Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love my Cross Roads, it seems like a nice fit between the cruisers and faired baggers. Don't get me wrong, l love the CC but it would be nice if they came back with a new CR. I'm certain they didn't sell as well as the CC's but to get the same thing I would have to buy a cruiser and add bags and a windscreen not to mention the abs and cruise control.

Harley has stopped some models and then brought them back new and improved. I was sorry to see the CR's go but they probably will never come back. Victory won't have an alternative to the Road King or Soft Tail.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Unfortunately, the Cross Roads was never a fast seller unlike the Cross Country that was an immediate hit. Victory even tried several bikes based on the original Cross Roads to try and get the model selling. The Hardball was overpriced and cancelled rather quickly and the Cross Roads Classic just wasn't a big seller either. Hopefully, once Vic gets a bit more popular and mainstream there will be a public that is interested in a model like the Cross Roads. I sure love mine!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
To me it is very similar to the Road King. For the life of me I cant see why someone would buy one of those vs say a street glide. I had a buddy that had a Heritage Soft tail classic. Looked to be same bike to me and less money if I remember correctly. Not to say there is not a place for it. I liked the CR, and the options it gave a fellow, fairing or windshield, hard bags or soft. Drawbacks I saw was if a fellow tried to go in less expensive than a XC, and add things like cruise and passenger floorboards they were very pricey.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like the XR

In 2012 when I was shopping I liked the XC but it was too $$ for me. I came from a Honda VTX and it was hard for me to justify the money but I settled for the XR. If the XR did not exist I would have bought a Harley. A lot of Dealer visits were involved on both brands. When I bought the XR I only added the tall windshield it did have the forged bars which was a desirable feature. I really enjoyed the handling and ride. I later added the passenger backrest at the request from my wife. She likes the XR and enjoys the ride. she prefers to take a break at least every hour or so. I asked her about passenger floorboard and she doesn't think she would like them. No real desire for the XC faring so the XR fits me great.
So for me if the XR did not exist in 2012 I would not be riding a Victory.
Victory DOES need a 2 passenger bagger with the lower options and lower cost of the XR.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
The XR was and is the perfect bike for me. I don't want or need the radio, nor so I want the added weight of the XC's fairing. I enjoy the excellent weather protection the plexi-fairing affords and the uninterrupted view of the road ahead. The icing on that cake is being able to see that gorgeous headlight pointing the way. When the weather turns hot, the windscreen is removable. I'll gladly hop on it for a short errand and would eagerly pack it up and head out across the continent. I don't need to prattle on about the attributes of the Cross bikes--we all know them well.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Lets hope they come back.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I hope they come back but I don't think it will be anytime soon. I could afford any bike I wanted but I chose the XR because I too didn't need a full fairing or a radio and like to ride with out a windshield sometimes. HD's are too small for me so I was looking at other Jap brands (stratoliner, etc.) and just happen to stumble upon Victory. Called a few dealers and visited the one close to me. He had two 2011 XR's (in late 2012) sitting in the corner with dust on them. Polaris had some good rebates and after some more haggling (25% total off of MSRP) I took the red XR home. Still loving it, took it on a New Years ride yesterday.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
@TNXR same here mate, not a windscreen and radio or cruise person. But the added comfort and ground clearance, handling and braking would be nice.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm hoping they come back or at least I can find a decent one closer to home.. I love my hammer, but now that the wife wants to ride more and I enjoy being able to ride with her more like when we first started dating and rode everywhere on old Yamaha Maxim 550. Had a chance a while back but like a moron let it slip through my fingers (woulda shoulda coulda). don't figure i would use the radio much as I'm not going to hear a whole lot through my full face to enjoy it which is why I have a harder time with the Vision, although to me that bike is much more comfy than my butt deserves, and the XC. +1 on bringing some version of it back!! Fingers crossed, although the next version of something like the crossroads will probably come with an Indian badge on it...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
NOPE , and its a shame . If anything would come back , in my opinion it would be the Kingpin . Horrible decision by Vic to drop the Pin in favor of the BW .

·
Registered
12,159 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
To me it is very similar to the Road King.

+1....I thought it was the direct competitor of the Road King. Perfect for someone who doesn't want a fairing. I couldn't believe they dropped it, but probably all comes down to not selling enough.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
12,983 Posts
I think it went away cause no radio. We are geared to having music that its hard to go thru a day where there is none. I have 5 friends on road kings and one with a bagger that are happy to ride without music.
Think of all the guys riding kingpins hammers vegas with ear phones. Personally I don't mind when I ride and don't hear music

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
The music of my Freedom Slash's is fine by me :)
Used to run earbuds and Motorhead for long trips on my GPZ900R
but thats different

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Vintage is a really nice bike. I've ridden one before. It's a cut above the CR in in fit, finish and style. That is also reflected in the price, you can get a CC for less I think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think we are seeing the beginning of shift for Victory. MaPolaris is going to shift Victory away from the touring, bagger, and cruiser markets and let Indian compete with HD in that market. So don't think the CR is coming back.:frown

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
If Victory shifts away from their versions of the CC, the CCT and their cruisers, they might as well fold their tent now. The Cross bike line has been their best selling line, ever. I do not see them dropping their baggers, tourers and cruisers just because Indian has their version of them.

Indian 'could' soon have a similar issue that H-D has. That being locked into a particular 'look'. If identifying your 2025 Indian becomes an issue for all but a dedicated Indian fan, they'll have achieved what many H-D owners suffer. That being the bikes all look so similar from one decade to the next. It's a sea of sameness in an H-D parking lot.

Victory, has much more freedom of design and so they will have a much easier time with expanding current models and introducing new ones.

I hope they do bring back the Cross Roads as that could easily be my next Victory.

One thing is for sure, it will be interesting to watch these lines develop.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
I think we are seeing the beginning of shift for Victory. MaPolaris is going to shift Victory away from the touring, bagger, and cruiser markets and let Indian compete with HD in that market. So don't think the CR is coming back.:frown
I don't think so. Obviously the XC has been a winner for them. The Vision might either be in danger or going through some kind of design makeover. Victory is going to be their performance and edgey lineup.

Jackpot and Hammer just haven't been selling well but are still hanging on by a thread. They need to bring the Kingpin back and keep the flagship Vegas even if only in 8 Ball form but they spruced it up a bit for this year. Maybe they will bring the KP back with the new wet motor.

With the new water-cooled (wet) motor; maybe they'll come up with a Hammer W, Jackpot W, Vegas W, etc. etc. It's only a matter of time before the X bikes get a wet motor. I've never owned a water-cooled bike before but in reading the forums I can tell people like how much quieter they are than air-cooled motors. I guess the water jacket helps to knock out much of the small noises the engine makes. They are quicker for sure.

I was bummed to hear the new Scout had bad batteries and shocks among other cheaped-out parts. That just isn't acceptable. One can understand the EPA mandating noise and pollution restrictions that we have to fix but not basic parts. Maybe someone thought it was a good idea to save a dollar here and there but the bad publicity will cost them much more in the long run so I hope it isn't repeated in the Victory.

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Always thought the Cross Roads was the Best Looking Bike on the Victory Showroom Floor when first seriously checked Vic Bikes out, with the Kingpin a Very Close 2nd .. Ended up with the XC because a Great Price being a left over 12 ..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts