Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 X C i was wondering if those wind deflectors work. i guess they go on the front forks. John

·
Registered
573 Posts
Buffeting is a real issue on the XC. For me, the deflectors helped, but didn't cure the problem.

The factory close outs worked perfect, but aren't that prctical when it gets warm.

Cee Baileys has my bike now, ans hopefully they will design something that will work better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My suggestion is to go to Laminar LLC I know someone who put this on their StreetGlide and it has worked wonders (under $100)

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I was never a big fan of these add-ons. They look like you broke your shield and put it back together with some bulky screws. But if you don't mind the looks, I guess it could be a cheap way to get your shorty a bit taller. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the Laminar on my VStrom, and it does help, although I am not crazy about the looks (VStroms are so goofy looking it doesn't really matter though).

I find that if I use my tall shield (which I have to look through rather than over) it cures the problem. However, I don't think it looks great either, and is awkward in the rain (not that it rains much in SoCal).

I do think the XC has the worst buffeting of any bike I can remember, even worse than my RoadGlide.

I talked with Joe at CeeBaileys a couple days ago, they are in process of making lexan deflectors to mount in between the crash bars, and also a differrent design recurve windshield. Sure hope they are successful.

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
I hope so too Greg. Please keep us posted on the results. Sounds like they are doing something similar to what I'm doing in the crash bar area. I hope to get the new plastic cut and mounted this month. I'm debating on getting the material and doing it myself or to have it made. Working with plastics really isn't my forte.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
CCvictory: I think I missed the part about what height you are.

My next shield is planned to be a Gustafsson but I'd be happy if someone could just put a little flip on my 7Jurock shield. Probably not gonna happen though.

A +4 (13") shield with the freakin' flip is all I need. You would think I could just take a heat gun to my existing shield and put a small flip right where I need it.

Oh well; I've already said; working with plastics really isn't my thing. I'm tempted to learn real quick though.

There's another thread about an add-on shield. Maybe that would work for a wee bit, eh.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts

I'm 6', 200lbs, 32" inseam and I wear a Shoei Qwest helmet (very quiet helmet)

I actually don't recommend the higher flip...where the plastic is curved upwards results in a line of distortion in the shield. The 11" keeps that distortion low and not in your normal sight line. The 13" may move that distortion up into your normal field of view.
Just FYI...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 2010 X C i was wondering if those wind deflectors work. i guess they go on the front forks. John
John, I have added the Victory lowers. They are pricey though.I just liked the look better than the Memphis Shades option. I believe they help, I also have the 7Jurock 13" shield. Talk to Greg real nice, you can get him to match the Honda East Toledo price.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts

I'm 6', 200lbs, 32" inseam and I wear a Shoei Qwest helmet (very quiet helmet)

I actually don't recommend the higher flip...where the plastic is curved upwards results in a line of distortion in the shield. The 11" keeps that distortion low and not in your normal sight line. The 13" may move that distortion up into your normal field of view.
Just FYI...
Can you do me a favor and measure the distance from the top center line of the fairing to the top of your windshield?

If you get 15.5" then your shield is actually a 13" shield. If you measure the shield from just above that reference point on the fairing and get 13" then you have a 13" shield.

I'm curious because looking at the pics you posted in the thread you linked to makes it look like the shield may be taller.

I'm 5'10" or so and I look over the 13" 7Jurock shield easily. My upper body is in proportion with the lower part so there's nothing unusual there. An 11" shield would be way too low for me. I'd be getting blasted right in the forehead unless the seat was 2" lower.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Three pictures attached...opening is measured from the opening to the top, 11.5" total.
Top and bottom pictures show where I measured from. 14" total.
And yes, it was 85 degrees here today and I went riding...and the bugs were out. Cleanup in store for tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
CCvictory; I actually don't recommend the higher flip...where the plastic is curved upwards results in a line of distortion in the shield. The 11" keeps that distortion low and not in your normal sight line. The 13" may move that distortion up into your normal field of view. Just FYI...[/QUOTE said:
This is what I am using the distortion is below eye sight on the windscreen. I can see over it without any problems, my passenger is happy to.
I am 5'7" wit a 28 inseam

After about 3 months I am very happy with my choice

dd

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
Thanks CCvictory. I didn't mean for you to go to all the trouble of taking pics but I'm glad you did. From this side it doesn't look like there's much distortion of things close to the inside of the shield. I'm sure when everything is in the distance the distortion effect goes way up.

I guess I'll be getting one of these Gustafsson shields when finances allow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts