Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the KP out for a spin tonight and once I'm in 4th gear the bike just revs WAYYY out at 50mph and wont go a tick over it, same thing in 5th and 3rd seems to be revving a little high as well but concerning none the less

suggestions?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I were to guess id say its probaly your clutch slipping. How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It could be the clutch cable needing adjustment. With so few miles I highly doubt its the clutch plates themselves.

Do you have any free play in the lever before it actually starts engaging the clutch? If not the clutch could be engaged even when you are not pulling the lever causing the bike to rev and not accelerate under heavier loads but not at lower speeds.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if it helps narrow it down, I was just cut off by another driver on the road so I turned around real quick to catch up and...well thats besides the point but as I turned around and went to accelerate the bike seemed to bog in 2nd gear a bit which wasnt happening earlier. As far as freeplay there is plenty of freeplay in the clutch

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you done any mods recently? Is the bike stock?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just a wild guess, but the clutch cable broke on my Kingpin at 5K. Maybe you have a frayed cable that is not allowing the clutch to return fully and this is causing slipping. Check your clutch cable closely. Mine broke at the clutch lever.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If you can't tell if the clutch is slipping... and you are asking the questions that you're asking... you really should take it to a professional. Seriously.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The way you describe it, reminds me of something happened to me years ago w/my honda shadow.

After about 6 hours of riding, I was *almost* home (about 50 minutes left to go) and then suddenly BAM, would not go over about 45mph but sounded like it was rev'ing high (no tach).

I was convinced I had some crap in my fuel lines and was limping home to drain the fuel and replace the filter.

I got about 5 minutes from home and then BAM the bike shot forward and was fine ever since. I had to keep going, not straight home, because I was, ya know, concerned and happy the bike was going finally.

I never had a problem again with it of any sort. I have no proof, but I have always thought it finally just blew out whatever was clogging the line.

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts