Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just pulled off my front wheel to do some brake maintenance and inspect the wheel bearing seals and noticed the fender has some rusting on the underside.

I have only 22,000 miles on my 2007 KP and Elite 3 tires up front so I can't image how much damage the fenders would have if I ran sticky radials and had 80,000 miles! This might not be a problem in Arizona but here in the humid East Coast exposed metal will rust!

Why didn't Victory coat the undersides with something to prevent stone damage and rust? This is the only thing I've found on my KP that makes me question the build quality. An oversight I suppose.

I'd like to coat them with something. I'm torn between just using spray on black undercoating for cages, truck rubberized bumper coating or 3M Scotch Guard urethane film. What is best? I'm sure the Scotch Guard would hold up indefinitely but a pain to install.

·
Registered
470 Posts
you'd never get the scotchguard flat and true under a fender, and any creases would hold moisture and dirt making more of a rust problem. i would go with something like rhino liner brush on myself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you'd never get the scotchguard flat and true under a fender, and any creases would hold moisture and dirt making more of a rust problem. i would go with something like rhino liner brush on myself.
I've used Scotch Guard (the thin stuff, I think it's 10mil) on curved headlights and it conforms well to curves if you take your time. I would rather just use a spray on or brush on coating. I will look into the Rhino liner.

EDIT: Rhino liner appears to be a proprietary coating that you can't just go buy off the shelf. The off the shelf bed liners come in large cans in the $50-$100 range. I think I'll just give the 3M coating a try:
http://3mcollision.com/products/coatings/undercoating/3m-underseal-rubberized-undercoating-08883.html
I've used this to rust proof suspension parts on my truck, seems to work well if you prep the surface well.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Now that's a fit/finish item I'd have never thought of. Never heard of that on the harley forum. May be one of those "opportunities" for improvement Polaris/Victory should consider.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that's a fit/finish item I'd have never thought of. Never heard of that on the harley forum. May be one of those "opportunities" for improvement Polaris/Victory should consider.
Or maybe HD has the same issue but since most owners just take the bike to the dealer for tire changes they never see the undersides of their fenders. It would probably take 50 years to rust through unless you live by the ocean but I don't like any rust on my ride!

·
13,185 Posts
If they undercoated the fender it would cut into there profit.
In all the bikes I have worked on in twenty some years I have never seen a fend rust out.
What ever you spray it with I'll bet for the most part it doesn't last.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they undercoated the fender it would cut into there profit.
In all the bikes I have worked on in twenty some years I have never seen a fend rust out.
What ever you spray it with I'll bet for the most part it doesn't last.
Yea I doubt it will rust out but I just can't stand knowing my fenders are rusting. :crzy: Have to try something to stop it.

I'm sure to get them to rust out you would have to ride on salt covered roads in the winter or park by the ocean often.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
new name

Now just think you can just refer to your bike as "Ol Rusty" from now on.:ltr: ---- I know bad joke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Someone brought up a good point about rust and oceans...Since my scoot will be in the Caribbean, what do I need to do differently than, say, someone in Oklahoma? Are there different steps to prevent rust when dealing with salt air/high humidity?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
a large number of metric bikes have composite front fenders and often composite rear fenders as well. I know my Kawi did and my wife's Shadow as well. Rusted fenders is probably an issue found only on higher-end bikes that have metal fenders.

But now I'm wondering if mine are rusty....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is a problem looking for somebody to worry about it.

Motorcycles have been plying coastal roads and running up and down salt covered mountainsides by diehards in the snowbelt for frigging ever. The bikes that are rusted out are not the once riding those roads. The rusted out ones are the ones parked in the barn for umpty dozen years. It's not the steel bits on daily riders that are going to turn to oxidized mush. If you want to lose sleep, worry about the nooks and crannies in the aluminum.

There already is a miracle product that keeps road debris and salt and whatnot from damaging the motorcycle. It's called fenders.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yea I doubt it will rust out but I just can't stand knowing my fenders are rusting. :crzy: Have to try something to stop it.

I'm sure to get them to rust out you would have to ride on salt covered roads in the winter or park by the ocean often.
I noticed a few years ago that the exposed metal inside the wheel well on my 20 year old truck has surface rust after it sits for a while. But when it's driven regularly, no rust. Hmmm, maybe the same dirt slinging off the tires that abraded the paint away is abrading the surface rust away too.

I live in South Al. and I'm not going to worry one bit about this.

Oh to answer your question as to why they didn't undercoat the fenders, cause they know they don't need to.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Someone brought up a good point about rust and oceans...Since my scoot will be in the Caribbean, what do I need to do differently than, say, someone in Oklahoma? Are there different steps to prevent rust when dealing with salt air/high humidity?
All I know is I parked my bike at a beach house (150 yards from the shore) for 5 days and by the end of that time any exposed steel had a fine layer of rust on the surface! :mad:

Salt spray in the air is probably the worst possible harsh environmental condition for motorcycles. If you have to park at the beach, my advice is to rinse the bike off with fresh water daily. Then put it under a breathable bike cover that extends to the ground any time you are not riding it!

·
Registered
269 Posts
All I know is I parked my bike at a beach house (150 yards from the shore) for 5 days and by the end of that time any exposed steel had a fine layer of rust on the surface! :mad:

Salt spray in the air is probably the worst possible harsh environmental condition for motorcycles. If you have to park at the beach, my advice is to rinse the bike off with fresh water daily. Then put it under a breathable bike cover that extends to the ground any time you are not riding it!
You should see what it does to highly polished aluminum..! Spent a couple day on the gulf coast on the VTX everything aluminum was polished .. I had to re-buff the whole bike when I got back home.. Salt is definitely the enemy of metal!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
How about a good spray on sealant/protectant?
Maybe some kind of S100 product or other?
Certainly no real safeguard but better than nothing if it gives some protection with reapplication when washed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about a good spray on sealant/protectant?
Maybe some kind of S100 product or other?
Certainly no real safeguard but better than nothing if it gives some protection with reapplication when washed.
I would think that would certainly help. Even a silicone based product that washes off over time would probably coat the exposed steel enough to prevent the salt from causing corrosion so long as you washed and reapplied often.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are any motorcycle fenders undercoated?
Yes! Mine are...now. I installed a fairing over the winter and took the fairing and front fender to the painter for matching and to look at a couple of rough spots on the edge of the fender. It turned out to be rust under the paint so he had to sandblast the entire fender back to metal then prime and repaint. He also undercoated the fender with some pretty thick **** so it should out last the bike. The rear fender was in the same shape so "in for a penny, in for a pound". Now both fenders are undercoated and the rust is no more. The moral of the story: Painting a fairing can be expensive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I live about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico, on Padre Island, Texas, I have to wash my bike weekly not only because I put 500 miles a week on it but because of all that salty air. WD-40 and a soft scotch pad work great on the little bolts and surface rust on the pipes and such, and keep it at bay for a couple weeks before I have to do it again. Mine stays in the garage when not on the road. I have seen a few bikes down here where the aluminum is corroding pretty bad from lack of care, but most bikes I see look pretty good as long as they are kept clean and ridden regularly. But depending on time and funds, I might look into getting both mine under coated, it can't hurt I suppose?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts