Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally had the chance to take the wife out for a spin yesterday on the Hammer.

She hated it.

Here are her issues:

Stock seat sucks (no surprise)
She prefers a backrest to feel comfortable and secure
Seating position keeps us too close, our helmets knock on all shifts
Passenger pegs too close, she was getting sore legs and cramping
She is tiny (5'5", 120lbs) yet her tailbone was hurting because it was still hitting the seam where the fender meets the rear of the seat

Here are MY issues:

While I could buy a different saddle, I don't want to sacrifice the look of the Hammer by doing so. It's primarily designed as a solo bike with the hidden seat there "just in case" and certainly not for touring. Bought it understanding this limitation, I had no idea she'd really wanna ride much. I was wrong :eek:

I like the Crossroads, but not fond of getting into a bike that large, and honestly, I've already dropped a little over $20k in bikes this year, not sure I wanna buy another bike that costs that much by itself (I'm not trading my Hammer S)

If I were to look at say a Jackpot, would there be a seat that not only feels more "plush" but would actually sit her back further away from me than the OEM Hammer pillion position?

(I would prefer a Jackpot over any other bike right now, so that question is important to me, I like the green they made a few years back, so I could fare better on price than I would on a new Crossroads)

Since I ride my Hammer solo 98% of the time, I'm keeping the seat/cowl alone.

I don't know of any relocation or extension of the passenger pegs for a Hammer

So I see my options like this:

Ride a Crossroads and see if I will be comfortable with the size/weight & handling

Ride a Road King and Fatboy Lo with saddles more ideal for her

Find a saddle that would give us more space between us for a Jackpot

Any advice at this point is very welcomed. I am already buying two other bikes this year for other purposes, so I'd rather not have to drop $20k+ on a new Croasroads (and mods) if I can avoid it.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Do what I did and buy a pro pad and Tomohawk sissy bar. Angel has ridden comfortably to Reno and back from Sacramento with me.

When I got the propad she said it was a night and day difference.

Here is an old pic with the sissy bar and you can see the pro pad on the passenger seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've heard good things about those pads. If all the other requirements can be filled on a Jackpot, I'll likely just get a custom refinisher to add a large gel pad in the seat itself anyway. Something sculpted for our butts and stitched all perty-like ;)

Sissy bar is also a good option. Normally I'm not a fan of the look, but it really works on your bike. Probably because of the front end you put on, the added rake flows well with the angle of the sissy bar and creates a complete look that's pleasing to the eye.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Thanks Bandit. I've never quite loved the bar. Others say the same thing as you but it only goes on when Angel rides with me.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well I see 2 different options....#1...Leave her at home.....problem solved.....LOL #2 Get her a bike, one that she likes and can handle well...again...Problem solved......

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife had the same problem when I got my hammer, so I bought her a bike. She has always been interested in riding, so I got her a Honda Shadow 750 to learn on, and hopefully in a couple of years she will want to ride a bigger bike and I'll buy either a Cross Country or Vision and she'll ride the hammer (and I'll still be able to ride the hammer...damn I love that bike!)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Ended up trading my Hammer in on my new XC. Wife just couldn't ride on the Hammer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just buy the victory bandit seat (not the touring one) and switch it out when she wants to ride. only takes 10 minutes. The bandit seat looks nice in my opinion because it doesn't come too far above the rear fender.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sissybar

Do what I did and buy a pro pad and Tomohawk sissy bar. Angel has ridden comfortably to Reno and back from Sacramento with me.

When I got the propad she said it was a night and day difference.

Here is an old pic with the sissy bar and you can see the pro pad on the passenger seat.
Where can I get something like that for my High-Ball? My wife misses having a backrest since I got rid of my vulcan. not to mention, I think a sissy bar would add to the look of the highball.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A good seat solution is the Buttybuddy. Check out the link below. I have read good things about it and consider going this route until my daughter sprung for a new mustang seat for me for a combo birthday fathers day gift. It looks like diamonds sissy bar would work.

http://buttybuddy.com/

Mrbill65

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure if my Vegas seat will fit your Hammer, but got to tell you that this seat is sooo comfy! One or two up, it's great. I rode for four hours (solo) last Sunday, and apart from a five minute stop for a fill up, had no issues.....
I know it's aftermarket, but don't know where from...it was on the bike when I bought it....

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
This isn't gonna be popular here, but my most comforatble ride with my wife on the back is my 2008 Softail Custom, with the stock seat, it is extremely comfortable.

I also have the optional Jackpot seat with sissy bar/ pad and it is still closer than the Softtail.

Funny, when I was young,I would want the "tail" close, but now,,,, Give me some space thanks:ltr:

·
Registered
229 Posts
same boat...

i took my gf for a short ride with the stock seat and her butt was sore after. i got a corbin seat with the bike and i switched it over, it dosent solve much, we are still to close(helmets hit constantly), the sissy bar on it sucks(according to her) its way to curved for any grown person. so with either seat she is too close, especially in this heat and it totally ruins the look of the bike and i could only stand it on there a day and it was back to stock. she dosent complain about the pegs, but she is only 5'2. i dont see a resolution to our problem, but the Hammer stays!

bike #2 for me will be a project bobber, if i ever make it to bike three....might just go all out on a used goldwing or somthing.

and no, as much as i'd love to help buy her an s40 just like her friend has, we've come to a conclusion she has no business operating a motorcycle, or her truck for that matter but i dont have a say in that...

·
Registered
690 Posts
You might as well plan on buying the bigger bike, if your going to test ride them . I believe you'll be shocked at how comfortable and maneuverable they are .

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
You might as well plan on buying the bigger bike, if your going to test ride them . I believe you'll be shocked at how comfortable and maneuverable they are .
:I agree: +1

·
Registered
229 Posts
A good seat solution is the Buttybuddy. Check out the link below. I have read good things about it and consider going this route until my daughter sprung for a new mustang seat for me for a combo birthday fathers day gift. It looks like diamonds sissy bar would work.

http://buttybuddy.com/

Mrbill65
mrbill65, no offense to you or ButtyBuddy, IMHO that thing looks like a cheap office chair. I'm sure it's actually very comfortable, but it just doesn't belong on a cruiser, a tourer maybe. One thing is for sure...you'd get a lot of looks showing up to your local bike night with that thing on the back of you hammer. :ltr:

·
Registered
92 Posts
no offense taken, but they go on and off in a few minutes and come with a carrying bag. Personally I went with a mustang seat on my sc and love it. But I did consider this product based on reviews. Besides I have seen that they support the forum and it is always good to support our advertisers.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. I'll be looking into a Crossroads and comparing it to a few Harleys as well.

I'm not modifying my Hammer S into some strange Frankenbike by putting ugly windshields and huge seats on it, that ruins the intention of the design.

I needed an excuse for a 3rd bike, so here we have it! :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts