Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my kickstand pad is ripping off my XC. Looks like I can get one at a dealer for $10 and then have to find a way to rivet it back on, or I can get the Witch Doctors kit for $27. I'd be OK spending $27 on this with them, but they want $18.54 for the cheapest shipping (to MN) on this tiny part!! What the hell?? I shipped my whole seat to Cali in an oversized box for $30. A set of tires can be shipped for $15-20.

Does anyone have a discount code for cheaper shipping at WD? Otherwise I'm going to the dealer.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wow. Over $12 from Ohio to Virginia. That's pretty bad. I think it comes with some bolts, but still...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would call them. Maybe they have other shipping options that aren't listed on the web. I payed around $11 for several items in a pretty large box (Ohio to Michigan) back in January.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I get alot of small parts via good ol mail, as said, givim a call...:)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I saved on shipping costs a few times asking the provider to send the item snail mail rather than courier. USPS is really quiet efficient and doesn't take all that long and they provide good tracking info. Once it gets to Canada Post though it goes into the deep dark void. If you're not in a big hurry in which a couple of days make a difference it's a safe route to use.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
C'mon guys, you can do better than that. Why mess with rivets? Buy the $10 Vic one and go to your friendly neighborhood hardware store. First measure how long the screw has to be to accommodate the mounted pad, nut and two flat washers. I bought button head screws and painted them and the washers black. Now, when the rubber pad needs replacing, all I will need is a new pad. Bingo, bango bongo!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
WD does use USPS , His shipping prices are ridiculous . I joined the Head Hunter club just to get the free shipping , but its only on orders of 100.00 or more .I just compile an order and when it hits the mark I place the order . I hate shipping charges , I think WD costs himself a lot of sales on smaller items due to his overtly high shipping / handling .

·
Registered
522 Posts
C'mon guys, you can do better than that. Why mess with rivets? Buy the $10 Vic one and go to your friendly neighborhood hardware store. First measure how long the screw has to be to accommodate the mounted pad, nut and two flat washers. I bought button head screws and painted them and the washers black. Now, when the rubber pad needs replacing, all I will need is a new pad. Bingo, bango bongo!
From experience I can tell you the stock rivets are hard to peen over, I had the kickstand off the bike and on a 20 ton hydraulic press and still buggered up a rivet. Do as RICZ suggests. I used regular 6mm hex bolts, I just ground the head of the bolts down so they were recessed into the pad like the rivets were but could still get a socket on them, and used dome nuts on the top side and a drop of loctite.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
These are the bolts you can use, only shorter of course :ltr: with rings... one forum member used an old tire and put these bolts in the side-stand, would look cool right ?

Anyway, that is what WD uses, messing colour, but anything goes I guess?

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Sorry, now picture attached

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, now picture attached
Yeah, WD uses a smaller version of barrel nuts like these. Anyone know the size & length needed for the barrel nut and bolts that would work for this? I'd prefer to just buy the Vic part and my own hardware instead of riveting or paying WD's huge shipping charge.

I will call and ask them about cheaper shipping, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the tips, folks.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
When mine wore out, I bought 3 piece from WD together with other stuff, when the 3 piece gone I will fabricate the rubber from a Tire or something else of ply-rubber

Cutting rubber lubrication is as per below, just dip your knif into a cup OF ;;;;:

1. Soapy water
2. Ammonia or toilet cleaner

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure what you are buying.
I bought 2 from WD and they were screws.
Order was under 40 bucks including shipping.
I wanted to buy the WD package that includes an (apparent) factory rubber pad with two barrel nuts (or 'binding post') and two screws. Price was $26.xx and $18.56 shipping.

After this post and continued frustration with WD I decided to just buy a pad from my dealer and ordered a couple binding post nut/screw combos from McMaster-Carr. Way cheaper than WD, even before shipping.

I've looked for things on WD before and always had the issue with large shipping charges. Never quite this outragous, but always consistent. Their prices aren't discount to start with, and high shipping makes it worse. Fortunately there are always alternatives to using them.

Rob

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
WD service is first rate , on the other hand his prices seem to be rising at a geometric rate . Shipping included . I deduct he wants everyone to join his Headhunter club , which seems to be a good deal overall .

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
That's as bad as me buying the rusty jones bushings for the brake pedal and tranny - price was like $23, package weighed like an ounce, charged me $9 shipping and put it in a box about 8" square. A padded mailer would've only been a buck :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts