Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using Wix 51356 filter, and wanted to compare it to the Victory filter. After cutting open two new filters I can say with confidence that the Victory filter is made by Wix. However there are some differances.
The wix filter has the by-pass valve between the base plate and the filter element. The Wix has the by-pass valve in the metal end cap above the filter element. The Victory filter pleats are evenly spaced and gather togather with a metal clip. Other wise they look alike.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to chop up a couple filters. Interesting info I wonder how a Mobil 1 M-110 would compare.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Yes, Thanks for your efforts to share the info/photos on the filters.

Well done! thumb up

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to chop up a couple filters. Interesting info I wonder how a Mobil 1 M-110 would compare.
Champion Labs make Mobile 1 filters and they are a solid offering. Bosch comes from Champion as well. I have suspected WIX of making the Vic filters as well, along with several others.
In actuality there aren't a lot of filter makers. They produce them to "spec" for a brand and go from there.
Here is some reading for you. It is older and some things have changed over time, but you'll get the jist. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html
The author prefers Puolator pure one filters, but in all if you read around and look at what is shown, you'll see there are plenty of good ones out there and the prices really don't have a lot to do with the quality.

Cheers

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great info, but why not just buy the Vic filter?
My guess is because you can pick up the Wix for less than the Vic, and the Wix can be bought at almost any parts store.

·
12,984 Posts
Just asking are there the same number of plets in the paper?

Wix filter auto zone $6.99

·
Registered
190 Posts
That is true, and there more honda dealers around than vic's, and they are also cheaper than vic's. So what is the point??:rolleyes:
The point is that not everybody has a Victory dealer conveniently nearby to purchase a Victory oil filter. Not sure what you meant by the eye roll and the Honda dealer comment...if you want to stop by your local Honda dealer for a filter your Victory, go ahead, they will have one since many Hondas use the same filter as the Vic.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is true, and there more honda dealers around than vic's, and they are also cheaper than vic's. So what is the point??:rolleyes:
Great info, but why not just buy the Vic filter?
Im fairly lucky in that fact that my Victory dealer is only 45 mins away.

.....but we arent riding HD.....the dealer network is sparse compared to other manufacturers.

That being said.....NAPA is 200 YARDS away. So I can by a WIX filter from NAPA for $4.80 (I have an account) and have zero travel time.

......or I can spend almost 2 hours and pay near $15 for something that does the same thing.

Long ago I decided to stock 2 oil filters and enough oil to service everything I own....got tired of having to run around to gather stuff to do an oil change. Its been really handy when servicing bikes before trips.

......3 cars, 1 ATV, 1 lawn mower, 5 motorcycles......x 2 = lots of filters......but its so convenient.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Champion Labs make Mobile 1 filters and they are a solid offering. Bosch comes from Champion as well. I have suspected WIX of making the Vic filters as well, along with several others.
In actuality there aren't a lot of filter makers. They produce them to "spec" for a brand and go from there.
Here is some reading for you. It is older and some things have changed over time, but you'll get the jist. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html
The author prefers Puolator pure one filters, but in all if you read around and look at what is shown, you'll see there are plenty of good ones out there and the prices really don't have a lot to do with the quality.

Cheers
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Yeah I got a generic Cooper filter at the Auto Parts store across the road for five bucks, change both my oil and filter before its due and use top Aussie oil for Aussie conditions Penrite M/C 10-50, $40 Aus dollars.
Vic oil is $75 + $19 filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts