Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
Most of my question is in the heading. As I can advance timing with a pcv(I'm correct in this?) does a Lloyd's timing wheel do anything else I should think about, etc. learning and doing my research so all advice is appreciated.
Cy

·
Registered
332 Posts
PCV can only advance timing above 2500 rpm. The timing wheel is mechanical (entire rpm range)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Put the wheel in at +4 , do not mess with PCV timing , it is a delicate matter , the steel framed bikes do not like a lot of advance and you may get pinging . (Bad) Unless you get it tuned on a dyno , stick to the basics . :wink It is not redundant , but it is a solid choice to go with the timing wheel .

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
With a pcv is a Lloyd's timing wheel redundant
No, its the other way around....adding advance in PC-V is probably not needed and might be harmful to the bike. The ATS adds mechanical changes to all rpms adding advance here will move the curve power lower in the rpm range making the bike feel better under most riding conditions. The PC-v ignition timing only effects rpms over 2.5k and is really only needed for very high performance applications and builds.

I have a PC-V and a Lloydz ATS installed at +4. When I had the first professional tuning back in April some of the upper throttle positions on the PC-V were as much as +6(this would be on top of the +4 mechanical advance form the ATS). Over the last few months I've had some issues heat and how the bike was running. Also, I also don't often crank my throttle but when a friend rode it and did, he heard it "ping" under hard acceleration.
Fast forward to last weekend. I brought the bike to another professional dyno tuner here in CT. He asked me to stay in the room and watch the process as he checked it over and adjusted the mapping. On to the ignition, he did several WOT pulls before and after zero-ing the timing advances in the PC-V and there was no difference in the Hp/Tq curves. He left them at zero. The tuners comment to me was "why run all that advance if it does nothing for your numbers?"....I agreed.
On a side note....Since this re-tune my XC has never run so strong, its really tight and responsive.
(besides the PC-V / ATS, I run a Lloydz air filter and Miller Mufflers)

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Normally, the wheel gets set to +4 and a couple of degrees of additional advance is added in the PC-V only at 80% and 100% throttle.

The advantage to the wheel is advance below 2500 rpm, which will bring up the torque at low rpm.

·
13,262 Posts
smoothfront

please add to your signature year and model bike you have.
It will help you and us

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Normally, the wheel gets set to +4 and a couple of degrees of additional advance is added in the PC-V only at 80% and 100% throttle.

The advantage to the wheel is advance below 2500 rpm, which will bring up the torque at low rpm.
Bazinga!

Assuming that you have the cross bike in your avatar, go with the timing wheel at +4 to start with and don't mess with adding any timing to the PCV unless tuned on a dyno by a pro.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Bazinga!

Assuming that you have the cross bike in your avatar, go with the timing wheel at +4 to start with and don't mess with adding any timing to the PCV unless tuned on a dyno by a pro.
Hhhhmmmmmmph , sounds familiar .....:wink

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup that's my new girl in pic. Just ordered timing wheel, get air filter next pay check, n my brother works for pcv company so that's coming last n I'll have it dyno'd, any recommendation on what I should have them program during dyno? Thanks,
Cy

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Yup that's my new girl in pic. Just ordered timing wheel, get air filter next pay check, n my brother works for pcv company so that's coming last n I'll have it dyno'd, any recommendation on what I should have them program during dyno? Thanks,
Cy
The tuner should know exactly what to program, if not, run away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts