence, Avon brake and shift pegs so I can brake and shift without missing the stock mini-nubs, passenger hand-holds for passenger safety and comfort and to provide more places for bungee cords to hold down cargo, carpeted trunk so things don't clunk around back there, bag liners for quick changes of storage use. I also have a Utopia removable backrest so I can ride long trips in comfort, or get the backrest out of the way for daily riding.

I want to: put a real horn on it because the stock horn serves no purpose other than comedy; put BBob's heat deflectors on to make hot day riding more comfortable.

The engine runs great! Better fuel efficiency would be nice, so I could ride more at less expense, but none of the mods out there are for that (I'm getting 40-45mpg). Most of the mods add power/torque at higher RPMs, but I ride (and want to ride) most of the time at 2.300 to 3,500 RPM anyway. Give me a mod that keeps my bike running and performing as well as it does now, but getting 50-60 miles per gallon (shouldn't a bike be more efficient than a Prius?) and I will want that.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Maybe I just don't get it, but why all the performance mods? Does everyone just want more HP? If so, why not buy that hot BMW or Suzuki?
I can't speak for the people who do the serious engine mods as I tend to agree with you, but I can say that it's been my experience that stock twins generally run much better without the EPA requirements obstructing their pulmonary function.

Inlines seem to have a much better tolerance for this EPA stuff. Goldwings run fine stock too. Twins, not so much. And air-cooled twins are already at a pretty significant power disadvantage compared to the competition.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i used to do the whole cam, filter, pipe thing on a harley just to get it up to usable power, but the vic has plenty of power for me. i will be doing the pipe, filter, flash just for the sound. i have been run into the median on a 4 lane and between the fast lane and concrete seperator on the interstate on stock bikes people can't hear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
OK, Call me old..... old fashioned...... old Phart or whatever.

I have been riding for over 40 years......everything from a Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Suzuki 6X Hustler, to a Scott Flying Squirrel, I have been a very lucky man in that regard.

Mostly I have owned motorcycles that have remained totally stock, with some minor exceptions, such as K&N Air Filters (that I began using in 1973). My 1985 Gold Wing Aspencade carried my wife and I, along with luggage enough for 21 days, all over this country and Canada. It was, other than the K&N, dead stock as far as the engine was concerned. Never once did I feel that it was underpowered, no matter the terrain or weather.

That said, I do appreciate the desire for a nicer sound on a V Twin (no way to make a Gold Wing sound good) and I also appreciate the desire for better breathing and a washable air cleaner. But are all the hundreds if not thousands of dollars of fuel processors, soft ware flashes, cams, etc really needed for a guy that wants to enjoy his bike on long weekends along the east coast and into the Smokey Mountains?

Just curious........ I am totally new to the V-Twin crowd...... well, except for a couple....... The Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans and the Ducati 750SS Desmo we had WAY back when.
I don't get it either. The stock engine on my Kingpin was powerful enough to cruise smoothly for 8 hours at 85 MPH Toronto and back. I just chalk it to to some people wanting to make a hobby out of working on the bike as much as riding it. I messed around with my 750 to get some more HP out of it, but the Victory engine doesn't need anything more than you get out of the factory.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Because that's what they like. Has nothing to do with being old fashioned/old...just a personal preference thing. I don't see a Vic listed in your signature, so I'm going to assume you're looking at one. This same question can easily be flipped around your (or any of our) situation. Why spend $15k (give or take) on a motorcycle just to get around when you already have a car? It's because it's what we enjoy...we all just enjoy it differently.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Because that's what they like. Has nothing to do with being old fashioned/old...just a personal preference thing. I don't see a Vic listed in your signature, so I'm going to assume you're looking at one. This same question can easily be flipped around your (or any of our) situation. Why spend $15k (give or take) on a motorcycle just to get around when you already have a car? It's because it's what we enjoy...we all just enjoy it differently.
BRAVO!! I have been modifying things since I took the fenders off my tricycle. Sure I don't NEED to do it. Just like I don't need to get irritated with holier then thou people that want to tell me how to own my bike. To steal a line from the past
"If I have to explain it. You wouldn't understand anyway"

Oh yea....I don't want no fucking german or jap bike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just like do I NEED 12 lbs of boost in my mach1? probably not. But I wanted it there.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
I have found that even the slightest modification resulting in power (real or percieved) or sound or comfort causes my penis to grow some. :DThe bigger the mod the bigger...well, you know.cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can never have too much Power

A lot of people mod their v-twins because they want to go fast. If these things had 200 hp and 200 lbs of torque stock and still had all the charm of a big twin you would probably see a lot fewer people hopping them up. Personally I get jaded almost as soon as I get familiar with a motor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
After going to a Victory Demo Ride last year, I realized that there really weren't any newer Vics that I liked any better than my 04 so I decided to make mine a touch snappier. I will be keeping this bike for a while so why not make it as enjoyable as possible...and I have enjoyed the hp increase. It sometimes enables me to quickly get the hell away from a traffic situation/idiot driver that I would rather not be near.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have found that even the slightest modification resulting in power (real or percieved) or sound or comfort causes my penis to grow some. :DThe bigger the mod the bigger...well, you know.cheers
Maybe that's why I've never been overly eager to do mods...no need. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Why spend $15k (give or take) on a motorcycle just to get around when you already have a car?
Just because you're from Minnesota doesn't mean that everybody has a car, snow tires and chains, etc. etc. just like you. I don't have a car. Why did you think that I have a car? Is there a minimum wealth requirement to be on this forum, so that I must own several vehicles, and not just the one?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts