Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other Jackpot owners experiencing this issue?

My Jackpot like some others, has the swept pipes and the belt drive located on the right side. Thus there's almost no leg clearance from the scathing, hot exhaust pipes. When sitting stationary on the bike, I have to be ever mindful and damn careful not to get my right calf burned. Other than maybe installing a lowering kit to allow more squat to my seating position (then I lose some foot peg clearance!), I don't know what else to do to prevent 2nd/3rd degree burns. For now I'm wearing leather boots and pants that have extra material sewn into the lower legs to provide better heat insulation but the material then leaves slight residue periodically when it brushes against it. Why didn't Victory place the belt drive on the left side to balance the visual appeal and allow for the pipes to get tucked in closer to the frame like on Harley's Rocker model? As much as I dislike Harleys, IMO they got it right on that one! Your thoughts or suggestions?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Any other Jackpot owners experiencing this issue?

My Jackpot like some others, has the swept pipes and the belt drive located on the right side. Thus there's almost no leg clearance from the scathing, hot exhaust pipes. When sitting stationary on the bike, I have to be ever mindful and damn careful not to get my right calf burned. Other than maybe installing a lowering kit to allow more squat to my seating position (then I lose some foot peg clearance!), I don't know what else to do to prevent 2nd/3rd degree burns. For now I'm wearing leather boots and pants that have extra material sewn into the lower legs to provide better heat insulation but the material then leaves slight residue periodically when it brushes against it. Why didn't Victory place the belt drive on the left side to balance the visual appeal and allow for the pipes to get tucked in closer to the frame like on Harley's Rocker model? As much as I dislike Harleys, IMO they got it right on that one! Your thoughts or suggestions?

[/URL][/IMG]
I'm thinking that a number of things go into a new bike build and one is weight distribution. I've burned my legs so many times it ain't funny. Last time I fell against pipe and did a 2nd degree burn that took forever to heal.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The best way to prevent getting burnt when riding a motorcycle is to not ride a motorcycle . Or buy a bike where your legs don't hit the hot parts..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well at least now I know I'm not the only one nervous around those hot pipes.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Those are the RPW Slash pipes , pretty much the best pipes on the planet for the steel framed Vic's .... You are way overthinking it , I had a 2013 Hammer with those same pipes , I never had a problem or burned my leg . Just Ride and Enjoy that beautiful machine !

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
I always wear proper motorcycle boots and leather , denim or kevlar jeans.
in almost 100,000 kms Ive never burned my leg, get a bit warm sometimes, so I move my leg.
Not a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Compromise and balance. i'd much rather have the belt set up the way it is on Victories than HD's where you have to spend 4 hours pulling the complete primary just to change a belt. The book does call for 6 hours though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well at least now I know I'm not the only one nervous around those hot pipes.
you mean something like this?

don't worry. it only hurts for a little while...
lol

i have burnt through a couple rain pants and a pair of jeans.. i have been looking at something to keep things from contacting the pipes but the only real way is to make sure i lean the bike to the throttle side a little more than the clutch side to give me more space to put my foot down...

oh and this is after 4 years.. but its worth it. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same pipes on mine and after burning a hole in a $300 pair of rain pants I'm seriously considering wrapping the pipes. Not crazy about wrapping chrome pipes but damn they get hot...

·
12,968 Posts
you would think a $300 rain suit would come with Heat Resistant panel.
Even cheap ones come with it

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Heat shields.

Make some heat shields for them and put them on. You can go to a salvage yard and pick some up off a nother bike that might work weather it be HD, Honda or whatever. You can also go down to an autoparts store and pick up chrome if you want tail pipes, split it down the middle and tack weld some tabs to it to hold them in place with hose clamps..... I know may not be as sharp looking, but burns hurt and burning flesh really stinks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The RPW pipes have heat shields on them-- just that they aren't mechanically isolated enough from the pipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts