Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some feedback from folks who have actually owned both. I am currently considering purchasing a XCT or a HD Ultra Limited. I've rented the HD in March and rode it for 4 days around Vegas, AZ UT. I've never been a big HD person, but that is a nice comfy bike and the Infomat System has everything you need on long trips with the included GPS. I have not ridden a XCT as my local dealer in Anchorage does not do test rides. So I'm asking for some solid comments based on experience with both bikes and manufacturers. Please no "Harley sucks" posts without some constructive points. Thanks in advance. If this horse has been beaten to death I apologize.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I ride with Harley folks and at leisurely lunch stops, there is always one or two who has had or is having mechanical problems. Or problems with the dealer service department. Not saying no Vic owner never had prob's but they are very rare indeed.
I have been riding over 62 years and was forced by cancer and age into a cruiser. Tried a lot of them out and did a lot of research and here's what I found out about Victorys that pushed me over their fence...
+ Comfort. Lots of leg stretching room on very long floorboards. Adjustable foot controls, fore and aft. Almost 5" of suspension travel front AND rear. Gives a nice boulevard ride at cruise speeds and tightens up when riding fast and/or working twisties.
+ Handling. In addition to my last sentence, Cross bikes have a cast alloy backbone frame that's as stiff as a bridge girder--no frame flex in the twisties. So handling is way better than any H-D I rode.
+ Requires very little maintenance and when there's something to do, they are so easy to work on. I'm 79 and do all my own tasks including wheel removal. The mufflers do not have to be taken off to remove the rear wheel. Only one oil drain plug to Harley's three. Belt change out takes maybe a half hour, if that. Stators and other electricals don't have the H-D problems I hear about a lot. My dealer has never seen my bike in the 5-1/2 years I've owned it.
+ More power and comfort, less maintenance and less money. What's not to like? Ride one, you'll own one. That's almost certain.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I really, /really/ wanted an Ultra Classic. But it felt kind of cramped, and my foot kept getting caught in the heel toe shifter.

I rode a Cross Country and it was much more comfortable and the handling was amazing.

I still ride an Ultra from time to time and I am reminded every time that I made the correct choice. For me.

The absolute best thing you can do is ride them both. Multiple times. Only you can determine the best bike for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks RICZ for the maintenance info. This is a concern for me because the Victory dealer in Anchorage is a multi-brand dealer and does not have a very good reputation for service.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would push for that test ride. When I bought my judge the dealer kept trying to get me to test the Vegas saying they were so similar but I insisted they prep the judge for me to test ride. Went to a different dealer when I bought my XC, said I was fine On their demo XC. They insisted I test ride the one I was interested in, prepped it in 15 min and away we went.
If they won't let you test ride one look for another dealer, I was under the impression all victory dealers had to have so many demo bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked and they said that Victory will not insure the test ride up here in Alaska. They said I would have to buy it and if I don't like it I have to return it within 15 miles. The next closest dealer doesn't have any XCT in stock.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I asked and they said that Victory will not insure the test ride up here in Alaska. They said I would have to buy it and if I don't like it I have to return it within 15 miles. The next closest dealer doesn't have any XCT in stock.
I'm not from Alaska so I don't know, but that sounds like a bogus excuse to me
Any other dealers around?

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Thanks RICZ for the maintenance info. This is a concern for me because the Victory dealer in Anchorage is a multi-brand dealer and does not have a very good reputation for service.
You'll have friends on this forum with help and tips that will provide you with the confidence to do any task that comes up. I went into this not knowing a thing about Victorys and now I have a head full of Vic info. thanks to these guys. Fair warning; Do not start an oil thread.thumb up

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not from Alaska so I don't know, but that sounds like a bogus excuse to me
Any other dealers around?
next one is in Fairbanks. Believe or not the are a Victory, HD and BMW dealer! They have a good rep with the Beemer and HD guys. I'll call them.thumb up

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll have friends on this forum with help and tips that will provide you with the confidence to do any task that comes up. I went into this not knowing a thing about Victorys and now I have a head full of Vic info. thanks to these guys. Fair warning; Do not start an oil thread.thumb up

:ltr: I know, I've been around motorcycle forums for awhile.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I rode only HD's for 25 years. 87 Sporty and a 99 Fatboy (traded in on the Vic). I took the Street glide for a ride and the Cross Country.

In the end the Cross Country was a more comfortable bike. 5" of rear suspension travel compared to 2.5" on the street glide. I'm only 5'7" and I love the fact that the bike is longer and feels bigger. But it is lighter than it's equiv. HD.

The Vic's are riders bike. You won't be looking at the catalog for matching chrome covers, fancy grips, etc.

First you have to like the way it looks and sounds. If you don't like either you will regret you decision in a couple of years.

I was as hard core as any asshole HD rider, but I realized the benefits of a better engineered bike.

You need to take both for a ride and see what feels better to you. I've found the Vic's like to be RPM'd a little higher than I was use to on the HD. I got use to it quick though. Leaving next Thurs. for a 4 day trip to PA, 1200 miles and I can't wait. No more popping Motrin every morning because my ass, neck and back is sore from the previous days ride.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've owned a "77 shovelhead, a "97 Bagger and a 05 Road King. The shovelhead made many trips to Canada and all over the NW. The bagger made trips all over the western US and Canada. The Road King went even further. All the way to NYC and back. Also up to Alaska.
(total mileage with these bikes is around 300,000 in 35 years)

Now; I have a 2013 XCT. It's already clocked more then 40,000 miles (TROUBLE FREE) and smoothly. It's a fabulous motorcycle.

RIC info is right on.

I would almost tell you, that if you are over 5'10" to "just buy it" .

·
Registered
566 Posts
You buy a Victory because Ultras are Limited...

... I thought everybody knew that :rolleyes:

You must test ride, ergonomics are very different between Vics and HDs. The taller fellers seem to prefer Vics while shorter people tend to favor HDs. One will fit better than the other.

Good luck! thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I bought victory after owning 2 Harley's, a Triumph and every modern make of dirt bike known to man... I bought both of mine mostly because of reliability and to be different. I also bought it because the Harley products seemed so small and cramped. I rode the new Streetglide and Roadglide... Both bikes had nice features but they underwhelmed me in power and comfort. My only complaint with Victory is limited aftermarket parts and dealers. With Indian in the fold now I see that changing though. In the last 3 years Polaris has done good things with there motorcycle line up. I see big things happening for these 2 lines of motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Sounds like that dealer isn't very confident. I don't suppose the demo truck is heading your way any time soon? Please figure out a way to go ride one. The ad copy is quite true, "ride one and you'll own one"

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
FWIW here's my 2 cents...

First of all I've never owned a Harley BUT ...

For the past 15 or so years I've gone to their demo days almost every year and ridden them. Mostly ride the Ultra but have also tried the Road Glide, the trike, Heritage, and a couple others. My son rides a 2003 Sportster Anniv edition that he bought new and I've wrenched on that thing a few times so I have some experience with HD at least.

Number one ... I really like the new Harley Ultra Limited. I like how they look, sound, fit and finish, how they are equipped.

What I don't like;
1. The price to purchase, the price of their "goodies", and the cost to maintain them.
2. Floorboards make my feet feel cramped.
3. Foot controls don't feel "natural" meaning I always felt I had to raise my foot off the floorboard to work them.
4. Too much wind against my body, arms, and head buffeting.

Now to the Victory

There is nothing I don't like about it.

Comparing the above points on the Harley..
1. No comparison ... the Vic wins hands down.
2. Again, no comparison. There's so much room on the Vic floorboards it's amazing. No other bike on the market has this. The angle is perfect.
3. Controls are at a natural position and if you don't like it, then you can move them forward or back. You don't have to raise your foot to work them.
4. Air management is much better than the HD. I get zero buffeting on my body anywhere and feel very little wind.

Above is my opinion ... hope that helps some.

Now, if I was a rich guy, I'd have both but the HD might sit in my living room for display only LMAO!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was bike free for 17 yrs...rode a HD before. I still love the HD for fit and finish...better than Vic IMO but, the vics are just a more reliable, solid bike period. I own a 11' CC and absolutely love it.... Yes HD bikes do have way more accessories which is nice...there are a lot of Vic vendors out there just not as well known. Some of the parts these vendors produce are killer.

Anyway, being a tall rider with 3 bulging discs it was a challenge for me to remain comfy on long rides. With the ability to stretch out with the long boards is nothing short of keeping me riding. The transmissions in the vics are noisy and a bit clunky but, bulletproof...will take that any day. My ex father inlaw owned an HD ultra which i used to ride up to 4 yrs ago...IMO my CC is a much better bike all around. As mentioned also if you like to wrench at all they are very easy to work on which is a huge bonus as dealer labor rates are as much as auto dealers.

If you do buy the CCT you will not regret it!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I bought two low mileage used 2012 Vic XCT bikes late in 2014 - one for me and one for my wife. Prior to buying these, I shopped HD, Yamaha, Honda Goldwing, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Indian. For all of these bikes, I was looking at their high end touring models. The XCT had the best fit for me. The big problem for me with the HD (road glide, street glide, or ultra) was that I felt cramped in two ways. I was too close to the fairing (not so much on the road glide). More importantly, I felt like the footbeds were too far off the ground. My feet were too high. This put my upper leg in a flat or slightly raised position (knee even with or a tiny bit higher than hip). This was very uncomfortable for me since I was coming from an HD softail where my feet were more stretched out. The fit of the HD touring line just did not work for me. I am 5'-10", 175 lbs, and very normal shaped - no long legs or arms. Just your average Joe.

As many others have said, you MUST test ride a bike before buying it.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Never fails after a Victory Demo day, we get a few HD trade ins the next week, Some people like the bikes better because it fits better, stops better and if you get a XCT, your good to go from the dealer lot to where ever you wanna point the nose.

We had one gent fly in, ride the bike to this daughters place in Boston, south to DC and then back home to Utah, brand new 100% stock 2014 XCT, I wanna say that was 5000 miles in about a week and a half? ZERO issues.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts