Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have pretty much no hope of getting my bike dynoed locally, and even then the one place I found say they dont want to get involved as they not familiar with my fuel controller, well its about the simplest thing you can get LOL

so.. Im thinking safest way to go forward is wideband setup, not that expensive for gauge and sensor on ebay

in fact its cheaper than going for a dyno run,

my theory is install the sensor in the rear pipe as the rear pot is the one you want to be running properly as its going to get hotter?

its al going to be very much of a learning curve but I just want to make sure Im not running lean anywhere and I like to learn new things

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if I dont blow it up or kill meself.. I sure will :)

looks like an AFR setup here is in region of £200

well its £150 for dyno time, plus time and money getting there,

then at least I got the kit to play with future bikes

what Im needing to learn first is about positioning of the sensor and target AFR ratios

I only have a lloydz, not a fancy controller so while its easy to program its also a bit limiting, the bike so far from stock its never going to work like other Vics, but want it at its best.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Do you have o2 sensors now? Forget how much of the factory harness you had at the start.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. They weren't wired in or fitted when bike was built as the lloydz said to unplug them anyway.

Plan is to weld the bung into the top of the rear pipe. About 24" from exhaust port.

Going to make up a mount to the bars and fit gauge.

All a temporary setup. Then once happy with fuelling I will remove it.

I believe the vfc3 will display what fuelling circuit is in use? While riding.

So plan to put that out on view too might be useful to identify which circuit to adjust etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

New toy arrived.

Need to order new exhaust gaskets then get pipe off to tig weld threaded boss in.

Let's see what my 1 off intake has done to fuelling.

My worry is its going to be rich.

Then I'm screwed as cant get rid of fuel lol

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Keep us informed, I'm interested in seeing how this works out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.
Its all installed and cable tied up for road testing.

Fired it up and let it warm up.

Oh crap. Boy am I glad I got this setup.

I set lloydz vfc3 green to 2.5 as a guess.

Bike idles down at about 800rpm so afr was a bit jumpy.
Decided I would hold the throttle partly to up the revs.

At 1100rpm.. lean as hell.

I guess my free flowing intake and pipes are a bit too free flowing.

Will experiment with a plate in the intake to restrict air a bit. And try baffle the pipes bit more.

Also going to swap the iac as I think the one on there is bit iffy.
Seems to lose its setup every time I turn motor off.

Vfc3 now is green 8 lol. Or whatever max is.
That's still a touch lean at 1100rpm but touch throttle and its soon back into the green

Need to experiment out on the road and see just what kind of effect it has.

And how long the setting changes take to actually make a difference x x x

·
Registered
5 Posts
what fuel controler are you using.....I use dyno jets on both my vics and my Indian....those guys are great....they are localed in Las Vegas on Mendenhall st....calll and talk to Chuck....he might have an a suggestion based on the pipes and air box....I am guessing lloydz you are using may has an uploadable flash

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lloydz VFC3, Im in the UK and to add to that problem, my intake and pipes are one offs, hence my decision to add the wideband

Im going to restrict the intake a bit and see if I can get the AFR correct using lower setting on the VFC3 I dont like having setting maxed out as it leaves nowhere to go

fast idle/slow running Im at around 14.8 AFR with vfc3 green setting on max 8?

dont get much testing time as its so damn wet here, but hoping for some dry weather over the weekend, will get out on the local main road and do some testing

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The computer runs rich until bike is at operating temperature. Don't adjust things until you get the motor hot. If it's lean starting up you definitely need to restrict something or get a different fuel controller option.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I managed to get a dry sunny day on Saturday, and again some yesterday, so I did some tweaking

having the AFR is a huge tuning tool, you would never beleive the difference that small tweaks make

so... as per my previous post, I was running my own full 1 off intake etc, with large cone filter, very free flowing, then 2" stainless pipes with baffles

with vfc3 on green 8, I was still lean at idle and low running, that wasnt good

I removed the baffles, closed the end down a little to restrict there, then taped up the filter,

bingo, wow small change but now running well rich at 10/11 afr

reduced green to 2.5

much messing about but now I have a full custom setup thats running like a beast, this the first V twin I ever owned

WOW can see the attraction now LOL

around 13 AFR right round the range, instant throttle response in every gear, pulls hard and well

only setting left to really check is red, I have wound it up too WOT but engine was still building and didnt really get right up there, local roads didnt allow it

in case anyone ever needs to tweak air filters, a lil tip I use here, mask it off with tape to restrict airflow till you get what you want, then mask the exposed part, remove forst masking and give good spray with clear lacquer, now you have invisible restriction, I usually make sure I spplit the filter top and bottom, that way I lacquer the top part and rain doesnt get in so easy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts