Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming time to do the last maintenance before I hit the road on a 7000 mile trip. Between work and home I have little time to do some simple maintenance like install tires and sevice the forks. How hard can this be? so off to the local dealer the bike went.

1) Install owner supplied front tire
2) Install rear tire shop purchased
3) Balance both
4) Install new Belt, 32800 mile on old
5) Change the oil in the forks

By the shop manual this should take about 4 hours....

Bike was dropped off tuesday evening and I was told it would be ready by 5pm the next day. First shocker was the 1,145.00 bill! next was the charge for a new kickstand pad revits and washers. Please note I did not list that above as I did not need it replaced it was missing a screw and I just got it that evening.

Going to the shop to pick up the bike the owner (Mechanic) tells me do not touch the horn it blows the fuse. WTF It worked when I dropped it off! Not sure what they did but I will fix it.

Driving home somethign is not right, the brand new front brake pad I installed the Friday before are not working right, slow to grab and then they stick like glue. Quick look, Oil on the rotors! and I notice a ring on the fork tubes just like a bad seal!

I wiped the tubes down and rode home only to find the rings reappeared and a noticable amount of oil on the tubes. Wiped them down again and bounced the forks up and down. Lots of oil on the tubes. F&^%K they screwed up the seals!

Back to the shop it goes. The mechanic/owner gives me excuses and blames his staff for what is wrong. He "dosen't understand why it is leaking....

Another day in the shop to fix the forks. Pick the bike up at noon and the forks are no longer leaking, but instead of replaceing the oil soaked brake pads they "cleaned" them! they also put some 25+ miles on the bike just to make sure the forks did not leak.

Now I have it home on my lift, I find that the rear belt is too tight!
The alignment is screwed up. Slipon mufflers are loose at the band clamp lead head pipe is loose at the cylinder head. Just for grins I check the battery both terminals are loose they were tight going in because I just tightened them.

New Front Pads installed, Thank you Jon for the speedy shippment. and wiping down the front wheel the wheel weights fall off!

Something about customer service comes to mind here. If it was my shop this would have never happened and the mechanics woudl have been trained to do service or looking for a new job.

But because this place taughts it self as a Kustom Shop I guess 1) customer service really doesn't matter, and 2) it could be that many who go there just don't really ride.

Funny thing, I called the only other shop near me In annapolis and the service manager told me that He would move mountains to get me in and check over the whole bike and make sure it was up to the ride I have planned in 10 days. I told him that I would call if I found anything that need a shop tech to fix.

Worst part is this shop taughts itself as a Lloyds authorized shop.... Mr Greer should reconsider having his name associated with them.

For all of those who will say that I should give the shop another chance or that stuff happens, I ride my bike almost every day, since Jan of 13 I have put 32800 miles on her and I am about to head out on a 7000 mile ride to include the Canadian Rockies and BC. Last thing I want is to have to deal with a breakdown in some remote section of the western rockies.

For those in SoMD your expirences may vary. This is the first and last time I do business with this shop.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well,,,,,,,stuff does happen. How it is handled after it happens is what separates the bad, good, and the great.
I would have made my last trip there also. Like you have done, they would have had the chance to make it right before the rant though.

Hope all is well and your trip is good.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm working in ND right now in the Bakken. Richest oil reserves known.The money up here doesn't grow on trees. It's just lying on the ground.

The help here might be considered sub par but then that would be an insult to sub par peeps. Many will clear six digits for looking dumb and being dumber.

What kind of help do you expect at a Motorsport shop? No, expect is the wrong word. What kind of help is a bike sholp likely to get for the wages they can pay?1

·
13,040 Posts
Go to there face book page and tell them. All so tell Lloydz
screw them never go back

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I'm working in ND right now in the Bakken. Richest oil reserves known.The money up here doesn't grow on trees. It's just lying on the ground.

The help here might be considered sub par but then that would be an insult to sub par peeps. Many will clear six digits for looking dumb and being dumber.

What kind of help do you expect at a Motorsport shop? No, expect is the wrong word. What kind of help is a bike sholp likely to get for the wages they can pay?1

what do you do that your out there?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I herd cats.I take a bunch of crybaby welders and spoiled fitters and prima Donna millwrights and lazy operators and shady vendors and gummint functionaries and squeeze them all together and try to get something that don't leak or catch fire... much.

It"s thankless work but my bike is paid for and I don't have to elbow my way into line at anybody's hind teat. I have had to learn to speak stupid fluently though. It's the native tongue of a lot of folks with more cents than sense.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Wages do not made a technician. the leadership and pride in ones work are the issues here.

I have had my bike serviced by a former shop that paid its techs almost nothing and they did a much better job and even got a tip for me for the good work.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$1,145.00? Did you get a 'happy ending'?
Happy ending???? I spent most of Friday afternoon and evening in my garage fixing stuff and making it right. What did the shop do for me... nothing.

Happy ending with the shop? I would say yes as I am happy to never do business with them again.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was discussed with them directly and I got a royal FU....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Squatch I hope you don't really harbor illusions that pride of craft precedes a payday at a bike shop. If so maybe keeping a copy of that 1100 dollar bill in your wallet for occasional reference may be a reminder of the wages of faith in others.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Squatch I hope you don't really harbor illusions that pride of craft precedes a payday at a bike shop. If so maybe keeping a copy of that 1100 dollar bill in your wallet for occasional reference may be a reminder of the wages of faith in others.
Pop, to each their own. A large paycheck doesn't buy you quality. You are managing the Hi paid folk around you and you have to speak fleunt Stupid.

I work for Uncle. In support of the uniforms of our services, I can retire on what I have in my bank account.
I have a job to do and do nto get paid the same as those knuckleheads you manage but I am responsible fo rmillions of dollars and lives of the service members bsed on my decissions and discussion.

I remit Money is just that Money. It is an Attitude that make the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Thats why it pays to use a credit card when having work done. Then you control the money. When you control the money then you get results. Thanks for warning others. Whats the name of this shop again?

I had a tire installed once at city Limits HD in Palatine Illinois. tire was purchased from them and installed supposedly free. i was the 3rd in line. 96 road king, so no accessory purchases or new bike in the near future so I got put on the back burner. The first 2 guys were through and gone in just over an hour. 5 hours later and at least 20 other bikes in and out while mine sat on the rack it was finally done. Jag loads tried to charge me $65 for repacking the rear wheel bearings. They're sealed bearings. I bitched and complained all to no avail. if i wanted my bike back that was the charge. 295 for a new tire installed "free". Never again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Last time I was in a dealers was 4 years ago getting a new radio & headlight module under warranty on my Vision. I get all my maintenance & repairs done at this guy's garage in the picture. He's slow but very meticulous and likes to clean and polish areas that no one ever even sees. He's been known to drink on the job and replace parts sometimes before they're broke-but he cares more about my bikes than anyone on the planet.

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
I too, work on my own bike as much as I possibly can. Not on all things---but as much as I can. I have had more bad experiences with my 2 closest Vic dealerships than I EVER had with ALL the Harley shops. Just sayin.

When I needed a tire replaced and my bike inspected, I drilled a 2 inch sheet metal screw into the tire and rode it 80 miles to a dealership that treated me like a human and had more bikes than boats in the lot. I am not saying they are a bad place, but motorcycles are a side business. Their main revenue is ATVs, boats, jet skis and everything else. If you are buying something new, you are important. If you are buying a part, pay in advance, and we will order it and call you when it gets here---and you pay for shipping it!

I feel you pain. I have a few stories like yours.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You are managing the Hi paid folk around you and you have to speak fleunt Stupid.

In my opinion that is all he speaks, and rants on and on to the point that I know he gets off reading his own B.S. It may be time for pops to quit writing novels, and just get to the point.:ltr:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Happy ending???? I spent most of Friday afternoon and evening in my garage fixing stuff and making it right. What did the shop do for me... nothing.

Happy ending with the shop? I would say yes as I am happy to never do business with them again.
SO
WHO is this shop.
I or someone else reading this thread might need some service on their bike while traveling in your area and we do not need to fine out the hard way that this (?) shop sucks.
If there is no pride, the work might not get right.

My brother's shop (Greg Coen Motor Company) in Springfield, Oregon pays his employees hourly, so they don't hurry and screw it up. They just celebrated 20 years in business. I think e has had Victory for a little over 4 years.
I figure your bill should only be $700 or $800.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SO
WHO is this shop.
I or someone else reading this thread might need some service on their bike while traveling in your area and we do not need to fine out the hard way that this (?) shop sucks.
If there is no pride, the work might not get right.

My brother's shop (Greg Coen Motor Company) in Springfield, Oregon pays his employees hourly, so they don't hurry and screw it up. They just celebrated 20 years in business. I think e has had Victory for a little over 4 years.
I figure your bill should only be $700 or $800.
Three dealers in Maryland,
Never delt with the Westminster shop,

Annapolis guys are great and will work with you.

And then there is the one in Southern Md on US 301.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You are managing the Hi paid folk around you and you have to speak fleunt Stupid.

In my opinion that is all he speaks, and rants on and on to the point that I know he gets off reading his own B.S. It may be time for pops to quit writing novels, and just get to the point.:ltr:
I'm a Pop novel fan.

I just had a bad Vic service experience. I think manufacturer required training would go a long way to improving the situation. Acquiring such training credentials would improve pay by decreasing the number of people able/available to do the work.

Never had a schlep tech when I ran Ducatis. They were all required to be factory trained.

Not sure I've read of a good tech outside of the guys that were Lloyd trained to install cams.

Now off to read Pop's latest...Fifty Shales of Grey.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts