Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take off the transmission cover and find the monkey with the ballpein hammer! Are victory transmission that much nosier than a Hardely? Any thing can be done? Good lawd.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Mine got better after the first service at 500 miles. It got better again when I had a need to change the oil (don't ask) about a hundred miles later and I switched over to Amsoil. It seems to soften up over time and now with 1600 on the bike it's not near as bad as it was in the beginning.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I want to take off the transmission cover and find the monkey with the ballpein hammer! Are victory transmission that much nosier than a Hardely? Any thing can be done? Good lawd.
Hardly motorcycles have had their share of noise issues with their trans... they however can be quieted down considerably by using gear lube... a choice that the Victories do not have.

Victory trans are especially noisy when they are being shifted at to low rpm's... they are designed to be shifted and run at higher rpm's... try it out. They can't be lugged out at low rpm's... the monkey gets angry.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine has over 5k on it, and it's the same as when I got it. Just changed the oil and it does shift a little better.

That being said, I rode a 2011 Electra Glide with similar mileage two weekends ago, and that thing shifted 100 time better than my CR.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't know which oil works the creamiest in the Vic., But I would think a good 20W50 semi-synthetic or a conventional oil would provide the most cushion. I however tried royal purple in mine after the 500 mi break-in and shifting has improved quit a bit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Run it up around 3500 and then shift. Its a huge difference if your short shifting and lugging it they are really noisey. 1st to 2nd on mine is fine when i shift below 3500 but after that its much smoother in the 3000-3500 range. Also im running amsoil and seems to help alot. Also make sure your clutch is adjusted right and has the freeplay it needs or once it heats up the cable can be tight enough to cause rough shifting as well.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Sort of like the trans from the muscle cars. I had a 67 Camaro SS with a Rock Crusher trans in it. Now that was a noise maker. Shift it like it was meant to be ridden and no worries.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am running amsoil and I agree with the higher RPM shifting. It is very quiet once you get going. But low speed you get a nice audible "Clack". I engauge at a red light and look around to see if anyone is looking at me.:ltr:
I just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
They are looking at you wishing they had your bike:)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am running amsoil and I agree with the higher RPM shifting. It is very quiet once you get going. But low speed you get a nice audible "Clack". I engauge at a red light and look around to see if anyone is looking at me.:ltr:
I just have to get used to it.
If you are talking about firs gear ingagement hardleys are much louder. Couple of friends of mine took their bike in for the noise and the service said its normal and another friend of mine with a 2011 wide glide can not find his neutral. He's been to the service a million times and they can't fix it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you are talking about firs gear ingagement hardleys are much louder. Couple of friends of mine took their bike in for the noise and the service said its normal and another friend of mine with a 2011 wide glide can not find his neutral. He's been to the service a million times and they can't fix it.
Harleys tend to be louder putting it in gear initially due to them being chain driven in the primary. The looser the chain is the more you hear it thump into gear. Also if its hard to find neutral then its a got time to check your clutch adjustment and make sure its not dragging. A clutch that drags will hold a load on the tranny making it hard to get to neutral. They tend to want to jump back and forth from 1st to 2nd when trying. If the clutch is dragging you can try being in 1st gear and blip the throttle alittle while tring to find neutral all at the same time and usually the extra rpms will unload the tranny enough to make it shift easier letting you find neutral. Also blipping the throttle alittle bit while down shifting will make less noise due to the extra rpm and letting the cogs in the tranny not thunk together so hard. Vic tranny are alittle noisey but not enough that its abnormal and i will take the little noise they have for the reliability they give any day.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Thats bad ass spur/helical gear drive character..I know a guy who takes his vegas with some other guys to the drag strip and runs them he said you cant tear them up...you will find the sweet spot and live therecheers

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
In addition to shifting at higher RPMs, preload the shift lever. That will give you smoother and quieter shifts. That's been working for me for decades.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In addition to shifting at higher RPMs, preload the shift lever. That will give you smoother and quieter shifts. That's been working for me for decades.
When you say "preload the shifter" do you mean not engaging in fully?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If it's first your speaking of, that solid clunk, your looking at this all wrong bro! That is the sound of the HORSE breaking at the gate to run the race. Nothing to be ashamed of... I hit first with a solid thunk, smile, and let'er rip!

Well unless I am coming home from work making the turn into my court.. The neighbors are still smiling but they know when I crack it.. lol..

I'm the same way with regards to the higher RPMS, good for my 04 as well, 3k ish...

Hope this puts you at ease! Also, if you ride over 500 miles a week it's quiter too.. :D

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
Perfectly normal for these big transmissions to clunk into gear solidly from neutral. After that; it starts getting quieter the higher in gears you go.

If it really bothers you; you can just stay in first with the clutch pulled in at lights.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
When you say "preload the shifter" do you mean not engaging in fully?
Sheesh! Doesn't anyone read the articles in MC magazines about handling and operation? Preloading is simply lifting your toe against the shift lever, but not hard enough to pop it into the next gear. When you pull in the clutch, the lever slips easily into the next gear, up or down. Subscribe to Rider, Motorcycle Consumer News and/or Motorcyclist and read those articles as they come up. Every time I post about preloading, I get HUH? :soapbox:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I must be weird, but I like the noise! Doesn't bother me a bit.

:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts