Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions or ideas on what's the widest rear tire I can mount on a stock 2014 Highball. No modifications or cutting. I want it to clear everything safely, I don't want to modify anything.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Up to a 200 can fit under the fender. You need to change the rim though which I am going to do. It will depend on tyre choice as well as it is trickier to keep the white wall. I think a 150 is the biggest you can go on our 3.5 inch rim.

You need a 5.5 to run a 180 like on a Vegas. A 200 can go on that but ideally it needs a 6" rim.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have friends that own a dealership, They installed a 180 Dunlop white wall on a stock highball rim.
They test rode it and said it didn't feel much different.
Not that 180 is way wider but it looked at home in the wheel well.
But I'm gonna wait till I at least "kinda" need a tire before I switch.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I would be very careful with a 180 on a 3.5 in rim. The tyre is too big. I read that the 150 is already pushing it. A 180 needs a 5.5.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would be very careful with a 180 on a 3.5 in rim. The tyre is too big. I read that the 150 is already pushing it. A 180 needs a 5.5.
^^^^^ this you are asking for trouble adding that much to a smaller rim

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Easy, no mods! stick with what you have cheers
I agree, theres already a selection of fat rear tyred Vics that could be fitted with mini apes if thats the look youre after.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am going to beef up the rear end on mine. I agree that there at other bikes but a highball with a wide tyre looks great. I toyed with the idea of changing bike but the costs of making a Jackpot look like a highball would be even higher.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
I am going to beef up the rear end on mine. I agree that there at other bikes but a highball with a wide tyre looks great. I toyed with the idea of changing bike but the costs of making a Jackpot look like a highball would be even higher.
of course and there's way too much bling on a Jackpot for the look you're after anyway...an 8 Ball Hammer on the other hand.
or going to a wider Vegas rim

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was going to change the rims but a 250 spoke wheel is hard to find and also you would loose the white walls. I think a 180/200 is the perfect rear tyre for our highballs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey everyone, glad I found this thread, the two things I don't like about the highball are the small rear wheel, and no abs, but really the back wheel, glad to hear you can get 200 on the back (with a new rim)

anyone got any pics of a highball with a 200 on it? find a good whitewall?

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's not as easy as you think. If you want a white wall 200 the tyre choice is very limited. Like 2.

The rim has to be the right size and stud pattern. HDs lace up differently to Vic's I am told by Hagan. Make sure you buy an aluminum rim as the can be modified if needed.

I like the look if no front fender but it rains too much in Scotland to do that.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You're right. It's not THAT easy. But still fairly easy. The spoke pattern is different so you need new spokes and nipples. Finding the right rim off the shelf is also not easy. I got lucky with mine. And yes, the white wall tyre is very limiting, but I'm happy with the Vee Rubber so far.

However!! I have discovered a 16" 240 white wall tyre.... So keep your eyes open. ;-)

·
Registered
976 Posts
No way! A 240 White Wall? That was the conversion that I ready waned to do. I wanted the first Fat Highball! :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am yet to research the possibility of a 40 spoke rim that wide. I know a company that can make the rim no issue. But I'm not sure there's enough strength in 40 spokes to cover that extra mass safely. Dunno..... Maybe I'm over thinking it. But I will look into it sooner or later. Would like to do it at the same time as my drop seat, hardtail, twin turbo conversion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just ordered today a 170/70. I will let you guys know how it fits. Its about 1 inch wider. I kinda ruined my tire Saturday night...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts