Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just fueled up this morning. 29mpg, my vfc settings seem great for power but thats all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
118 Posts
It seems to me that using the stock ecu settings without having a fuel tuner would be the best mpg anyone could ever get.

Considering that fuel tuners only add fuel, it makes sense that mpg would go down considerably.

Is there something I'm missing about this?

My last fill up, I calc'd 41 mpg with all 2-up riding.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
The mileage I get with my XC is less than expected, also.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I bought my bike used it had a Big Shot fuel tuner on it, I got 25 mpg my first tank. The best I ever got after doing adjustments myself was 35, I removed it completely and if I do the speed limit I get a little over 40.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm goin with some settingsLloyd emailed me. I was getting hi 30s before

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since I only have rpw Thor pipes and stage1 air boxw/ stage1 flash I might just remove the vfc3
that should be OK I guess

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Just keep in mind that your bike, in stock form, is as lean as it can be. While that means consuming less gas and having lower emissions, it also means higher engine temperatures and shorter engine life. If saving gas is your thing, then keep the bike stock.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it came with stage1, I just changed pipes to thors from swept.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Just keep in mind that your bike, in stock form, is as lean as it can be. While that means consuming less gas and having lower emissions, it also means higher engine temperatures and shorter engine life. If saving gas is your thing, then keep the bike stock.
Well... I have to disagree. I've been averaging 46 MPG and it is not running lean by a long shot and far from stock. On trips/in groups it's returned 52 MPG. The last tank I got 42, but I was having issues with my right wrist.

Joe's 104" KP usually bests my mileage by 1 MPG if we are riding together.

1st two words: Power Commander
2nd two words: Kyle Crandall

If an 8-Ball with a basically stock engine is getting 29 mpg, the tune on it is terrible.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Got to agree I average 38-42 on my XR around town riding and better when long distance. The windshield costs me about 1mpg but for distance riding is invaluable at comfort.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Well... I have to disagree. I've been averaging 46 MPG and it is not running lean by a long shot and far from stock. On trips/in groups it's returned 52 MPG. The last tank I got 42, but I was having issues with my right wrist.

If an 8-Ball with a basically stock engine is getting 29 mpg, the tune on it is terrible.
Bone stock getting 52MPG and better.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
have stayed right at 45 since the third tank of fuel. thats 2 up
non aggressive riding .stock w/O2 sensors unplugged and that
4x8 sheet of lexan for a windshield. combined weight of the 2
of us is around 400 lbs.did pull 1 tank of 49.dont know where
that came from . these are irvin calculations not vics computer.
--irv

that 5 mpg better than my vtx 1300[actual not hondas 10%
off readings]

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Under 65 mph I can get up to 50 mpg. At 80 mpg, on the XC, it drops down to around 39-40. The Pin's are pretty much the same and they don't have the 6th gear. On the other hand; they have less wind resistance.

I'm using the PCV w/AT on the XC and just the S1 flash on the Pin's.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So what are you telling me here. Ditch the VFC3 and PCV? or just run the stage1 flash w/o o2?
I just tweaked the settings and now it stumbles alittle 1st to 2nd sometimes. Not sure rich or lean there.

The last 2 settings on the VFC3 confuss me. the Yell/blu and red/blu

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
So what are you telling me here. Ditch the VFC3 and PCV? or just run the stage1 flash w/o o2?
I just tweaked the settings and now it stumbles alittle 1st to 2nd sometimes. Not sure rich or lean there.

The last 2 settings on the VFC3 confuss me. the Yell/blu and red/blu
PC-V stands for Power Commander 5...

The VFC III comes with literature, have you read it? You can download and print it online too. If you're in Jersey, take it up to Lloydz.

What I'm telling you is it needs to be tuned. There's no better tuner for a Victory than the Power Commander.

The 02s need to be disconnected either way.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
PC-V stands for Power Commander 5...

The VFC III comes with literature, have you read it? You can download and print it online too. If you're in Jersey, take it up to Lloydz.

What I'm telling you is it needs to be tuned. There's no better tuner for a Victory than the Power Commander.

The 02s need to be disconnected either way.
Unless you're using the Auto Tune with the PC-V. Which PC are you using HC?

Edit: Nevermind. You have an 06 so it must be a PC III.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read the instructions, plus I just got the instructions from the maker as well, those are a bit more precise. Right nowi went with setup listed for exhaust and open air box. I think what led to the real lowmpg was, snot beating I would give the bike getting on the turnpike 0 to80 a fast as possible LOL. I didn't get the pcv cause if cost, and then having to dyno.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bear in mind that comparing mileage, even if it's between very similar bikes is not an exact science because riding conditions vary so greatly. On the last trip I went on from Florida to Tennesse everyone was remarking how much our mileage (all brands and types of bikes) increased as we went north. It was a significant gain of anywhere from 10 to 15 mpg as we neared the northern part of Florida, and a loss of the same when we returned. Same highway conditions, same speed of around 70. Air temp, barometric pressure, and humidity all play a role in mileage, and it can be significant.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts