Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does every Harley owner think Polaris is owned by Honda? I can't seem to get away from this topic and it's starting to make me angry. I can't find any relation between Honda and Polaris, but I don't want to make an ass out of myself arguing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
90% of Harley riders think that Harley and Honda are the only two bike manufacturers of motorcycles. They spend so much time between fixing their bike, picking up their parts off side of the road, and looking for other Harley riders to ride with so that they are not stranded too long on side of the road, to even notice that there's life after Harley.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why does every Harley owner think Polaris is owned by Honda? I can't seem to get away from this topic and it's starting to make me angry. I can't find any relation between Honda and Polaris, but I don't want to make an ass out of myself arguing.
this is the first time i am hearing of it honestly but we have a victory/royal enfield dealer, a victory/triumph dealer, and 2 mall style places that have over 10 brands each that include victory

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
On my Search for an Alternative to 40 years of HD with primarily Victory in mind. Did go to a few Powersports places whose Principal Make was Honda. One was so bad about pushing the FSB6 at me just left after telling him twice I was there to check out Victory Models.. Ended up buying at my closest Dealer which is Polaris based. Although while on this topic also checked out another Dealer close that has a BMW/Victory Franchise..

·
Registered
511 Posts
They don't, it is just their way of trying to make themselves feel better for buying their over priced Harleys.

My local Harley dealer marks up every Harley on their sales floor from $2,000 to $8,000 over and above the manufacture suggested retail price.

The Harley dealer I am talking about is owned by Scott Fischer. He owns I think it is six Harley dealers from Florida to Arizona to I think North Carolina.

This is a man who has no problem bending you over and sticking it to you. Just how bad is he? You can order items on the Harley Davidson web site for less money than you can buy the same product from one of his Harley dealerships. I am not talking about tax vs no tax, I am talking about if the Harley catalogue says such and such costs 68.99 he will turn around and charge you 70.99. Two dollars here and two dollars there adds up over the course of a year.

The following is from an older article about Scott Fischer and his dealers but the very end tells the whole story on how he does business:

The Harley-Davidson of Fort Myers store earned $2,934,792 in gross profits from January to June, compared to $2,632,062 for the same period a year ago , according to the newspaper. The Naples location also grew gross profits 7 percent, taking in $1,579,647 from January to June, compared to $1,471,150 for the same period a year ago.

Although profits are on the rise, gross revenue has either remained steady or dropped.

The Fort Myers dealership saw sales rise 2 percent to about $10 million for the first half of the year, compared to about $9.8 million for the same period a year ago.

The Naples dealership saw gross revenue drop 13 percent to about $5.5 million from January to June, compared to $6.3 million the year before.

"With revenues down, we have had to put a bigger focus on margins," said COO Glo Cuiffi says.

How is that for a dealer?

Any discounts they give are meaningless as you will still be paying over MSRP in one of his stores.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Common sense is not common at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some people crack me up. You talk crap about harley people talking crap about victory people. But it's ok cause you ride a victory. But god forbid anybody that says crap about victory are a bunch of stupid a holes . Get over it. HD and victory are just a dam bike like all the rest

As for bikes and parts sold at dealers, don't they all jack up the price? Never seen a dealer sale a bike or auto at MSRP there out to make money just like any business .

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The reason is they just plain don't know any better. Yes there are many Harley riders that have had exposure to the other brands are very well informed and genuinely like the bike. Good for them. I've met a few who build their Harley's and I could talk to those guys for hours. They are a minority and that's not what this is about.

In my area of riding, most of the Harley riders I have talked to, long time riders and the quickly growing number of mid-lifers with $$$ who are looking for a wild side, are singularly focused on the brand name. (must be the clothing) So much so they did little if any research into the competition from which to make an intelligent decision. Lots of people I have met who purchased a motorcycle that was new or relatively new and in the mid to large cruiser size did their homework, could list the competitions models, the pro's and con's of each and why they made the decision they did. Whenever I have encountered someone who didn't have a clue they invariably replied with "cuz it's a harley". Almost none even know about the many other options out there. It seems the only other bike they have even heard about is the Goldwing. That's it. Harley or Honda. They can't explain their reasons for their choice nor respond intelligently to the alternatives. All you can do is smile, and walk away.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Oh for crying out loud! It's just a Harley inside joke! They know DAMM well where Victory is made and who the HELL owns them! Just play along and let them know that Korea is now a major stock holder in HD.:cool:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
:ltr: I know that (some) HD owners are a few bricks short of a full load but you would think that they would eventually figure it out.

But seriously, it is THIS...
..invariably replied with "cuz it's a harley". All you can do is smile, and walk away.
Yep, a very good friend of mine decided he wanted a bike and he looks up to me a respects my opinion. We went over all the bikes, Triumph, BMW, Victory, Harley, Yamaha, etc and why he might choose one over the other. Lots of detail & visited lots of storefronts but in the end the ONLY thing he was interested in even LOOKING at were Harley's. Heck, I even took him to one of the Victory rides and it was like pulling teeth just to get him ON one of the bikes. In the end, he said he wanted a Harley ...yep, cuz it's a HARLEY!

The guy is a nice guy but caves to peer pressure and honestly, he would not have been able to have defended his choice for anything BUT a Harley to other people (fellow Masons, guys @ Church, client's of his, etc). In the end, he just wanted to be able to say that He rides a Harley. It really did not matter to him ANY of the other details...as long as it was a Harley. Some live for what others think while others think for themselves. Victory owners are the later

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Oh for crying out loud! It's just a Harley inside joke! They know DAMM well where Victory is made and who the HELL owns them! Just play along and let them know that Korea is now a major stock holder in HD.:cool:
I like the way you think. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
90% of Harley riders think that Harley and Honda are the only two bike manufacturers of motorcycles. They spend so much time between fixing their bike, picking up their parts off side of the road, and looking for other Harley riders to ride with so that they are not stranded too long on side of the road, to even notice that there's life after Harley.
90% really. Your reply does live up to your Victory screen name. You should be picking up all these part and sell them on eBay. Sure, there is life after Harley. Not everyone goes that way. Next time you are on the road, take some pictures of all these stranded bikes. Enjoy your ride and be careful of all those parts strewn all over the road.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I guess some people don't get humor. After owning 2 Harley's, I have heard all of the jokes.

I had no idea that this was suppose to be the most serious thread ever started here on the victory forum

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 33 Posts