Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I did a search but for whatever reason I'm still not clear as to why this is happening. First off I have a 2014 XC with the Stage 1 kit with aftermarket air filter, O2's disconnected, seal removed around air box and the Lloyds timing wheel set at +6 degrees. I have also pulled the plugs and they look fine, if anything a little on the lean side. The bike runs great with no misses and am averaging around 42 - 47 mpg. The bike backfires when upshifting and every so often downshifting as well. Not a whole lot and seems to do it less after I have been riding for a while.

Anyway is this something I need to worry about or just the nature of the beast thing?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
There are several possible causes.
1) Exhaust leaks at the header connections. Make sure the headers are tight at the heads. Whenever the exhaust comes off, use NEW crush gaskets at the header connections.
2) Vacuum leak on the intake side.
3) Poor tuning.

With what you currently have, there is no way to tune it. If you had a fuel controller you could tune it out.

Normal? For your set-up, sadly, it might be. I certainly wouldn't put up with it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yes you need to worry about it because your bike runs like ****. Does your stage 1 kit include exhaust? What after market filter are you using?

Plug your O2's back in and ride it for a while. The change will not be immediate but within an hour the bike should calm down.
Un plugging O2's on my bike when stock gave me the same issues. Plugging back in and it was better. I was set up like you with a set of D&D slip-on's.

Do the checks that HC suggested. What he mentioned would indeed could cause backfiring. Don't touch the timing wheel. if you are not pinging then you are good there.

Now for the no bullshit suggestion:
Get a PCV and get it DYNO tuned.....You are not nor will you be correct (tuned) until you do. You are making performance upgrades to your bike. you are not done yet. Good luck!cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I agree , PCV and dyno tune .

·
13,177 Posts
First off Vic has a horse **** ECM its part of the reason for the back fire. Second the IAV is just as bad.
It takes a little bit of practice try not closing the throttle all the way when shifting. Like a milled speed shifting once you get the hang of it you'll all most never have a backfire.
PCV or VFC111 will pretty much take away all back firing but you'll still have some.

Like he said tighten the flange bolts go take a ride come back and retighten the bolts. It might take three times to get them tight. Another one of Vic bad ideas

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you need to worry about it because your bike runs like ****. Bike seems to run great, I don't know where you got that from. Pulls strong off the line and stays strong throughout with no missed.
Does your stage 1 kit include exhaust? Yes it included exhaust.
What after market filter are you using? K & N

Plug your O2's back in and ride it for a while. The change will not be immediate but within an hour the bike should calm down.
Un plugging O2's on my bike when stock gave me the same issues. Plugging back in and it was better. I was set up like you with a set of D&D slip-on's. I will try that.

Do the checks that HC suggested. What he mentioned would indeed could cause backfiring. Don't touch the timing wheel. if you are not pinging then you are good there.

Now for the no bullshit suggestion:
Get a PCV and get it DYNO tuned.....You are not nor will you be correct (tuned) until you do. You are making performance upgrades to your bike. you are not done yet. Good luck!cheers
Thanks for the input and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i agree, plug the O2s back in and see what it does, i had the same trouble when i unplugged mine

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Mine is set up similar , stage one with Lloyds timing wheel at 4 and his air filter, all was going good till I replaced the stage one mufflers with the Tri Ovals and then I started getting a pop between shifts and a good pop / backfire on cold start ups. Since unplugging the 02 sensors a long time ago the front plug decided to play hide and seek and disappeared down behind the battery and I could not get to it unless I removed the battery .

Well last weekend I replaced my battery while doing my 40,000 check up and found the 02 wire, hooked both back up and as mentioned it did not fix it right away but about a hour into our ride I noticed no more popping, I also think my mileage went back up just a smidgen.

·
13,177 Posts
So the trade off is plugging in the 02's gives you less popping but leans out your motor. Or leave them un plugged

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
So the trade off is plugging in the 02's gives you less popping but leans out your motor. Or leave them un plugged
Well one thing I noticed after our ride on Sunday (250 miles ) was alot less black soot on the exhaust tips, maybe it was a tad to rich. Will keep a eye on it and check the plugs after another ride.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Yeah... it's hard to beat shot-in-the-dark tuning for the best in drivability, manners, fuel economy and performance...

not.[/B

Your right, I was just giving my latest finds as this topic came up. All in all my bike runs pretty good either way, I just need to stop tinkering with it.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
This is why I have not messed with this bike yet which is a hard thing for me to do because I have always messed with every vehicle I have ever had. Hell, I am having my new Silverado tuned next month. I sometimes wish I had more power but then I hit the twistys around here with the better half and saddlebags full of crap we don't need to bring and realize how great my bike is stock. It could be better but it is not that much of a dog in her stock form. Not living near a reputable tuner and hearing about alot of the problems people have with these X bikes when tuning themselves has left me on the fence.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After reading all of the above I am going to hook up the O2 sensors again and see how that goes. But ultimately I would like to know that my bike is running at it's finest. So with that being said does anyone know if there is a reputable person in the Houston area that I could take the bike to?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I don't care how good the tune is in a 08, and up Vic. It will still pop. When you shut down the throttle between 2200-2800. The injectors shut completely off, and the IAC goes wide open. This creates a super lean mixture designed to keep the converters cleaned up. An unfortunate side effect is that it also heats the piss out of the exhaust side. As soon as it gets a shot of fuel. It spontaneously ignites. You can minimize it by adding fuel to the 0% throttle, and changing your shift habits, but you will never eliminate it. The louder the pipe....the louder the pop

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't care how good the tune is in a 08, and up Vic. It will still pop. When you shut down the throttle between 2200-2800. The injectors shut completely off, and the IAC goes wide open. This creates a super lean mixture designed to keep the converters cleaned up. An unfortunate side effect is that it also heats the piss out of the exhaust side. As soon as it gets a shot of fuel. It spontaneously ignites. You can minimize it by adding fuel to the 0% throttle, and changing your shift habits, but you will never eliminate it. The louder the pipe....the louder the pop
EXACTLY! I went through 3 tuners promising to get rid of it, even Lloyd's guy in Daytona. Nope. Finally went back to closest download for PC5 I could find, hooked up my notebook and stuck it in the rear box. While riding for 1 month I would add or subtract fuel from the PC5 where I had issues, noting throttle position and rpm, and finally adjusting zero as well.

Got ride of 90% and the loud backfires, then also learned shift higher (above 2800), shift quicker and never left throttle blip back to zero.

Now only time I pop is riding with Harleys because they like to shift low and I get lazy and bored...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
After reading all of the above I am going to hook up the O2 sensors again and see how that goes. But ultimately I would like to know that my bike is running at it's finest. So with that being said does anyone know if there is a reputable person in the Houston area that I could take the bike to?
Spark...... Kyle (KMC) will be in Florida (Daytona Bike Week) if you feel like making that trip. He could set you up with a PC5 and a tune and your off.
you could also make the trip to Kevin X Southern Motor Worx if you want to get it done sooner.

Sorry... I only know of these 2 Vic Guru's being in florida. still would be worth the trip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts