Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been riding my 2006 Hammer daily for a month or so with no issues until I tried to leave work one day (it had just started to snow and it does sit outside). I tried to start it and it was acting like the battery was dead. So I removed it, charged it, and put it back in and when I tried to start it this time there was a really loud buzz coming from the fuze box. Under further inspection I narrowed it down to the Headlight/taillight relay that was buzzing and vibrating. So I went and picked up 2 new relays from my nearest Vic dealer and changed that relay and the fuel pump relay. Now you may want to ask if that fixed anything. Well, let me tell you that it did not. So I checked all the wires running to the fuze box to see if any disconnected or frayed and were grounding out and they all were good as new.

So now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't want to shotgun parts and I can't pay the dealer $100/hr to look at it. The only thing I can think of it being now is the fuel pump because it doesn't whine or suck or whatever on start, but the starter doesn't crank either. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
When my vic stands in the rain then all kind of electrical lights on-off by itself .....

So i even wash the bike carefully where to spray water on the handle bars

Just imagine you park it outside rain or shine ??

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
How old Is the battery?? Lode test it, A bad battery will take a charge but will lose it as soon as you hit the starter or turn on the ignition switch ie Fuel pump will draw it down...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sure sounds like a battery to me! You might have it charged up and reading 12+ volts sitting there with no load, but the starter motor draws a shyteload of current. Even a good battery can drop down to 10 volts with the starter turning. I've seen bad batteries drop down to less than 6 volts when the button is pressed...

·
13,299 Posts
If the battery is good. Open your switch housing and look for water and corrosion on starter switch.
Check relay down by starter

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Ps long time ago i had 2 bikes in the Netherlands, no car, always parked outside daily drivers for work and never any electrical switch problem..... Now i already had to change my battery and riding in the rain is on.off.on.off my big light

Question anybody sprayed there bar handles electronic with some kind of transparent paint or someting ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I'm about to go get the batter tested and I sure hope that's it. But the bike is inside my garage when I'm not riding it. It was from AZ (where I've been) and it was it's first experience with snow and it was uncovered outside. Thanks for the response guys and I'll be sure to lie if the battery was the issue so I don't feel quite as dumb. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't feel bad if it is the battery. A faulty battery will cause all kinds of problems and is often hard to diagnose. I just had to replace my battery and it is only a year and a half old and a top-of-the-line AGM battery. Replaced it with a maintenance-free battery for a Harley Davidson. It's spinning over better now than it ever has since I bought it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guess what! It was the battery. I'm just glad it's fixed. Thanks to all who answered.

But yeah with this new battery installed it seems to be burning better. I guess it's been right on the edge for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My victory was jimmyrigged with the speakers and started humming and not starting so i unplugged them and the fuse box is still humming and it wont start... Any suggestions

·
Registered
315 Posts
My victory was jimmyrigged with the speakers and started humming and not starting so i unplugged them and the fuse box is still humming and it wont start... Any suggestions
And don't park it in the lounge room.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
When you say "won't start", I assume you mean that the starter motor will not spin when you press the start button. Begin with the easy things. Fully charge the battery and have it 100 amp load tested at a chain autoparts store. If this indicated the battery is good, explore further. The next step is to make sure the bike is in neutral and jumper across the starter solenoid posts to see if this causes the starter motor to spin the engine. If so, the solenoid is likely bad. If not, then you have a problem elsewhere. You will have to explore the wiring with a multimeter to determine what the problem is. Possibilities include a faulty neutral or clutch safety switch or a broken start button. Make sure that the kill switch is on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cjecked the battery good at 12.6 the speaker wire was jimmyrigged into the turn signal horn relay of which i have unplugged but fuse box is atill buzzing wont start.. How can i reset the electrical

·
Registered
315 Posts
Can you determine which unit in the fusebox is humming?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The voltage of the battery tells you NOTHING. It can show 12.6 v and not have enough energy to turn over a tiny engine let alone the large v-twin in these bikes. Before digging deeper, take the easy and free step of charging and load testing the battery. You would be about the gazillionth person for whom a weak battery was the problem.

Reactions: ObiSteve
1 - 16 of 16 Posts