Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone wired the XCT for a a Trailer? there has got to be a better place to pick up the wiring besides under the fender with the CB/ ABS, and other stuff there.:(

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
One of the last posts in the show off your cross country posts has a guy with a trailer. Maybe ask him? What are you doing for a hitch and trailer? Im curious about doing it myself.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bushtech hitch was a breeze to install.
However,

The wiring harness is a universal type from Electrical connection.. and it is reael busy in that rear fender.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Anyone wired the XCT for a a Trailer? there has got to be a better place to pick up the wiring besides under the fender with the CB/ ABS, and other stuff there.:(
Your XCT should have a four wire pigtail coming off of the rear harness, ready to connect to your trailer lights. No controller necessary.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Squatch,

I just finished a bushtec install on a XCT with an isolator. I also found that the wiring would have been a pain in the ass if I had to break into the factory harness. So I did a little research and came up with factory style connectors that I built a pig tail onto. Basically you reach under the rear fender and unplug the wiring harness that goes to the read tail light and turn signal assembly. Then you just plug this harness into both plugs that you just unplugged.

I have only built the one so far but it worked great! I purchased enough of these to make a bunch of the harnesses with the intention of selling them. Not trying to get rich here, just wanting to cover my parts and some of my time. I was thinking around $25 bucks for the harness. I have not got around to it yet but, if your interested, I can make one up.
Now you would still have to connect your wiring or isolator to the new harness. This can be done on the work bench, though. After that just plug it in. If your interested ill try to post some pics later today or tomorrow.

Bill

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Your XCT should have a four wire pigtail coming off of the rear harness, ready to connect to your trailer lights. No controller necessary.
Gunslinger,

I've seen you post this info before. I've also seen people say they couldn't find this on there bikes. I am in the latter category. I sure wish I was able to find this it would have made my life much easier!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found a couple empty single connectors, but not seen a 4 wire connector yet. Is this connector down by the ABS unit?

And is it a connector or just wires?

Thanks Rob.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Squatch,

I just finished a bushtec install on a XCT with an isolator. I also found that the wiring would have been a pain in the ass if I had to break into the factory harness. So I did a little research and came up with factory style connectors that I built a pig tail onto. Basically you reach under the rear fender and unplug the wiring harness that goes to the read tail light and turn signal assembly. Then you just plug this harness into both plugs that you just unplugged.

I have only built the one so far but it worked great! I purchased enough of these to make a bunch of the harnesses with the intention of selling them. Not trying to get rich here, just wanting to cover my parts and some of my time. I was thinking around $25 bucks for the harness. I have not got around to it yet but, if your interested, I can make one up.
Now you would still have to connect your wiring or isolator to the new harness. This can be done on the work bench, though. After that just plug it in. If your interested ill try to post some pics later today or tomorrow.

Bill

Bill,
PM sent. Love to get one of your custom Harnesses.

Cheers
Squatch

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it were a little less snowy I would make a run out your way.

Have family in Tinely Park

Cheers
Rob.

·
Registered
301 Posts
hey guys
sure would like to see some pics of these bikes. its been a whyle i was on her. but seen a lot of trailors this past weekend at bike event in angel city unadela ga.
thanks alot ron

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RonFox,
Will shoot some this weekend. Sorry the colors are a bit off as the Trailer was painted to match my 2005 Gold Wing, Illusion blue, bit darker than the Boardwalk blue XCT.

24cubic feet of shopping cart Bushtech turbo II, plus a coolerthumb up

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I have found a couple empty single connectors, but not seen a 4 wire connector yet. Is this connector down by the ABS unit?

And is it a connector or just wires?

Thanks Rob.
It's not a connector, it's just a black pigtail that protrudes off of the main rear harness, with four wires in it (that are folded over and covered with blue tape on the ends). Maybe this is why no one seems to be able to find it.... there is NO connector on the pigtail, I put my own Delphi weatherpak on it.

I will repeat, this came from the factory on my '11. I do not believe that my bike is some sort of one off prototype, the pigtail must be on all 11 and newer Visions, if not the X bikes too.

I have posted pics elsewhere on this site.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting... Some one at Victory was thinking trailers?..

Buellx72 has a set up to plug and play just need to add the isolator and fit a connector for the trailer.

Thanks for the update

Cheers

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Harness Pics

Ok, I know Squatch is waiting impatiently! :D

Here are some pics of the harness I put together and the basic location.

IMG_2155.jpg
Factory type weather proof connectors, soldered splices and adhesive coated shrink tubing.

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg
The plug is under the seat about 6" back from the edge of the fender. I just used a screw driver to pop it apart then put my harness between the two connectors. Simple!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chomping! LOL.

Bill you have restored my faith in this forum.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very Cool bit o kit. Snapped it in and wired the isolator/connecter on and I have trailer lights.

Many , Many thanks sir. saved me a bunch of time.

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
So can anyone tell me where they run the wires for trailer hook up for the Vision. I can't seem to find a good hole to take the wires from under the seat to the trailer itself.

And by the way I just installed a hitchdoc hitch on my Vision and I did it without taking the rear wheel off. What a pain in the butt that was. I kept looking at the Bushtec's but they were about twice as high. I have never taken a rear wheel off a motorcycle and that was just something I didn't want to try without first seeing someone else do it. I do believe now I could but the Hitchdoc on a lot quicker if I had to do it again. After you find a way to get your hands up there to put on the nuts and find a way to get the ratchet extensions up there to tighten the nuts up it wasn't too bad. BUT, if I had known how to get the back wheel off, I would say it would be much easier that way.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Iron Head, Just a guess but can you follow the tail light wiring loom down?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts