Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my saddle back today after having some internal work done to it.
My thinking was this. The stock XCT seat is the most comfortable stock seat I've ever ridden on. Its wasn't perfect for me but very good none the less. After looking over my seat options I just couldn't believe another seat would be $600+ more comfortable.
Last summer I dropped into Dave's Upholstery\Kalin Custom Seats in Oakville, Ct and talked with the owner Mark. He said for around $200 he could re-shape and add memory foam to the front and rear areas and keep my orig. cover/moisture shield, sounded good to me :)
I had duel density memory foam added to the front and rear seats, zero pressure foam added at the tail bone area and 1 1/2" off the curved ends of the back rest. No change in ride height. Total $212.00 The seat feels more supportive than I remember and I have more backwards room. Hopefully soon I can actually ride it....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Nice! thumb up

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am actually looking to do something similar. Around mile 175 (of 325) yesterday my tailbone was getting pretty sore.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am actually looking to do something similar. Around mile 175 (of 325) yesterday my tailbone was getting pretty sore.
I had zero pressure foam installed in the tailbone area. That area and the sides would get me on longer rides. I can't comment on the seat for distance yet. I can say in the short distance I rode on it that I don't feel the sides or tailbone at all and the support is excellent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My XC saddle plans

I rode my XC a little over 1200 miles last weekend. The first two legs of the trip - each about 400 miles on day 1 and 3 - were very comfortable. I didn't even think about my saddle (stock) - which is the way it should be. That last 400 miles on day 4 of the trip was excruciating though! I could not find a comfortable position no matter where I moved or how far backwards or forwards I tried to slide. I let the "bike" rest for 4 days after I got home!

I'm in California and have been looking into saddle options and there are plenty of them. This forum will serve as a great resource once I'm ready to execute my plan which is:

I purchased another stock XC saddle and am awaiting the used rear fender that I just bought. I'm planning on taking the fender into a sheet metal shop and having them "fill-in" the area of the fender that is missing due to the extended passenger portion of the seat. I'll send it out to get painted and then convert my second saddle to a cushy solo. It will take a little engineering, but since I've got duplicate parts I won't have to be without my bike during the process.

Anyone else done something like this (other than those radically re-engineered bikes)? Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased another stock XC saddle and am awaiting the used rear fender that I just bought. I'm planning on taking the fender into a sheet metal shop and having them "fill-in" the area of the fender that is missing due to the extended passenger portion of the seat. I'll send it out to get painted and then convert my second saddle to a cushy solo. It will take a little engineering, but since I've got duplicate parts I won't have to be without my bike during the process.

Anyone else done something like this (other than those radically re-engineered bikes)? Any tips or suggestions?
You need to start a thread about this process....I know there will be lots of interest. This is really part of the 'bad ass bagger" look I haven't seen much on the XC. I'm not interested in doing anything like this to mine, but I'd be interested just because ;)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would like to see this too !thumb up

·
Registered
131 Posts
You need to start a thread about this process....I know there will be lots of interest. This is really part of the 'bad ass bagger" look I haven't seen much on the XC. I'm not interested in doing anything like this to mine, but I'd be interested just because ;)
I anxiously await the final outcome of this.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Oakville CT eh? How long did it take to get it back? I'm really happy with my seat as is the mrs. but I know she wouldn't complain if I had it made even better and I've been wanting to have the thing riveted to match the saddlebags anyway. Might give this guy a call since he's local.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oakville CT eh? How long did it take to get it back? I'm really happy with my seat as is the mrs. but I know she wouldn't complain if I had it made even better and I've been wanting to have the thing riveted to match the saddlebags anyway. Might give this guy a call since he's local.
I dropped it off in January. I did tell Mark I didn't need it until March and that's when it was ready. From what I've heard unless you have another seat or bike, its best to drop seat when the bike is stored for the winter.

http://www.davesautoupholstery.com/

·
Registered
611 Posts
I dropped it off in January. I did tell Mark I didn't need it until March and that's when it was ready. From what I've heard unless you have another seat or bike, its best to drop seat when the bike is stored for the winter.

http://www.davesautoupholstery.com/
I still have the stock seat but the mrs. doesn't like that one at all so i guess I'll have to wait until next winter. Thanks for the link though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
XC Solo Seat Project

I'll start a new thread with pics once I receive the fender and start the project.

-T

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I'd follow up on this thread.
I have put about 1000 miles on the seat since I had this custom work done and I'm not happy with it. The softer foam actually made the seat more uncomfortable than it was stock. The seat has become very "pinchy" the cover starts grabbing and after a 300 mile day I was very sore and had to sleep on my side that night because my butt and tailbone were stinging....I've never had this happen even on a 600 mile day trip on the stock seat.
I talked the situation over with the owner of Dave's Upholstery and he's willing to make it right. He explained that I need a more dense/supportive foam. I'm dropping it for a redo tomorrow morning early and picking it up Wednesday morning. Since its there, he's also going to drop the height 1" and reshape the bucket by cutting back the hump to give more actual seat space.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thought I'd follow up on this thread.
I have put about 1000 miles on the seat since I had this custom work done and I'm not happy with it. The softer foam actually made the seat more uncomfortable than it was stock. The seat has become very "pinchy" the cover starts grabbing and after a 300 mile day I was very sore and had to sleep on my side that night because my butt and tailbone were stinging....I've never had this happen even on a 600 mile day trip on the stock seat.
I talked the situation over with the owner of Dave's Upholstery and he's willing to make it right. He explained that I need a more dense/supportive foam. I'm dropping it for a redo tomorrow morning early and picking it up Wednesday morning. Since its there, he's also going to drop the height 1" and reshape the bucket by cutting back the hump to give more actual seat space.
I guess all you can say about this is it's a lesson learned for you and the upholsterer. Nice to hear that they are willing to make it right for you. Sounds like you will still come out ahead on this deal.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We will see how this turns out.... hopefully I didn't make a big mistake.

Travis, I never liked the gel pads I've tried, I'd be afraid to have a permanent insert.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
We will see how this turns out.... hopefully I didn't make a big mistake.

Travis, I never liked the gel pads I've tried, I'd be afraid to have a permanent insert.

I had a 3/8 gel insert installed, then foam overtop of the gel... There is still foam underneath as well. It works great buddy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1431303818.462222.jpg I had no issues with my seat but my wife certainly did. With her back issues she was in pain after 20 minutes. After a day at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA on our trip last year she can now do 10 hour days! Stock seat pan is retained as well as the heating elements. All new foam, reshape, enlarged, gel inserts and leather covering was not cheap but soooo worth it. This is on a 2013 XCT

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had no issues with my seat but my wife certainly did. With her back issues she was in pain after 20 minutes. After a day at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA on our trip last year she can now do 10 hour days! Stock seat pan is retained as well as the heating elements. All new foam, reshape, enlarged, gel inserts and leather covering was not cheap but soooo worth it. This is on a 2013 XCT
I hope this turns out as well as your did.....I like the look of that pillion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts