Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I did search but cam up empty. I purchased a 2012 CCT late last fall. While I've had limited chances to ride, when I have it's been chilly. When I close fairing wings to reduce the breeze, I get strong exhaust fumes with the back swirl.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has faced this challenge. How have other solved it?

Thanks,

LB

P.S. Love the bike but need to solve for this issue.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Just guessing.....leaking exhaust gaskets? The pipe to head ones. If you still have the originals, they are hard and crappy, change them for cushier ones. Do a forum search, there's a Toyota one that fits.
I'm curious as to what windshield you have.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Had my 13 XCT for a couple years now. Have not noticed any what I would call out of ordinary fume smell. If you are getting it while riding and all vents closed I would think it is drawing air in and around the engine. So as mentioned you might check the flange gaskets. We use to take a piece of paper and hold it around header flanges and see if it would move it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't like the sounds of a leaky gasket. Pulling the pipes off for a change may be beyond my skill set and patients quota. I suppose there is a safety aspect if I'm drinking fumes all day.

The windscreen is a Gustafson which measures 14" from the top of the slot or 16" from the fairing to the top of the screen. I'm '6'3" and also get some buffeting. It hits me just right for peaking over the top but I'm not sure if this is the right one for me.

Yesterday, I was out adjusting all of the setting trying to find the best placement for the wings. It's still a work in progress.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had the same thing last summer I could smell exhaust. Never could before. I found that the primary gasket was leaking marginally on top. I could not see this because I had purchased the chrome cover that bolts over this area. Re torqued the primary nuts which had become very loose. Hopefully problem solved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have given it a review and could not find a leak. My survealence was primitive as I used a light piece of paper ( a cash register receipt ) to try to find exhaust escape. Also checked around the primary cover.

This was at idle. I suppose the results could different under load. Any other suggestions on identifying a source, or if it even exist?

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Are you sure it's exhaust fumes and not gas fumes? If it was gas I'd say to check the vent lines under the seat on the left side that come from tank gas cap. Sometimes they shift then when we sit on the bike it crimps the line so the fumes have no choices but to come out through the gas cap vent hole so we smell it.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Never had that problem on my 2014 CCT and I keep them all closed off when riding in the winter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought I’d close this thread out.

First, thanks for the input. I’ve checked my pipe fitting and primary cover for leaks ( using soapy water ) all good. I’ve checked the gas tank lines, all good.

I went out last night and gave it a real close test and have determined the fumes are only a problem when I decelerate or come to a stop. I’m GTG when on the move. My conclusion is that it’s backswirl, possible from the Gustafson windscreen? I do have a pretty significant push from the rear when at speed.

Thanks All,

LB

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
just keep into it and dont slow down😁

1 - 12 of 12 Posts