Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not plowing old ground but I have a question.

I bought a new 2016 XCT this past Spring and ride it a lot. Coming up on 8000 miles already. Folks tell me that I really should put a Fuel Controller on it and some recommend the Power Commander V. I have Witch Doctors slip on mufflers and a Lloydz timing gear set at +4 degrees.

I'm satisfied with the performance as It's set up now. Exactly why do I need to spend several more $100s for a fuel controller and air filter?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,287 Posts
You don't if you're happy with the way it runs and it isn't getting too hot when riding in hot temps.

You're leaving power and possibly an even better running engine on the table without a tuner though. Remember; the company has to tune it to EPA standards which basically detunes the engine.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
Hi Dwayne, long time no....
This comes under the heading, Well enough should never be left alone. If you are really happy with what you got, keep your money in your pocket. But if your are close to Portland and decide to go with a dyno tune, there is a shop in my neighborhood I can turn you on to. They will install a PCV and do a dyno run for $500+.
However, there are other routes to go. Much cheaper and more effective than a dyno some say, is going with a Dobeck tuner, such as Lloydz VFCIII and adjusting it with the aid of an air/fuel ratio gauge, which I happen to have and will be doing mine shortly. Stand by for a report in the near future. Once I have mine set, I'll no longer need it and will pass it along. Next, its going to Bremerton, WA and I can have him send it to you after he's done with it.

·
Premium Member
13,287 Posts
Ric, do you have the upgraded cams in your bike, if not then the Dobeck style tuner should be just fine. It's only with the cams really that the PC-V is highly recommended.

There's another one talked about here that's kinda new that I don't know much about. Can't even remember what it's called but they send you the tuner and a computer to log the results then someone connects to it via the Internet to tune the bike. It sounds like an alternative to both style tuners.

Edit: http://www.dynoguysmn.com/tuners/35t2zux8rrlsejxomnhuz5atkr2wb7

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Hi Dwayne, long time no....
This comes under the heading, Well enough should never be left alone. If you are really happy with what you got, keep your money in your pocket. But if your are close to Portland and decide to go with a dyno tune, there is a shop in my neighborhood I can turn you on to. They will install a PCV and do a dyno run for $500+.
However, there are other routes to go. Much cheaper and more effective than a dyno some say, is going with a Dobeck tuner, such as Lloydz VFCIII and adjusting it with the aid of an air/fuel ratio gauge, which I happen to have and will be doing mine shortly. Stand by for a report in the near future. Once I have mine set, I'll no longer need it and will pass it along. Next, its going to Bremerton, WA and I can have him send it to you after he's done with it.
G=3 everything else off.

Bet cha' that's what you come up with OEM Vic tuning is VERY rich under acceleration and wide open throttle and lean under cruise.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
Stock cams and I want to avoid the 'puter.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
The less you do to you scooter. The less problems you will have.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
If youre happy then leave it be.

I was quite happy with my Vegas too, then I bought a Ness intake filter and the rest is history.
I dont regret it one bit though.

·
Registered
893 Posts
NAB, if the bike had been tuned to the best possible solution the Engineers could have arrived at, without the input of the EPA, or the Governors of the corn producing states, I would agree with you. In this case however there are improvements to be made that can result in a better product.

Yes, for most of us the bike is more than adequate and none have to make any changes. Only when you push the limits do you stress the machine and increase your chance of breaking it. Those that do certainly aren't wrong, they just have more expendable $$$ than the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I've had mine for 5 years now and haven't done any engine mods except replace the exhaust and I have been happy with it. This is out of character for me because I modified my last bike and my current and last two trucks. I had planned on putting in a PCV, air filter, timing wheel and a dyno this summer at the Vic Rally in GA but changed my mind and cancelled my appt. Figured why mess with a good thing.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Why fuel controller?
Because it allows you to have the bike tuned for optimum performance, fuel economy, and drivability. It will cure any bad manners, popping on deceleration, throttle tip-in abruptness, or surging at steady speeds.

This is an Indian Chieftain that is 100% stock. A PC-V was installed and the bike was tuned. The owner reported better drivability overall and improved fuel economy (not to mention an increase in acceleration). Gained almost 9 HP and 5-1/2 ft-lbs. Gains were across the board, all the way across the tach. Most of the gains were due to adding timing advance and by leaning the mixture... it was rich at full throttle before.

There's nothing like a well tuned machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will have to try this. I forget what settings I have, Rylan's suggestions. found them. they are 1.5/3/1/0/2.5/5. There is a dyno guy in town that will do a run for $30 and give me air/fuel ratio but I have not had a chance to do it. I did notice mine bog down on acceleration 2up. I have red your threads when using the air/fuel gauge. Interesting stuff.

Do you think the 3 green and everything else off would work well for my setup of 14CCT stage 1 map, Lloydz air filter, 4 Degree timing wheel, tri-ovals and tank lift?

G=3 everything else off.

Bet cha' that's what you come up with OEM Vic tuning is VERY rich under acceleration and wide open throttle and lean under cruise.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
I will have to try this. I forget what settings I have, Rylan's suggestions. found them. they are 1.5/3/1/0/2.5/5. There is a dyno guy in town that will do a run for $30 and give me air/fuel ratio but I have not had a chance to do it. I did notice mine bog down on acceleration 2up. I have red your threads when using the air/fuel gauge. Interesting stuff.

Do you think the 3 green and everything else off would work well for my setup of 14CCT stage 1 map, Lloydz air filter, 4 Degree timing wheel, tri-ovals and tank lift?
We have about the same set up and mine runs great.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
So I adjust my settings to 3/1/1/0/3/5. That made a big difference! no more popping on gear changes and pulls harder on acceleration.
Now your not pig rich under accleration and wide open throttle. Glad it worked for you.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Crap

Because it allows you to have the bike tuned for optimum performance, fuel economy, and drivability. It will cure any bad manners, popping on deceleration, throttle tip-in abruptness, or surging at steady speeds.

This is an Indian Chieftain that is 100% stock. A PC-V was installed and the bike was tuned. The owner reported better drivability overall and improved fuel economy (not to mention an increase in acceleration). Gained almost 9 HP and 5-1/2 ft-lbs. Gains were across the board, all the way across the tach. Most of the gains were due to adding timing advance and by leaning the mixture... it was rich at full throttle before.

There's nothing like a well tuned machine.
As I said, Well Crap! Now you guys have done and made me want to install one along with a air filter. There goes another $500. Well that's it! No more! OK? Cause every time I spend a dime on the bike the wife has to do the same on something she likes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts