Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some of you guys of use the Wix oil filters. I typically use Wix filters for all of my vehicles. But I noticed a difference between the Wix filter and the Victory filter. The Victory filter is much longer (see picture). I found this interesting because I have always considered the Wix filters the gold standard of oil filters. But if the Victory oil filter is longer one would think that it has an increased filter area over the Wix filter and therefore would have better long term performance.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have seen it before the shorter filter will do as good of a job as the longer I dont think there is that much of a difference in this case in my option

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I wouldn't think it would matter either. I've got a 12 year old chevy truck that I buy what ever oil is on sale and what ever filter is the cheapest/ on sale. All the filters I have bought for it are different sizes but never a problem in the last 250k miles (front diff and water pumps is a different story).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't imagine that the math is much different one to the other. Didn't I read on here or someplace that Wix is the OEM for Vic?
The conversation would be something like...
Wix: "We have run the numbers and have a filter application that more than covers the Freedom Engine specified requirements."
Vic: "Too cheap and it doesn't have our logo."
Wix: "OK. We'll put your decal on it for a penny a unit and you can mark it up a couple of bucks."
Vic: "How about that and you make the can an inch or two longer and we mark it up another 10 bucks? Wouldn't want folks to think that they could save money by buying the same filter cheaper from you guys."
Wix: "Done! Pleasure doing business with you guys. Now what club do you guys recommend for the hook at the treeline on the 8th hole?"

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
All the filters I have bought for it are different sizes but never a problem in the last 250k miles.
Prezactly. Motorcyclists worry endlessly over this stuff and 99% of them will never put enough miles on a bikes for it to be an issue if they used cooking oil and bypassed their filter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Wix 51356 is the equivilent to the Polaris filter, but the 51365 will work too. You will change your oil before the surface area becomes an issue, but next time get the 51356. Same bypass, same max flow, little different burst pressure but not relevent.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good like some pretty good explanations to me. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Wix 51356 is the equivilent to the Polaris filter, but the 51365 will work too. You will change your oil before the surface area becomes an issue, but next time get the 51356. Same bypass, same max flow, little different burst pressure but not relevent.
The Wix 51358 is the same filter as the 51356 only it's longer for more capacity and is probably very close to the same dimension as the Victory filter in the comparison photo.

·
Registered
62 Posts
..................height......bypass.......max flo
Wix 51356....3.4 in.......8-11...........9-11
Wix 51358....2.78 in.......8..............8-10
Wix 51365....2.57 in......8-11..........9-11

Wix website has all the data (except efficiency)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh, and by the way, even though all three will fit, the only filter Wix recommends for Victory is 51356. The 51358 is the one they recommend for most Polaris machines, and the 51365 is for one particular Polaris machine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
..................height......bypass.......max flo
Wix 51356....3.4 in.......8-11...........9-11
Wix 51358....2.78 in.......8..............8-10
Wix 51365....2.57 in......8-11..........9-11

Wix website has all the data (except efficiency)
Oh, and by the way, even though all three will fit, the only filter Wix recommends for Victory is 51356. The 51358 is the one they recommend for most Polaris machines, and the 51365 is for one particular Polaris machine.
That's the information that clears everything up. I looked on this forum somewhere and could have sworn that the 51365 was the filter that was recommended for my bike. But in fact it is the 51356 that is recommended and that is indeed why the Wix filter that I have is shorter than the factory filter. Because it is not the recommended filter!

I guess next time I should just go to the manufacturer website. LOL. :)

I'll swap this filter for the correct filter. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Amazon says Fram PH6017A for Victory bikes. This crosses to the 51365. This should help confuse you. I will probably just get the K&N filter. I was happy to find the same filter fits my Onan generator.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Fram is a wix
Fram is not a Wix. Not even close. In O'Rileys they have all the filters pulled apart so you can see inside them. They are night and day different. Fram is the cheapest crappy filters, Wix are some of the best.

Wix Does make Napa Filters.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What is quality of the K&N? Is it worth the money, or would I just be paying for the sticker?
It is a good quality filter but you are paying extra for the name and the bolt on the top of it. That is a nice feature, but I would not pay extra for it.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Fram is not a Wix. Not even close. In O'Rileys they have all the filters pulled apart so you can see inside them. They are night and day different. Fram is the cheapest crappy filters, Wix are some of the best.

Wix Does make Napa Filters.
they make the cheap filter for Fram. Do a search this subject has been discussed in detail,thumb up

·
Registered
251 Posts
they make the cheap filter for Fram. Do a search this subject has been discussed in detail,thumb up
I did a search and can not find anything like that. Honeywell actually manufactures Fram filters themselves. I think you are confusing Fram with Napa. If you have a link, please post it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts