Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use one? I have my WiFi modem in the home office and to reach the living room it passes through a few walls weakening the signal. I use my laptop in about every room including the garage using it for how to videos and out there the signal is getting very weak.

This is an example of what I'm taking about.

Do WiFi extenders work?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Anybody use one? I have my WiFi modem in the home office and to reach the living room it passes through a few walls weakening the signal. I use my laptop in about every room including the garage using it for how to videos and out there the signal is getting very weak.

This is an example of what I'm taking about.

Do WiFi extenders work?
Yes.
But not all equally.
One of my relatives has a fairly large home and put one in near his daughters bedroom to boost the signal so she would have more bandwidth in her room.

That one would work, but would get it's nickers in a wad about weekly. He or she would have to go unplug it and plug it back in to reboot it.
He upgraded to a higher end one recently and when I saw it and asked about it, he said it worked much better. The new one looked to be a higher priced unit judging by it's size and case.

So yes they work but you will want to buy one that has good reviews. I'd email him to ask what he went to but he is traveling at the moment away from home. So yes they do work, his daughters room has little to no reception without it and she seems to be quite pleased now that the repeater is in.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.
But not all equally.
One of my relatives has a fairly large home and put one in near his daughters bedroom to boost the signal so she would have more bandwidth in her room.

That one would work, but would get it's nickers in a wad about weekly. He or she would have to go unplug it and plug it back in to reboot it.
He upgraded to a higher end one recently and when I saw it and asked about it, he said it worked much better. The new one looked to be a higher priced unit judging by it's size and case.

So yes they work but you will want to buy one that has good reviews. I'd email him to ask what he went to but he is traveling at the moment away from home. So yes they do work, his daughters room has little to no reception without it and she seems to be quite pleased now that the repeater is in.
I'll look into the better ones for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one plugged into the wall. It helps but not always sure about it since we have quite a few wire-less connects going on.

Best thing you can do is put your wifi router in a central location in the house.
I would like to but it's not convenient.

·
Registered
144 Posts
WiFi

You can add a second unit referred to as an Access Point (No Router ability so less cost). The access point would transmit on a different channel and SSID, you can use the same WiFi password (encryption) effectively you would have two WiFi transmitters. assuming the new one is better than the original and has a better signal your device would connect to the stronger signal. Remember in WiFi signals keep it as high as possible as in don't put it in the basement put in in a second level if possible.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can add a second unit referred to as an Access Point (No Router ability so less cost). The access point would transmit on a different channel and SSID, you can use the same WiFi password (encryption) effectively you would have two WiFi transmitters. assuming the new one is better than the original and has a better signal your device would connect to the stronger signal. Remember in WiFi signals keep it as high as possible as in don't put it in the basement put in in a second level if possible.
Sounds complicated for a plug and play kind of guy.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
(I havent read all the replies above, but just in case) I've got an extender router Vin that I bought from a common electrical shop- once you switch it on it automatically picks up the strongest WiFi it receives (which is my original WiFi router) and replicates that stream so that you dont need to do anything at all to it- only when you connect your devise to it you simply key in the same password as the roginal router. So easy. And it works great.

These things must be as common as in electrical shops.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(I havent read all the replies above, but just in case) I've got an extender router Vin that I bought from a common electrical shop- once you switch it on it automatically picks up the strongest WiFi it receives (which is my original WiFi router) and replicates that stream so that you dont need to do anything at all to it- only when you connect your devise to it you simply key in the same password as the roginal router. So easy. And it works great.

These things must be as common as in electrical shops.
Is it like the one in my original post?

·
13,242 Posts
how old is your router. Bets buy told me if mine was more then 5 years old or not a N router that could be why my computer works slow.
If you rent your modem you can by a router and modem all in one now.
I do wish I understood it better then what I do

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought it at Best Buy a year ago it's a century Link all in one.

I'm going to figure out a central location. The extenders sound a last resort.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Is it like the one in my original post?
Yes- actually I think thats exactly it Vin- brilliant little devices so for lame brains like me where plug and play works best- farking brilliant!

:D

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Take it into a electrical store and ask them how the wifi extender works- I reckon they are great.

·
13,242 Posts
vindex1963
thanks for bring this up. I started looking into it and there is no one answer and every one thinks xxxx router works good. No one says great.
My provider say walls windows pipes lights all effect the signal. They say Frontier provides its best service for out doors.
So now if I want fast powerful internet I have to move out doors.
I did read a lot of guys use that signal booster zyxel or any booster and they say it really helps.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have the same router and it works well enough.
The first N I bought did not have good coverage, then it burned out in the first year. So I have some had something to compare it with. The one you are using seems to be pretty good compared to how badly they can be .

Our buildings at home have metal roofs which cuts coverage.
I had the best luck moving the router to a window as high as possible and away from anything metal.
It improved service to part of the house as well as the shop.
I think getting it physically away from metal objects helped the most.

While on the subject, I ran across this:
http://www.instructables.com/file/FMKKV0MGFA43M4S
Though not exactly an extender I think it's a great use for those old dish antennas everyone throws away especially if you have an out building on your property that gets a crappy signal. Even though it is off topic I thought I would throw it in the mix incase someone reading this can use something like it.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up buying the one in my original post and it extends the signal over the rest of the house and the garage in a full signal. Amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Nice one Vin (late change sorry- can't spell)......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts