Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone gone from a wing to the Vic? I have an '06 wing that I'm selling and thinking about getting a XR or XC , not sure yet. Also looking at the Vaquero, but I sure do like the Victory.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yep. The Vic is not a Wing. No twin will be. The XCT fits me better and is a surprising ride. You'll have to learn to shift again and the Vic has a very long throttle. Like going from a Caddy to a muscle car, they really don't compare but both are good.
The Vic will seem lacking for the first 4 to 5K, then finish off breaking in around 10KK. easy and cheap enough to upgrade. Just remember to keep the revs over 2500 and don't be afraid to let it spin up. Lots of wingers whine about this and that but if it fit I'd still have one.
Ride one or four and see what fits and suits you. The water is fine, come in for a dip,maybe a swim.
cheers

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Agree with Lostintexas, you need to take a few Victory bikes out for a spin and see if one fits what you are looking for. Good luck in your decision moving forward.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have actually been looking into the vaquero. It's a great looking bike and I can't wait to get a test ride on one. I'm not leaving victory but it may be adding another bike to the stable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Anyone gone from a wing to the Vic?
Way back when:

File0051.jpg

Nice bikes, but way too many snappy plastic bits. Vics are much simpler machines. That simplicity makes them feel a little crude by comparison, but they're just enough crude to make them feel like motorsickles.

I have an '06 wing that I'm selling and thinking about getting a XR or XC , not sure yet. Also looking at the Vaquero, but I sure do like the Victory.
You might find this interesting.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=competition+accessories+vacquero&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=C0DB275539EBC1DCC0F6C0DB275539EBC1DCC0F6

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike. Do not hesitate to take either bike out for a test ride and, since you are coming from a Wing, be sure to test ride the Vision. Your dealer should be delighted to have you do a test ride. They sell a new bike almost any time someone rides one so take advantage of them wanting you to ride them. Be careful though, if you ride one you'll own one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the reasons I'm selling the wing, is due to overall weight, not to mention all the plastic you have to remove to work on the thing. I like tinkering with my bikes and the wing just takes the fun out of it. You have to remove a plastic cover just to check the oil!
I'm going back to a cruiser but haven't discounted the bike's with fairings. I will be posting my bike in the classifieds, when I get enough posts. I am listing it with a winter price and it may well go up when spring gets here. Thanks for all the replies....Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
Who the heck ever checked the oil on a GW?! Just funning. You'll have to remove a side cover to air up the rear shock unless you reroute it on the Vic. Just a trade off.
Wings aren't bad but yes you have to get your head wrapped around the extra steps.
I haven't ridden the Kawasaki, did try the Voyager but don't know if it has the same engine. Just figured they hosed the Voyager name with this generation, YMMV
Vaquero looks nice though. It is also water cooled so that is good. Vic engines have the longest and most dramatic break in I have ever seen with any vehicle. I was about run over because of the gutless newness. At 5K the thing came to life in a remarkable fashion. I'm not is to loud pipes and trying to make a mule in to a stallion. Mostly because the mule has its defining qualities. The stallion does too but you get it.
Luggage galore, fine road manners, about as good as I've ever been on, good pillion accommodations, and enough grunt to get me, momma and the kitchen sink down the road. What I was looking for.
The electronics are lacking for sure. No comm, no wired to helmet radio, no security. Stuff that should be on a bike for the price they ask, but for the most part, cheap enough to get your own especially if you like to tinker. Easy oil changes, the clutch should be hydraulic IMHO, throttle can be easily and cheaply shortened up.
I'm not telling you this to nit pick but to inform you what to look for. The seat height will aid the old leg" syndrome and they carry their weight well FWIW I thought the Vision would be in our wheel house but the pillion nixed it. Oh well, what ever they did to the fairing on the X bikes, they did it right. High winds and gusts don't seem to give it any trouble. Trucks feel about like they did on the Wing.
Happy shopping

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also came from a Wing (04). I wanted:
1) Simplicity of getting to any parts that need getting too.
2) comfort for the long haul. Wing kept my knees in one position with the only out being the road bars which I could not comfortably use. To wide a reach.
3) Reliability.

Did a ton of research before riding a CC and I was sold. Could not be happier with my CCT. Day long happy riding is what I got. ;)
Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
I had a 2002 Wing. Switched to a 2013 XCT last May. Pros and cons of the Vic as compared to the Wing...

Pros:
- XCT has a much lower and more comfortable seating position. Add to that I was able to raise the bars a bit without having to buy spacers
- It's a longer bike, and the driver floorboards were more out front, allowing my legs to stretch out.
- Better Stereo (I understand the later Wings had better stereos too)
- REMOVABLE TRUNK
- Not very common (but getting more common!)
- 6-speed
- BETTER Wind protection than the Wing. Mush less buffeting.

Cons:
- It's a v-twin and it feels like one. Don't have the electric-like smooth power of the Wing. This does not bother me.
- Cable clutch instead of hydraulic (I've since converted mine to a hydraulic clutch)
- No linked brakes
- Each storage compartment has its own lock (whereas the Wing was centrally operated). Not a big deal.

I'm sure there are others but that's what popped into my peanut brain for right now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Broggyr, I understand about the power difference and since I've owned Harley's, I know the power band will be a lot different. I really don't care about the radio, I use my Iphone with itunes. That is the main reason I was looking at the XR. Why pay more for stuff that I wouldn't use anyway. the fairing would be nice for the wind protection, but not a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the reply...Mike

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
From a Yamaha RSV to an '03 Wing to a '13 XCT

Loved the style of the RSV but it was just too top heavy and hard to handle at low speed.

Loved the Wing but ..... most of the time I felt I was driving a 2-wheeled CAR.

Chose the Vic cos it handles great, feels great, and it LOOKS and FEELS like I am riding a MOTORCYCLE!

Harley Ultra was a consideration but some of the maintenance issues scared me off.

That said, I've been drooling somewhat over the 2014 Ultra Limited.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I spent three decades on first gen Yamaha Ventures and six decades disliking everything about cruisers. Cancer and Ma Nature had me needing a lower seat height and CG and along came the Vic Cross bikes. Having never used the radios and wanting simplicity without surrendering handling and weather protection, I opted for the XR with added fork mounted wind deflectors. Rain and weather protection same as those Ventures (which was superior to GWs) with the added benefit of a removable windshield when the weather gets hot. I also have the Lock & Ride passenger backrest and rack. A Saddlemen rack bag, a tank bag and two huge side cases give me tons more storage than my Ventures had, and they had a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there any big difference in the model year, say 2010-2013? I've read a lot of info and can't seem to find any differences. There are a few used XR's around my area and for the right price, I wouldn't be opposed to a used bike....Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
The biggest would probably be the transmission update. The 11 got a different transmission and this allowed for 5K oil changes vs 2500 mile service. Some claim it just made for a loud shifter, but if you learn how the bike wants to be shifted it isn't much of a "problem".13? are supposed to have upgraded speakers.
The transmission is the biggest difference that I know of.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Is there any big difference in the model year, say 2010-2013? I've read a lot of info and can't seem to find any differences. There are a few used XR's around my area and for the right price, I wouldn't be opposed to a used bike....Mike
The 2011 and up models received the tranny mod mentioned above (more helical cut gears and a neutral finder feature) plus ABS. My 2010's tranny shifts just fine, thanks to preloading the shifter, but I would like to have the ABS. I just have to practice braking, I guess.
Other than colors, that's it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You'll have to remove a side cover to air up the rear shock unless you reroute it on the Vic. Just a trade off.
Not all Vics, you only have to open the saddle bag on a Vision.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Somewhere around 2008 Victory also changed the fuel system design. Before that you had to clean the injector throttle body every few thousand miles. After that change you never need to clean the throttle body. When it comes to defined cutoffs, I would buy a 2011 or later for much less routine maintenance between the throttle body cleaning and the 2500 vs 5000 miles oil changes.
I want a bike I can just jump on and ride. I get that with the more recent bikes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Many of us converts on here, just not many speaking up. I have ridden GL's exclusivly since 1995 until 2012 when I got my XCT. As I have said on here multipple times, had I ridden the XCT before I bought it I would have certainly bought a new wing. When i picked up the Vic I had about a 100 mile ride home, I litteraly thought I was gonna cry all the way home....LOL I hated the Vic, actually what I hated was the percieved lack of power. I say percieved becasue it had camaflouged power, meaning it got to speed effortlessly, but you didn't feel it and coming from the GL1800 it was WAY noticable. I actually told my wife when I got home that I was going to give it six months and if I still hated it I would get another wing. Over the six months I guess i somewhat got used to it, but moreso I got to where I loved to ride this thing. I didn't realize I had forgotten the actual feel of riding a motorcycle. But I still hated the perceived lack of power, then a few months ago I fixed that, and I am here to tell you I LOVE THIS BIKE. I don't miss the GW power at all now. This bike rocks, is much more comfortable to ride and is just plain fun.

A couple things I do miss however, I miss the shaft drive of the GL, I miss the extreem ease of pulling the rear wheel, I miss the ability to auto air the suspension, and I miss the wired comms when I ride with my wife. To me the wing handled a bit better, but you don't lose much when moving to this bike. I hear the Vision handles a bit better, but after riding one 50 miles I knew that was not the bike for me, way to cramped (even moreso than the wing. I am 6'2" and about 265 lbs.) Beyond that I honestly feel I now have the perfect bike for me. I think about it from time to time and laugh thinking I went from hating this bike to it becoming an absolute blast to ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts