Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone has ever thought of or has done a wide tire on the front of a XC and how it may look?

·
13,188 Posts
beside tire you would need a fender to. There was a vision guy here that put a 180 on the front. Never heard and more from him.
How wide you want to go and what do you think you'll gain from it.
Hope not looks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just purchased a 2013 XC and just getting ideas of what I can do to make it my own (Getting my to do list together). As far as looks I think the 23" set up looks the best on the XC. The 26" kit just makes the neck seem long and leaves too much space between the tank and fairing. I'm sure with a wider front tire it would give the XC a different look but as far as what I look to gain from it if I went this route is I think it would handle the PA potholes a lot better than a 23" or 26" wheel. As far as how wide not sure yet. It was just an idea for something different.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
One thing you would "gain" is slower steering and that is not a good thing in my book. You must have a lot of disposable income and I envy that. Vics are so uniquely styled and gather a lot of compliments, so I fail to see the need for cosmetic changes that negatively affect handling, comfort or practicality....but that's just me. Whatever you do, be sure to post photos.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How wide we talking about. Something like this?
LoL ...No nothing that big. Was thinking whatever widest you could possibly put on the stock 18 or 16.
Most likey I'll go the 23" route as I really like the look of it. I was just trying to think outside the box. I'm already used to the fat back tire on bikes as my primary 2 wheel ride has an Avon Cobra 250 on it. I've seen a couple Harley baggers with wider fronts like 150-180

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poke all the fun ya want I've seen some nice rides here that look good and still look as if they would be a comfortable ride on days I want to take a bagger out. Like Dustin's and SickXC's bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I didn't already have a 23" on mine, I would of already done a fatter front tire. I did this to my last bike, a Road Glide. I went with a 160, because its as wide as you could go with the stock rim safely. And wider of tire, and the rim needs to be wider. The front fender I widened out 1" in total. I ran an aftermarket fender, so I that's why I widened mine.. guys that followed my lead with stock fenders,. didn't have to do anything. I could of went to a 180, but it was getting real close to needing wider triple trees at that point.
As for making the steering feel slower,.. no way. I ran the 160 up front, and a 195 car tire on back and I had more control over that bike at any speed then any other Harley Ive ever rode. I say Harley, because they handle like a school bus compared to my XC.

I haven't looked at my vic to see what it would take, and how much room is there. The distance between your forks will be your limiting factor. Keep in mind a fender will be between them and your tire. You can get custom from wheels made to how wide you want,.. but when I considered bumping up to a 180 or 200 on my Harley all I was going to do was lace up a front hub to a rear wheel (Ride Wright wheels was the only company I could find that understood what I was wanting and was willing to do it... others either said it wasn't possible) Also keep in mind,.. when running a rear tire on the front, you need to reverse the tire so the pattern is in reverse. So as wide as you can go stock is probably 160, but with a Vic stock fender you will have to widen it.

Here is my Road Glide with the 160 on front.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I didn't already have a 23" on mine, I would of already done a fatter front tire. I did this to my last bike, a Road Glide. I went with a 160, because its as wide as you could go with the stock rim safely. And wider of tire, and the rim needs to be wider. The front fender I widened out 1" in total. I ran an aftermarket fender, so I that's why I widened mine.. guys that followed my lead with stock fenders,. didn't have to do anything. I could of went to a 180, but it was getting real close to needing wider triple trees at that point.
As for making the steering feel slower,.. no way. I ran the 160 up front, and a 195 car tire on back and I had more control over that bike at any speed then any other Harley Ive ever rode. I say Harley, because they handle like a school bus compared to my XC.

I haven't looked at my vic to see what it would take, and how much room is there. The distance between your forks will be your limiting factor. Keep in mind a fender will be between them and your tire. You can get custom from wheels made to how wide you want,.. but when I considered bumping up to a 180 or 200 on my Harley all I was going to do was lace up a front hub to a rear wheel (Ride Wright wheels was the only company I could find that understood what I was wanting and was willing to do it... others either said it wasn't possible) Also keep in mind,.. when running a rear tire on the front, you need to reverse the tire so the pattern is in reverse. So as wide as you can go stock is probably 160, but with a Vic stock fender you will have to widen it.

Here is my Road Glide with the 160 on front.
Thanks Chainsaw for your feedback on your experience with a wider front tire

·
Registered
145 Posts
I layed in bed envisioning a fat front tire Vic last night,....... damnit I may have to talk the wife into letting me use the tax money to buy another XC to do it :crzy:
I picture kinda what I did with my Road Glide,.. but more Mad Max. I think it would be a killer looking bike. One of these days when I get some time,.. I'll do some measuring and maybe even some photoshopping to see what one would look like. Fatties on air ride, slammed when its parked would look like a meat wagon sitting there all beefy thumb up

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Air ride would be a must. Have it on my other bike. Once I pick up the bike I'm going to be do some measuring myself. If ya photoshop one let me see!?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Also keep in mind,.. when running a rear tire on the front, you need to reverse the tire so the pattern is in reverse.
curious as to why?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I know this is old but anyone ever follow through on this? I wanted to put a 180 on my Hammer but the forks wouldn't accommodate it.

I'm tossing the idea of a 23" front or a 180 on my Magnum

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The new trend coming out of the western dessert is a 130/70/21 mounted on a 3.5" wheel. Gives the same height as a 23 to fill in the front, but it adds a real beefy look. Trying to put together the parts to do it Tom my XC

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Your the man Kevin that sounds great.
So are you going to finally rake the bike now? Also what's the plan for a fender will the normal 23" fenders fit?
And is this a front tire or a rear tire? I did a quick internet search and didn't see many options for tires.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
And did you mean 140/70r20

1 - 20 of 22 Posts