Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting higher bars on my V92c, and am in the process of splicing in extensions in my handlebar wiring. Got the first half done, and now have to run the wires through the bars. Any tips for doing this? Was planning on running something though, attaching the wire and pulling them through sort of like a fish tape, or whatever it's called. Figured I'd spray the crap out of the inside of the bars wd-40 or something to make it easier. That sound ok, or is there something better I should use?

Also, the inside of the switch housings are filthy, and my trigger switches aren't really working great, is there something I can use to clean them out that won't damage anything?

·
13,038 Posts
Take some string wad it up at the end of the bar and give it a shot of air. Presto its at the bottom.
Tape wires to string and pull them threw.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Going to an electrical supply company today to pick up more heat shrink, and I'll look for the cleaner while I'm there. Have a right angle at the bottom of the bars, so think after I run my fish and get everything taped I'll have to use wd-40 to lube everything up to get it through the bars. 14 wires on one side and 13 on the other. Going to be a tight fit at the 90 on the bottom.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got that pic. I am interested when you are up and running because I have bars about 14 in and the vibration at 3000rpm is a pita.:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brakeline is on it's way, so I should be up and running in a week. Have to find out about the vibration then I guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recommend buying some cable pulling lubricant for pulling your wires. WD40 will be less than ideal. Wire lube is available at big box home improvement stores for about $10 for a bottle. A whole bottle will be way more than you need, but it's designed to work, and dry in a conduit without damaging the wire jacket.
If you're super cheap, baby powder works too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As an auto electrician I have always used baby powder[it is only talcum powder] its the best and cheap. Use heaps of it and just blow off with compressed air.cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts