Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody happen to know what gauge the wiring is on the handle bar control's. also a good place to buy wires that have the colors needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
I honestly don't know.. It would depend on the circuit which is being controlled.. If nobody jumps in with a more definitive answer, I know you can buy a wire gauge, they are relatively inexpensive..

This is a good one, but you can get them for about a third of the price..

AWG Wire Gauge

Wire Strippers ...Have a few Common gauges built into them..

Also.. If you have a way to accurately measure the width of the wire (with a pair of calipers for example) you can also gauge the wire using a chart

If you know what voltage and current the wire is carrying, and the distance it needs to carry that current, you can calculate the minimum gauge you need to use too.

Once you know what gauge you need, colored wiring should be easier to find.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used 18ga. when I had to stretch those wires installing pull back handle bars. None of the handle bar controls carry much current load. But insulation thickness and number of strands in the wire can have a major effect on the overall wire bulk and flexibility. If you are making splices in the sheath along the handle bars, make sure they are well insulated and stagger them so they don't all sit on top of each other.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I was going to run the wires through the bars but the holes ain't even close so I'm going to run em as clean as i can outside the bars. also found a guy on eBay to buy wire by the foot in several color combos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts