Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1st Victory. 2013 Vegas 8-Ball.

The day after buying it, took it for a 500+ mile ride.

It could certainly use some sort of wind protection, especially at highway speeds.

Trying not to get something HUGE in the way of a windshield but then I saw some photos of this bike with a Memphis Shades fairing and it has me interested.

So, what do you think?

Would a windshield or a fairing ruin the looks of this bike?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nah. Thats the cool thing about our bike. It's a bit of a chameleon. I've seen it with a cafe fairing, windshield, batwing fairing, and others (like mine). Memphis shades batwing looks good, as long as you have the round headlight (imho).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Get a detachable windshield for your longer highway rides. You'll ride the bike more if you're comfortable. Looks are secondary.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I posted this question on another victory forum as I wasnt sure what I wanted, either a windshield or a fairing for my 09 Vegas 8 Ball. Some people posted pics of their Vegas's with both and I have to say I'm going with the fairing, I think on an 8 Ball they look cool, so I'll be ordering my Memphis Batwing real soon.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my bike is black, .... so the fairing would match.

:D

It appears that it's a "quick release" like most of the windshields, so that would be a definite plus.

I have the National Cycle 2-up windshields on a couple of other bikes and they work well - but would probably look HUGE on this bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
just watch it on the tall windshields. mine came with 2 different ones from the previous owner. I didn't like the look of either one, but the main thing was that with the tall one(19 1/2" from headlight to top) the wind would shake my head so bad I literally couldn't see.
I couldn't read the huge green signs on the interstate until I was extremely close to them.
from 1/2 mile away, I couldn't tell how many cars were in front of me. each one looked like 3.
so now i've got a much shorter one that pushes the wind blast almost over my head, and no more head vibration, I can see again.
I want to keep my 'shield a bit of a secret cuz I like being the only one with it.
however, all the parts are from memphis shades.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huh. This is getting good.

Lots of good replies.

Thanks !

(keep it moving)

:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
thank you. however I only added the windshield and 8-ball mirror, not seen in the photo.
victory should definitely sell these new with black rims, way better than aluminum color.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to the Memphis shades website and am trying to figure out if the fairing comes with a windscreen, or if ya gotta order that separately. I know that the mounting kit is separate.

Also, am I going to need to get a round headlight, or does it work OK with the stock headlight?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I went to the Memphis shades website and am trying to figure out if the fairing comes with a windscreen, or if ya gotta order that separately. I know that the mounting kit is separate.

Also, am I going to need to get a round headlight, or does it work OK with the stock headlight?
Pretty sure you have to choose the windscreen you want, which is an extra cost for the choice. Go with the round headlight, you will not regret it. It makes it look right. as seen below...

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where are people buying their round headlights from and approx. how much? I am deciding between the bat wing or the bullet fairing. For those with experience, does the bullet provide a comfortable ride on long trips? I'm guessing it keeps the wind off the chest and head, the only benefit of the batwing over that would be hands?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where are people buying their round headlights from and approx. how much? I am deciding between the bat wing or the bullet fairing. For those with experience, does the bullet provide a comfortable ride on long trips? I'm guessing it keeps the wind off the chest and head, the only benefit of the batwing over that would be hands?
Round headlights are from the older models, mine is an 09 vegas and its the round chrome headlight, the bullet one came after my bike

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
My personal opinion, and it's just that, an opinion, is the fatter tire KP and Hammer look better with the fairing and the narrow tire bikes look better with smaller windshield such as the MS on my old JP. I should have gone with one size bigger on this but it worked ok. If I wore a helmet all the time it would have been fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I was thinking about the national cycle quick release chopped/tinted windshield. VERY scratch resistant, and is a thin windshield.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/large_photo?mv_session_id=wVNnvP33&mv_arg=N21406&search_model=po%2d004

-or- maybe the "shorty" quick release windshield

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/large_photo?mv_session_id=wVNnvP33&mv_arg=N21706&search_model=po%2d004

- the third option would be the "low boy heavy duty" but it's not quick release, and looks a bit big.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/large_photo?mv_session_id=wVNnvP33&mv_arg=N2221&search_model=po%2d004

If this looks like krap, somebody please tell me.

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What?

OK, how about some more pictures of these bikes with windshields.

???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same problem that was stated above. I have 2013 vegas 8 ball. I just installed a windshield (mini standard) to get rid of some wind pressure and bugs. But since putting it on my bike I can't ride highway speeds without extreme buffeting and helmet wobble. I can't read road signs either until I come up close. I've moved it up and down height wise but it doesn't seem to matter. I've heard of putting lower fairings on but I'd like to keep as little as possible on the bike, which is why I went with the mini standard. I'm not sure what options I have.. I've been considering removing the windshield and going with a full face Helmet which I'd rather not... But I can't stand the helmet shake. I'm just looking for ideas.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts