Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that most guys with the Cross Roads here, didn't bother getting the chrome saddlebag protectors. Just look in the thread "Show off your Cross Roads".

I like the idea of protecting the plastic saddlebags but I'm not sure that you'd even need these chrome saddlebag protectors in the event of a normal slow speed tip-over. Would the bags suffer any damage if the bike is going slow or just tips over when on the side-stand?

I know that I don't really like the looks of these things and find that they detract from the over-all look of the bike, the bike looks better with them off IMHO. Plus, that extra money could go towards another accessory.

I've noticed that most people with these XC/XR bikes, go without the chrome saddlebag protectors. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Saddlebag guards

I can't speak for the CR guys but if I had one with the Vic hard bags, I would go with the ones like I have on my XC.
Not only do they look great, but they also afford full tip over protection.thumb up

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Others have reported minimal and non-visible damage to the saddle bags from dropping/laying the bike. The way I see it, a scraped saddle bag doesn't look any worst than a scraped crash bar. Of course, if the drop is big enough, the saddlebag would shatter while the guard would not.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Once burnt....

I had a car come out of a side street and hit me. We both hit the brakes, but her front bumper and my front wheel tried to occupy the same space and I went down hard. The crash bar did a great JOB of protecting bike and rider, but the lower, outer edge of the hardcase got a grinding. Granted, one wouldn't normally see it, but I knew it was there. I sanded it smooth and touched it up and installed a set of the chrome protector bars. They install super easy and don't interfere with bag removal - replacement. The kind like Jokerman has look great on his bike, not so good on my solid red X-Roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saddle bag guards

I had seen the bag guards sold by ArizonaVictory and thought they looked very good (Jokerman's pic). But I had some artwork done on the sides of the bags which would have been partially obscured by them so I got the Victory guards (RicZ's pic) instead. If I remember (I suffer from CRS) I'll post a pic when I get everything together.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would probably put them on my XC, if they made them out of a square type stock or something that looked closer to the front tip over protectors. I think they look fine with the tube tip over protectors but just not quite to my liking on the bars that came on my 2010 XC:)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have them on my CR and I can tell you from experience that they work. My bike popped into gear (watch were you put your hands when you are next to a running bike and looking under it) and fell on the left side. I ended up with a tiny scrape on the crash bar and a tiny scrape on the bag protector. Without GTE bag bars your bags will touch ground if your bike ends up o. Its side.
The bag bars also block off part of the front of the bags. This is bad when you are cleaning but it reduces the chance of heel scuffs. I had to buff out a few scuffs before I bought the bars; my wife swears her boots never touched them -- evidence tells another story.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well duh.... To do power slides :ltr:

For real check this link out!

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Great video! I think I'd go with the black AZ Victory bag bars. Of course I'd have to powder coat the crash bars black then to match.

It's easy to touch up black powder coating. Especially where it won't show all that much; if at all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Dealer ordered the Arizona Victory crash bars for me, arrived on saturday. I haven't mounted them yet, working on the trailer hitch. I think they not only look good, very sturdy and will offer good protection for the bags. To replace a bag if it cannot be fixed is big bucks. The idea is not to drop it, but if you ride alot it can happen. The tip over bar up front will keep it from going all the way over, but the bottom of the bag will still contact the ground. The bag guards will hopefully save your bags.

·
Registered
289 Posts
howdy

i dropped by the tucson az victory sat - mike's 3 cop bike were in ...and he stood on the rear-end of the bag-bars and bounced the bike...solid as a rock...so i reckon i will be putting them on my XC...

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
howdy

i dropped by the tucson az victory sat - mike's 3 cop bike were in ...and he stood on the rear-end of the bag-bars and bounced the bike...solid as a rock...so i reckon i will be putting them on my XC...
You watched him stand on the rear end of the bag bars and you didn't take pictures? Shame on you! :D

If that's true, sounds like a good investment, especially if you want to take two passengers along. One gets the seat, the other can stand on the crash bars. :ltr:

On a serious note, that's impressive. I did not think they were tied so well to the frame. thumb up

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
On a serious note, that's impressive. I did not think they were tied so well to the frame. thumb up
Now I wish I had taken photos when I installed mine. When you remove your hardcases, you'll see a couple black bars the are perpendicular to the bike and support the mufflers. The case protectors are bolted to the tops of those. Got the picture?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Now I wish I had taken photos when I installed mine. When you remove your hardcases, you'll see a couple black bars the are perpendicular to the bike and support the mufflers. The case protectors are bolted to the tops of those. Got the picture?
Yes they bolt there along with the slots in the top of the mufflers, just install a 1/2 inch spacer and you are good to go. I just needed two 5/16 x1/2 spacers, two 5/16 good grade bolts, couple washers and nuts for each side. Took all of maybe 10 minutes to do both sides. They are ROCK solid. In the video the scraping that you hear is part of the bag protector that you do not see. No damage or scratch to the bag guard that one would see. Sure beats 999.99 for a new bag, plus paint if you have a woops, and I think they look good too.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
The Vic kit came with everything reuired and great instructions that included torques. Could not have been easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts