Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting in a dry but unheated locker unit since November my 2010 Cross Country is surprisingly crusty on some of the finishes. The normally shiny outermost rings around the wheels are caked with white powder, as are the forged "Y"s at the bottoms of the forks. The front axles seem to be seeping black goo, like the grease got frozen out partially, and the biggest disappointment to me is my front fender's paint is bubbling like crazy all around the front lip. This bike now only looks great from a distance and that's No Bueno. Sorry about the poor pic but she's nosed into her home-shed now and I'm too lazy to pull her out into the light right now. When I do get a chance to begin the cleanup process I may find more things that need attention. Weeks upon weeks of sub-freezing temps in the NorthEast have not been kind.

I'm pretty sure the rims will clean up with just nevr-dull and elbow grease but the front fender will be a bit harder - I'll probably pull it and mask off the front couple inches, painting it a flat black for protection, then redesigning my scroll wrap to cover the offending area. For me that will be easier than fully repainting the whole fender to Midnight Cherry. I'm less sure what to do about the "Y"s at the bottom of the front forks - those are painted from the factory I believe, or cleared? Would I need to grind them down to bare pot metal first? How have others handled wear in this area? And about those front axles - does grease freeze and push out? It definitely seems to be weeping. I'm weeping too - and looking furiously into a heated shed for next winter.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Eew. Wonder how that happened. Rock chip the paint at the edge or something?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Cold weather is not your problem. Whether "Rock chip" or something else, water somehow got to the metal as what is shown in the pic is beginning stages of corrosion/rust on the leading edge of the fender.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
When I had my Suzuki M50 I used to complain about the "cheap" plastic front and rear fenders. I am starting to re-think that!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Same with the GoldWing front fender...

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
I wanted to click LIKE, but had second thoughts cuz I really don't like what happened. Looks like Coast Cancer to me. Keep us posted on how you remedied this mess. Sad.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I would agree. My front fender has some pretty nasty chunks taken out of it, some down to bare metal and nearly 7 years old and I am not rusting yet. I did do my best to touch them up but not very well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would suspect that there was a lot of moisture present in that storage unit
It didn't seem like it but this is in Salisbury MA which is within spittin distance to the Atlantic. There might be ambient salt-rich moisture in the air. If it stops raining later today I might get it out for a better look because I thought I saw some slight action on the lip of the rear fender as well. The factory paint on the 2010's fenders might be kinda thin but the fairing, tank and sidecovers are all holding up great, very shiny and deep.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
There's a fellow on this forum who makes adhesive decals and I bet he can make you something that will cover those blemishes. Just saying.

·
Registered
564 Posts
There's a fellow on this forum who makes adhesive decals and I bet he can make you something that will cover those blemishes. Just saying.
Would certainly be more cost effective than a re-paint but even with a wrap would still need to do proper prep work and sealing on the exposed, corroded steel prior to applying the wrap.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
even with a wrap would still need to do proper prep work and sealing
Yep, that's the plan fellas. It's damn frustrating that riding weather pretty much coincides with my work being busy-as-hell season, but when I get the chance you can bet it will be coming off to have the leading and trailing edges repaired to a solid color which will be completely covered by redesigned wrap-ettes. I'll basically redesign what's there now by filling in the space between the two sides with more pattern to cover my paint repair. Once I have a pattern for this I could do it for others having similar troubles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts