Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a ride up to LLOYD'Z a few days ago and on the way up I came wayyyyyyy to close to recreating this scene from Wild Hogs! :eek

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As I was riding up a two lane road at about 45mph, I noticed a Turkey Vulture dining along the right side edge of the pavement. I slowed and he payed no attention until just as I was reaching his location and he decided to take off. If you seen them, you know they have a substantial wing span. As he began flapping his wings and taking flight, his right wing tip made contact with the fairing just in front of the throttle grip and the right side mirror.

Oh, and by the way, they are even uglier up close.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Glad it wasn't a direct hit. Those things are no joke.

I was hit by a pigeon once. Luckily it hit my shield and bounced over me.

The scariest thing I ever had come at me was blown tire shards from a truck. Took one off my helmet, shoulder, and leg. Luckily I had on a jacket, jeans, and helmet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...The scariest thing I ever had come at me was blown tire shards from a truck. Took one off my helmet, shoulder, and leg. Luckily I had on a jacket, jeans, and helmet.
Aside from a collision or going down, this worries me the most. It's why when I'm passing a truck, I WASTE NO TIME DOING SO!

And yah, thought for a second it was going to be a direct hit and very likely that would not have had a pretty ending.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
In my riding experience, I have been too near a truck when a tire exploded - three times! Those aren't tires, those are 18 grenades waiting to go off. I too, scamper fast past a rig and never follow near one.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I've never clipped a bird but a long time ago something big splattered on my face shield and there was yellow guts from one side to the other :puke:

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I was overtaking another bike on an Interstate and just as I was alongside him His windshield and a seagull exploded. Good thing he was wearing a full face with the shield down. It was messy.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I've never clipped a bird but a long time ago something big splattered on my face shield and there was yellow guts from one side to the other :puke:

I hit one of those a few years ago on the Goldwing. Felt like someone threw an egg at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
483 Posts
Reminds me of the time I got the wife a new 3/4 helmet with full shield. We went out for a quick ride just to test it. We weren't gone but 10 minutes. When we got back I hopped off and turned to ask her how it was. Somehow she took a huge gut filled bug right to the shield. It was everywhere! She was just staring at it with a blank look on her face. I laughed pretty hard before I took it off her and cleaned it. She was fairly new to riding then and I thought she might be done with it. Luckily she kept going with me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A June bug to the face feels real nice. It made me bleed.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I hit one of those a few years ago on the Goldwing. Felt like someone threw an egg at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was dusk and I was accelerating on to a highway, I remember seeing a black spot weaving off in the distance...next thing I know **SPLAT!!** the impact even knocked my head back some...I still have no idea what hit me, it was obliterated on my shield.

Reminds me of the time I got the wife a new 3/4 helmet with full shield. We went out for a quick ride just to test it. We weren't gone but 10 minutes. When we got back I hopped off and turned to ask her how it was. Somehow she took a huge gut filled bug right to the shield. It was everywhere! She was just staring at it with a blank look on her face. I laughed pretty hard before I took it off her and cleaned it. She was fairly new to riding then and I thought she might be done with it. Luckily she kept going with me.
That could have been ugly....... lol

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
many years ago when I had my Yamaha Venture, when my front tire picked up a ground squirrel that darted out and it hit me right in the chest at 70 mph. I almost did not make it to the side of the road to stop and get my breath back. Critters are nothing to ignore. Rise safe

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took a large butterfly on the left side of my jaw last summer. The hit wasn't that bad but the nasty feeling of this oozy stuff running down my neck kinda sucked.

Took one right square in the forehead years ago at about 70mph. Thought sure at first I'd been shot. It left one helluva welt.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Ouch.. took a big beetle to the chest while cruising about 70 mph. that bruise was there for days!
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Try living by the lake when the june bugs come out....and you have a Edison light on your property that they wont turn off or install a switch so I can turn it off just for those few days.

·
12,983 Posts
what ever it was it was hard and hit my ear. It did hurt. I have always wanted to ask a doctor why when you get hit by a bug it stings so much. Once you rub it the stinging kinda stops.
ScabbyDoo like you I had a turkey vulture take off in front of me. He clipped the windshield as I ducked behind it. I was shaken

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you said....
"Took a ride up to LLOYD'Z a few days ago and on the way up I came wayyyyyyy to close to recreating this scene from Wild Hogs!"...

I thought you were referring to this starting at the 3:10 mark.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................................that would be a no. :rolleyes:

what ever it was it was hard and hit my ear. It did hurt. I have always wanted to ask a doctor why when you get hit by a bug it stings so much. Once you rub it the stinging kinda stops.
ScabbyDoo like you I had a turkey vulture take off in front of me. He clipped the windshield as I ducked behind it. I was shaken
Glad you made it through as well. The one thing that concerns me more here in PA is Deer.

Except for ignorant cagers!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts