Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened on more than one occasion where cars have intentionally tried to cut me off or wouldn't let me pass. Just this morning I was pulled in front of, went to pass on the right(I work in the industrial park with super wide roads for the trucks) and he swerved back in front of me and flashed his brakes. I had no intention of being a bad guy, just trying to avoid an accident. Sorry for the rant guys, it's just been bothering me.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I think some guys in cars have a "I'm bigger, so what are you going to do about it?" mentality. Sometimes it seems to be the only explanation. That, or mental illness...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I know what you mean , but I find texter's scare the bejesus out of me . People in cages can be annoying , but the people NOT watching the road are much worse ....:mad:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think some guys in cars have a "I'm bigger, so what are you going to do about it?" mentality. Sometimes it seems to be the only explanation. That, or mental illness...
This ^^^^

I've had cagers try to get into my lane when there is no room, turn around and look at me and basically just say: "Eff you, I'm bigger than you. You'll move" and force me off the road or to slam the brakes. Hell sometimes they do it when there is literally only two of us on the road. You can't ever expect the people in other cars to drive like a normal person. Because as we all know it doesn't matter who is in the right or wrong on the road. We will always lose.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
My wife said something to me a few weeks ago that's stuck with me:
You can't worry about the way something is supposed to be, we can only worry about what is.

·
Registered
483 Posts
With all due respect maybe it's our attitude ? calling them cagers ,remember whenever we go somewhere off the motorcycle,in the car , truck [cage]....we are the cager. Maybe because it is illegal to pass on the right without a lane designation ?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Maybe the cager was trying to 'teach him a lesson', which rarely works out as intended.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I would not pass unless there is a marked lane or I'm feeling sucidal.
I've been able to drastically reduce the number of lane incursions by focusing on making sure I remain in the cager's view. For example, if I'm coming up on a car I stay on the side of my lane closest to the car. Well it is a bit more intense than staying on the away side, it keeps you in their mirror much better and out of their blind spot. They seldom come over if you are where you can be seen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should correct myself, my intent was not to pass, just move to the right to avoid braking hard, it was just him and myself on the road as well, with no trees around. I understand where you are all coming from though, and I don't pass on the right, unless it is marked

·
Registered
396 Posts
most of the time i think they are jealous wishing they
had such a cool bike to ride,when most of them
dont have any buisness behind the wheel of a car..:crzy::ltr:

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I'll buy that :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
On a recent trip this past Tue & Wed to the north end of my state..I actually had a car driver say something similar too me..long story.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
There are always dicks on the road.
Too many.
Scientists know that the human brain prioritizes what it sees when driving by threat level and only brings what it considers threats to your attention as you drive. Everything that can kill or injure you your brain snaps to the front of your consciousness and things that can't kill or injure you it sticks in the background making them almost invisible. Your brain realizes on some level that driving is dangerous and your survival is what matters most.

What that means is if you are on a bike. Everything, especially other vehicles on the road you see as a threat. You are very aware of every vehicle, even dogs. Because every vehicle even a dog can kill you. If you are in a car, unless that car is really small, motorcycles, bicycles, etc. are almost invisible to you.
If you are driving a truck or a bus most cars etc are almost invisible to you and motorcycles don't even exist.

If you want to be visible on a bike, the single thing that will have the most effect is to dress like a cop.
That will make you much more visible because our brains have been conditioned to fear motorcycle police. Aside from that almost anything else will not have much effect.

Of course not all cagers hate motorcyclists. Some cagers are motorcyclists.

Then there is the fact that there are some real dicks out there who have zero ability to empathize ( put themselves in your place) and for whatever reason would run you over in a heartbeat if they didn't think they would get caught doing it.

30 years ago I had a friend who I have since lost track of in the Phoenix area. He had a bad habit of carrying a bunch of nuts in his pocket that he would chuck over his shoulder one at a time when people would tailgate him. People would get the hint and back off.
One night just after he married the girl of his dreams, he and her were in the Tempe area coming home on their bike after a party. A lifted 4x4 came up behind him and started tailgating him.
He chucked a couple of nuts over his shoulder and the truck backed off. Several miles down the road he stopped for a light out at an intersection that was out in the desert between Tempe and Phoenix then. His bike had loud pipes but he did hear the truck's 4 barrel kick in just before the guy in the truck ran them over from behind.
They both barely survived but his newly wed wife was left paralyzed from the neck down. The driver was never caught to my knowledge.
Not a pretty story but a true one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
3 thoughts on the subject

A) there is the I don't care, tuff luck attitude of some cagers. I.E. Suv almost hit me head on and when I turned around and caught up with him, he basically told me that's the chance I take on a bike. (At that point I had to remind myself that I'm a professional and can't make it to my 2nd retirement if I'm in jail)
B) some folks seriously don't know you are there or can't judge the distance between your bike and there 4 wheel creation.
C) folks don't have a respect for motorcyclist because of the way some of us ride our bikes: back and forth between cars, passing in unsafe situations, standing up and riding, excellerating with loud pipes for no reason other than to hear the roar and pulling out in front of cars. All of which I've observed first hand while I've been driving my car.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yeah, I think for the most part "hate" is a strong word. The cagers would have to put their damn cell phones down long enough for them to realize we're there before they could use the energy to hate us. I don't disagree there are some drivers who intentionally treat motorcyclists poorly in traffic, but I think most people that drive badly and are inconsiderate in traffic don't care what you drive. They don't care about anything besides where they're going, what they're doing, and what's on Facebook. THEY are most important, and every other vehicle and driver is just an obstacle.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Is this not a threat? LOL
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=92394&highlight=killer+fog

Seriously, I don't turn them on when there is oncoming traffic.
A 50 caliber mounted on the front would be more effective.

But seriously are those lights still holding up well? I saw your thread and really like them. Just what you need in deer country!
Are they too bright to run during daylight? 3 point lights on the front help the brain properly judge the speed of a approaching vehicle,
which is trains have run them forever.

They found out some years ago that lights on during daylight in a car only make it impossible for approaching drivers to accurately judge the speed of the vehicle. For some reason 3 lights must change the equation.
Some European riders have commented that laws making motorcycles run headlights on in daylight is proof that the government really wants us all dead. I doubt it.
Maybe they figure that seeing us at all makes up for not being able to judge the speed of something that we would not have normally noticed.
But with cars headlights off during the day, unless visibility is poor is a better option where allowed.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
This old guy has seen, since the mid 60s, a society become more egocentric and aggressive. A bad combination that results in the subject of this thread. I won't get into the causations (that would get political) but we ain't the kind and gentle country we used to be.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
This old guy has seen, since the mid 60s, a society become more egocentric and aggressive. A bad combination that results in the subject of this thread. I won't get into the causations (that would get political) but we ain't the kind and gentle country we used to be.
You don't need to be an old guy to have seen the decline, Ric. In the (you're gonna laugh) 17 years I've been a driver, it seems to have gotten a lot worse.

I'll make a great crotchety old guy some day. If I live long enough :ltr:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I read this book a few years ago.
Then bought a copy for both kids.
It's killer on how to survive being a motorcyclist and get old.
Got great tips in it. The guy who wrote it about invented the motorcycle safety course curriculum and has ridden over 600,000 miles with just a couple of minor accidents. He has another called More proficient motorcycling which builds nicely on the first one.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1933958359[/ame]

Libraries usually have one on hand for loan. That is where I got my first copy. Should take it back someday:ltr:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts