Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dear friend, Navy Craig, is gone. I will miss him so much. I feel terrible for his wife, children, and friends.

We had a trip planed... Three days of riding with some of my old friends and Craig was excited to do the ride and meet some new people. We headed out Friday morning, taking our time along the scenic route. We stopped at the sign as you enter the Blue Ridge Parkway and he took a picture of the bikes in front of the sign and sent it to his wife in a text. This was to be his last communication.

Somewhere between mile marker 18 and 19 of the Parkway, cruising through the sweeping curves at 50-60 mph, I look in the mirror... no Craig. I slowed to wait and see if he would appear. He did not. My heart sank. I turned around and headed back North. A couple of turns back I see the belly of his bike against the tree line, maybe 40' from the roadway and I expect to see Craig pacing and cussing... but he's nowhere to be seen.

As I run toward the tree line I see him. He is on his left side against the base of a tree , the bike is on its right side, the back end on top of his legs, and he's not moving. When I get to him his eyes are open, no pulse, not breathing. I know I shouldn't move him but I have to at this point. I grab the bike and pick it up by the rear rim and move it over a couple of feet so I can roll him onto his back. I scream "CRAIG! Come on buddy, CRAIG!". I tilt back his head to clear an airway... there is blood coming from the corner of his mouth. I start CPR... I push down for the first chest compression and hear a clicking and his chest feels like mush. His eyes were looking back at me in a blank stare... That's when I knew.

The sound of a car coming.... They stop when they see me waving my arms. "Call 911!" They grab a phone... "There is no service up here, you must drive until you have service and call... HURRY!".

Another car comes... it stops. A woman who looks just like Kelly Monaco gets out. She says she's an EMT. She rushes to Craig and checks him. A sullen look comes over her face and she says, "Oh, Sweetie, he's gone.". She promises to get a call out and leaves... her daughter didn't need to see this... A van stops. The lady in the passenger seat is a nurse. She confirms the obvious. A couple pulling a camper stop. They give me a bottle of water and wait with me until the ambulance and Park Police arrive.

When the ambulance and police come, they tell me this will take a long time and I need to try to notify his wife. They tell me to ride to the intersection of 664... there is signal there in the parking area... I take Craig's phone and go. When I get some signal I call his wife. No answer. I call back on my phone. No answer, I leave a message. I wait... OK, I call Puss and tell her what happened, I give her the phone number... she says she will drive to their house. I hang up and head back to the scene. The officers tell me that the local police are also looking for her (phone and home address) to notify her. There is no way to communicate from the scene, but much to be done.

Hours go by... the police reconstruct the accident as best they can. Craig's body is taken to the local mortuary. The bike is picked up on a wrecker. Everyone is baffled by how Craig and the bike were positioned and how they got that way... a strange juxtaposition of things indeed.

When it's all said and done and I get back to civilization I call Puss. Craig's wife, Pam, has been notified. I call Pam... she answers... That's pretty much when I lost it. I texted her pictures of the business cards for the funeral home and towing company and told her all I knew.

After that call, I look at the 20 text messages and listen to the 20 voicemails in my phone, make a few calls... the general consensus is that I should go to the Hotel in Lexington and spend the night... no one wants me riding home in the dark by myself in this frame of mind. I agreed. I shoot a group text to the SM City crew to let them know. I jump on the bike and head to the hotel... exhausted... hungry... still can't believe this isn't a bad dream.

As I was riding home today I realized exactly what happened and why things were positioned the way they were...
When the bike left the road it went straight a while, then it kicked sideways. From the marks on the ground, the bike dug in... at that point it must have high-sided Craig off. He slid up to a tree and the bike came down on him, crushing him between the bike and the tree, and falling over across his legs. The bike hit the tree hard enough to bust all the bark off it for a 2 feet long bare spot. With the impact from an 850 pound motorcycle, he never had a chance.

Home now. Been to Craig's house. I gave Pam the phone and the GPS off the bike... She is there with family and Craig's best friend and his wife are there as well. They all wanted the details. I gave them. THAT was very tough to get through. The whole thing seems so surreal...

Craig will be cremated. There will be no official funeral. The family intends a celebration of his life for family and close friends only.

I trust everyone will ride with their passenger pegs down for a while in honor of our departed friend. He served his country all of his adult life and was a father of two. We will miss him... he was a sweet man and a good friend.

Godspeed Craig.

On left...

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
OMG, HC! Prayers for everyone involved in this tragic situation.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
HC, that is a magnificent write up, exhibiting much respect for the deceased, those concerned and the reader. My heart goes out to you and Craig's family and friends.
I just came home from a four day ride with a friend who is two years younger than me at age 78 and I think about the what ifs. I already lost a riding buddy who was four years older than me, but to cancer, not riding. Still, its tough to lose a friend and riding buddy, so I have great sympathy for what you are going through - that has to be very hard for you. I admire you for writing about it and sharing that with us, we who did not know Craig as you did.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Pegs down tomorrow for our fallen brother.

No working during the drinking hours.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Prayers inbound for all involved and everyone left behind. This is such a tragedy. Wow HC, what an awesome friend Craig had in you. God bless you sir.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I already shared in the other land but that was before seeing the pic. It looks like he was having a great time and if it was his time to go it looks like that would have been one of the better ways.

Im very saddened by this and hope his family finds peace in knowing he was doing something he loved.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prayers inbound for all involved and everyone left behind. This is such a tragedy. Wow HC, what an awesome friend Craig had in you. God bless you sir.
Mark, I can't believe he's gone. I appreciate your kind words, I can only hope I was as good a friend to him as he was to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, so saddened to hear we are another treasured soul down.
Your description and feelings captivated me, not easy to do. Thank you for sharing, how quickly life unfolds and folds, and now he has gone, doing what he loved.
You are a good friend

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
My condolences to you and his family. Didn't know him except for his posts here but he seemed like one of the good guys for sure.
Sorry to see him pass.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Sad news indeed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So sorry for the loss of your friend. My prayers go out to his family and close friends of his like yourself.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Prayer sent for Craig's everlasting peace and more, (if you don't believe, then please accept sincere best wishes), and for comfort for all of his family and friends. HC, you have been through a time of trauma, for the sake of a friend, so I pray for peace in your heart and soul. May God bless and care for you!

·
Registered
426 Posts
HC I am so very sorry for your loss and the loss to his family. Your story truly made me sick inside as I can't imagine having to have been in your shoes. What a terrible terrible thing!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I didn't know navycraig, but to me one of the measures of a man are the words he leaves behind. So I took a few minutes to read some of his posts. Clearly he was a kind and decent man. His posts were helpful, informative and respectful. I can only imagine the void left by his passing. Thank you for your service and Rest In Peace Brother!

http://www.victoryforums.com/search.php?searchid=10598577&pp=25

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Rest In Peace NavyCraig, you will be remembered on the forums, love and peace for your family ,

HC i read your story and tears welled up in my eyes, these days will be difficult for the family and friends, strength for all .... my thoughts will be for NavyCraig & Family

http://www.victoryforums.com/members/15462-navycraig.html

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Wow, that's really a tough one. Must have been extremely difficult to keep it together. So sorry for his loss and my condolences to you and his family. May he forever ride free.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am so so sorry to hear of this loss and can't imagine how this must be for you.

My prayers are with you and his family and pray that everyone will find peace though this time of sadness.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts