Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why didn't the people at Victory put a lock on the XC front forks to lock the steering in one position when the bike is parked? After all the development and research that went into this awsome machine, it was pretty stupid of them not to do it. Even a bracket for a separate lock would be better then not having anything at all. Aside from a front disc lock has anyone figured out anything to lock the forks?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It won't matter anyways if someone wants it their going to take it regardless.
just my 2cents

·
Registered
566 Posts
They should've added it regardless. It's one of the few qualms I had about buying the bike.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I agree with you guys. Should've had one. But now that it doesn't, I don't lose any sleep over it. If someone wants my Cross bad enough, they can just jack the ignition and get the bike started, which does defeat the purpose of locked steering. I'm sure a thief would rather ride away with it than push the heavy beast along - can't run with it, that's for sure. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even still, not even an option. I know if a thief wants it they will take it somehow, its more of a piece of mind thing I guess, or an attempt to get me to buy an expensive bike alarm. Either way, it sucks!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
If you're worried about it, maybe a chain or cable lock would provide some piece of mind.

·
Registered
528 Posts
What's wrong with a good disc lock?
They are more efficient than a steering lock anyway.

But, If they want it they will get it.

dd

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
What's wrong with a good disc lock?
They are more efficient than a steering lock anyway.
I guess the only thing wrong with a disk lock is you forgetting it's there. :p With the fork lock, you won't forget, for sure.

The fork lock, however, in my worthless opinion, is the weakest form of anti-theft you can possibly use. A fork lock is usually based on a cylindrical steel member, that is about half an inch long, and has a diameter of less than a quoter inch. You don't have to be a body builder to break it, and believe me, a thief will not be gentle with your bike. If the fork is locked, it takes a one or two tries to snap it. Thieves know this, so the usefulness of the device is to give you piece of mind without the real protection.

·
Registered
528 Posts
For a disc lock you want to spend some $$$ for a good one. They will come with a reminder cord.

I have a couple of them and carry 1 with me.
If you are worried about someone getting your bike you are probably not going to enjoy riding much.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
For a disc lock you want to spend some $$$ for a good one. They will come with a reminder cord.

I have a couple of them and carry 1 with me.
If you are worried about someone getting your bike you are probably not going to enjoy riding much.
True, they do have those bright attachments so you don't forget them on. I have full coverage insurance. If someone wants to steal my bike, please do. I will go get another one, no problem. :D

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I guess the only thing wrong with a disk lock is you forgetting it's there. :p With the fork lock, you won't forget, for sure..
Ever wonder whay there are som many bikers named "Forklock" It is because they take off with the forks locked, and imediatly hit the ground. Done it once myself. Seperate fork locks are nothing short dangerous. If you want real security that will not put you on your ass, you don't have to carry around, and is all but invisible. Go and buy one of these
http://roadlok.com/index_secondary.htm

·
Registered
289 Posts
I guess the only thing wrong with a disk lock is you forgetting it's there. :p With the fork lock, you won't forget, for sure.

The fork lock, however, in my worthless opinion, is the weakest form of anti-theft you can possibly use. A fork lock is usually based on a cylindrical steel member, that is about half an inch long, and has a diameter of less than a quoter inch. You don't have to be a body builder to break it, and believe me, a thief will not be gentle with your bike. If the fork is locked, it takes a one or two tries to snap it. Thieves know this, so the usefulness of the device is to give you piece of mind without the real protection.
kinda the way i look at it...pop a foot on the bars and it's gone... somebody want's it bad enough for jail time they're gonna take it or trash it...just my view of it...now if i can catch-em in the act...that is a different story...

·
Registered
573 Posts
We spend 4+ months a year touring on motorcycles, so have gotten quite used to not worrying too much about theft. I rarely use the fork locks, and never use a disc lock. I do try to be careful where I park, though.

I wouldn't think a Victory would be a very high theft motorcycle. Often, bikes are stolen for parts, Harley for chrome, engines and addons, sport bikes for the fairings and other expensive plastic parts.

I think insurance is the best alternative.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Ever wonder whay there are som many bikers named "Forklock" It is because they take off with the forks locked, and imediatly hit the ground. Done it once myself. Seperate fork locks are nothing short dangerous. If you want real security that will not put you on your ass, you don't have to carry around, and is all but invisible. Go and buy one of these
http://roadlok.com/index_secondary.htm
LOL :ltr: I guess if you're in a big enough hurry, then the fork lock is not any better than a disk lock.

That device you're recommending is cool looking. However, at $325, it might only be worth investing if you live in an area where your bike gets stolen everyday. Even then, the Guard Dawg might be a wiser choice, since some folks like me do not want any more lose keys than they already have. cheers

kinda the way i look at it...pop a foot on the bars and it's gone... somebody want's it bad enough for jail time they're gonna take it or trash it...just my view of it...now if i can catch-em in the act...that is a different story...
I don't think it even needs a kick. The handlebars should provide enough leverage to simply break it with one jolt.

We spend 4+ months a year touring on motorcycles, so have gotten quite used to not worrying too much about theft. I rarely use the fork locks, and never use a disc lock. I do try to be careful where I park, though.

I wouldn't think a Victory would be a very high theft motorcycle. Often, bikes are stolen for parts, Harley for chrome, engines and addons, sport bikes for the fairings and other expensive plastic parts.

I think insurance is the best alternative.
Agreed! Have insurance and if it's meant to be stolen, it's not the end of the world. The last thing I want is to lose sleep over having put enough locks on my bike. I got her to relax and enjoy life a little more, not to stress over it being stolen. Bikes are replaceable - my sanity is not. cheers

·
Registered
528 Posts
If I were to invest on security I would go this route
http://www.throttleworx.com/Guard_Dawg_DGD_KIM_Keyless_Ignition_Sysem_p/tr599391.htm

3 of my bikes has a immobilizer which requires a key fob.

I do carry a disc lock but have only used it a couple of times. If I am uncomfortable where I am parking then I won't park there.

I have good insurance but I don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Park where there are other bikes, park under a light, right beside your hotel room. Most hotels will allow bikes to park at the entrance for security reasons.
I was once told I could not park at the entrance. Came back from eating and there were 4 bikes parked there. I went back in and got my money back and left. I told them I do not like being lied to.

dd

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why didn't the people at Victory put a lock on the XC front forks to lock the steering in one position when the bike is parked? After all the development and research that went into this awsome machine, it was pretty stupid of them not to do it. Even a bracket for a separate lock would be better then not having anything at all. Aside from a front disc lock has anyone figured out anything to lock the forks?
See the lock I bought. It's a Master Lock. Once in place in the provided brackets on the forks ( I have a 2009 Jackpot), you cannot access the locking bolt. It only cost me 20 bucks plus tax. Why see our insurance rates any higher just because nobody wants to even try and prevent thefts? This lock works perfectly. :) See photo attached. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
See the lock I bought. It's a Master Lock. Once in place in the provided brackets on the forks ( I have a 2009 Jackpot), you cannot access the locking bolt. It only cost me 20 bucks plus tax. Why see our insurance rates any higher just because nobody wants to even try and prevent thefts? This lock works perfectly. :) See photo attached. Cheers!

Only problem with that type of lock is that it lets you get going just fast enough to hit the ground real hard WHEN you forget about it, and yes you WILL forget about it. That's why there are so many bikers named "Front Brake" in the world

·
Registered
25 Posts
Only problem with that type of lock is that it lets you get going just fast enough to hit the ground real hard WHEN you forget about it, and yes you WILL forget about it. That's why there are so many bikers named "Front Brake" in the world
Ok, I should have mentioned it's not recommended for forgetful people who have a habit of taking off with their handlebars turned? I personally find it prudent to stand the bike up off the kickstand and straighten the handlebars prior to driving the bike. Good habit to get into eh! Just a thought. thumb up

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Ok, I should have mentioned it's not recommended for forgetful people who have a habit of taking off with their handlebars turned? I personally find it prudent to stand the bike up off the kickstand and straighten the handlebars prior to driving the bike. Good habit to get into eh! Just a thought. thumb up
While that all sounds good from here. Those ""**** Happens" bumper stickers became popular because .......**** happens.

Ride a bike long enough and you will find that all kinds of imprudent crap happens. Most often in the presence of barely dressed hot women, or in front of all your friends

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I never in my life have forgotten something on purpose. :ltr:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts